CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-01-2015, 11:22 AM   #1
Sean McLeod

Profile:
Reducing noise during deadlifts

I'm thinking about switching out my iron plates in my home gym to competition bumpers. But I had a question before I purchased them, do they make less noise when deadlifting with them?
Old 11-01-2015, 12:18 PM   #2
Joey Allen

Profile:
Re: Reducing noise during deadlifts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McLeod View Post
I'm thinking about switching out my iron plates in my home gym to competition bumpers. But I had a question before I purchased them, do they make less noise when deadlifting with them?
Yes, but a quiet bar will also help. Some nicer bars do not "clang" when you set them down. Horse stall mat/s + bumpers + nice bar = pretty quiet deadlifts. That's my exact setup at the moment and my 1 year old boy sleeps with no problem in the next room over. =]

Good luck.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:27 PM   #3
Matthew S Cooper

Profile:

Do you deadlift on your Olympic platform (I think I saw a platform in your garage when I met you last year)?

I know even my cheap bumper plates are far quieter than my Ivanko iron plates, though there is still a little clank in my Pendlay bar (nothing too bad). It's also quieter doing them on the platform vs a bare concrete floor.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:16 PM   #4
Daniel OBrien

Profile:

I guess it depends on what noise you are trying to silence. There's a few noises when deadlifting - the bar clang (sleeves), the plates hitting each other, plates hitting the floor. The last one can be both a plate to ground sound and a thump/vibration.

Bumpers would cut down on the "plates hitting each other" sound...it's rubber-rubber contact instead of iron-iron. They also cut down on the plate to ground contact sound.

For the thump/vibration, you can try CFF Thug Mats: https://christiansfitnessfactory.com...-flooring.html (wfs)

Last edited by Daniel OBrien; 11-01-2015 at 07:29 PM..
Old 11-01-2015, 07:48 PM   #5
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

Bar and plates noise reduction.

Cause
- Plates Clanging
- Bar "talking"
- Thud / Vibration of landing (slow or fast lifts)

Solutions
- Rubber plates with indented sleeves, to avoid all intra plate clanging
- Small bore hole size to eliminate clang between bar and plate sleeves, can get as low as 50.04mm, but most resonably priced ones are 50.4, beware of low quality 50.8mm sized bore holes.
- As mentioned good bars "talk" less
- SHa rating of rubber plates effect how they land, high bounce = low thud, low bounce = higher thud.
- Rubber flooring and lifting platform can reduce these sounds as well.
- lastly, I've seen some rubber collars around, which would reduce noise when loading plates, but not sure I'd trust the longevity of such a system.

HTH

Sean

Last edited by Sean J Hunter; 11-01-2015 at 07:59 PM..
Old 11-01-2015, 07:58 PM   #6
Sean McLeod

Profile:

I guess I should have been more specific. I'm trying to lessen the thud sound. I lift on a platform that is two pieces of plywood thick, with a stall mat on top. Even when lowering the weights as slow as I can it still makes a big thud that you can hear inside my house, so I'm sure my neighbors can hear it as well.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:13 PM   #7
Sean McLeod

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel OBrien View Post
I guess it depends on what noise you are trying to silence. There's a few noises when deadlifting - the bar clang (sleeves), the plates hitting each other, plates hitting the floor. The last one can be both a plate to ground sound and a thump/vibration.

Bumpers would cut down on the "plates hitting each other" sound...it's rubber-rubber contact instead of iron-iron. They also cut down on the plate to ground contact sound.

For the thump/vibration, you can try CFF Thug Mats: https://christiansfitnessfactory.com...-flooring.html (wfs)
Those mats look like they might help solve my problem.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:40 PM   #8
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Don't deadlift? Problem solved!

On a serious note bumpers help, bar helps, platform helps but a deadlift is always going to make noise unless you take 10 minutes to lower it slowly and never allow tension off the bar till it is fully rested.

I can't imagine lifting all metal again. The noise is very loud. Even with just 2 metal 45s and the rest rubber the noise is loud.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:16 AM   #9
Patrick Weaver

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McLeod View Post
I guess I should have been more specific. I'm trying to lessen the thud sound. I lift on a platform that is two pieces of plywood thick, with a stall mat on top. Even when lowering the weights as slow as I can it still makes a big thud that you can hear inside my house, so I'm sure my neighbors can hear it as well.
I had issues with my neighbors complaining that I was too loud when lifting (we live in separate houses that are not connected AT ALL!) so I built a platform with carpet wells on the sides where the bumpers land. This helped tremendously.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:13 PM   #10
Matthew S Cooper

Profile:

Another possible option is to decouple your platform from the floor underneath it. I can't remember your exact layout, but it might be that the plywood of your platform makes noise against the slab underneath it (at least somewhat anyway). If you were to put some old carpet strips under your platform to insulate it from the concrete, it might help.

It doesn't help that you deadlift enormous weight.