CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-14-2014, 02:11 PM   #1
Ryan Graham

Profile:
Reached Army Standards- what now?

Hi everyone,

Haven't posted in a while, started a SS log but started my army application and so started smashing out army related workouts instead, which brings me onto my question.

Basically, the british army entry requirements (infantry) are;
-1.5 Mile in 12.00 (under 10.30 competitive score)
-150m 2X20KG Jerry Can walk
-40KG Powerbag lift to 1.45m

At the minute I'm running a 10.09 and can complete the other two tasks easily also and so I've comfortably met the standards although it could be 1-2 months before I am assessed and then another 1-2 months before starting basic training.

I'm just wondering if anyone could suggest what I should do now training wise? Just continue to attack these requirements as well as lots of push ups, sit ups and pull ups like I'll do in basic training, or do more heavy strength work to 'bulletproof' myself to avoid common training injuries? A mix? Or another suggestion completely?

A final note is that I had an ACL surgery 2 years ago, would a focus on quad/hamstring/balance also be a good idea to prehab this?

Any input is appreciated!
Old 02-14-2014, 07:01 PM   #2
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: Reached Army Standards- what now?

What are your goals?

- Mark
Old 02-18-2014, 04:37 AM   #3
Ryan Graham

Profile:

That's my problem, I don't really know what my goals are now.

My overall goal for the past few months has been to meet the requirements for joining the army, which I've now done and so I don't really know how I should structure my training up until I start basic.

I guess my goals are to be as well prepared as possible for starting basic training and reduce the chances of getting any injuries through it.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:35 PM   #4
Dakota Base

Profile:

To continue on Mark's line...

Do you have interest in focused goals?

Do you want more strength? (lift more pounds, do more push ups or pull ups)

Do you want to be faster at "mid distances"? (Faster mile time)

Do you want to develop more endurance? (more miles)

Or do you want to improve overall "general" fitness?

The difference is in how you'll train. If you want a focused goal, then you need to establish your baseline, then develop your training to improve on THAT goal. This has ONE or a few Key Performance Indicators. If you want to improve your general fitness (GPP = General Physical Preparedness), then you need establish baselines for certain Key Performance Indicators (KPI's), then develop training to improve on a broad range of goals according to those KPI's.

You're kinda walking into a shoe store and saying, "I need a new pair of shoes"... Do you want a running shoe? A dress shoe? A men's shoe? Women's shoe? High heels? Minimalist runner? Basketball shoe? Soccer cleat? Once you provide a bit more info, many of us can give more direct answers, but it's really up to you to at least decide what general direction you want to go.

Since you're going into Basic Training, my assumption would be that a GPP program would be best for you, with spread out focuses on strength development and Metabolic Conditioning (the Jerry Can walk, for example), and endurance (the 1.5mi run, or long humps). You're very likely going to be doing a lot of pushups and sit ups, possibly a lot of pull ups or at least climbing, and you'll be spending a lot of time on your feet, running, hiking/humping, carrying things, jumping jacks, etc.

Most guys I've worked with in the American branches of Armed Forces have said, after the fact, that chest-to-deck burpees would be a fantastic prep workout for them. Running/hiking hills are also usually highly recommended. A recent Marine said he wished he would have trained pull ups before he went, because he ended up doing TONS of them to get up to par through basic, but I'm prone to think, by reputation, that the USMC is a little more stringent about pull ups than other branches.

Last edited by Dakota Base; 02-18-2014 at 11:41 PM..
Old 02-19-2014, 03:28 AM   #5
Ryan Graham

Profile:

Thanks Dakota I was struggling to work out what exactly my goals are but your post helped.

I guess it is GPP I'm looking to improve as like you said basic will be based on a lot of bodyweight movement circuits, increasingly heavy load carries as well as increasing distances of runs and tabs (rucking) up to the 8-10 mile mark.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:59 AM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Anything you can do to get stronger in your hips, glutes, lower back, and shoulders is going to help you when it comes time to ruck with a heavy pack or do buddy drag/carry drills. What are your squat, deadlift, power clean, and weighted pullup numbers like?
Old 02-19-2014, 08:09 AM   #7
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Graham View Post
That's my problem, I don't really know what my goals are now.
"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.
"I don’t much care where--" said Alice.
"Then it doesn’t matter which way you go," said the Cat.
"--so long as I get SOMEWHERE," Alice added as an explanation.
"Oh, you’re sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."
You get the point. You need to figure out the specifics of your goals. Go beyond generalities such as "I just want to be faster and stronger," and really nail what it is that you want to accomplish. Otherwise, all that you're going to do is get somewhere.

- Mark
Old 02-20-2014, 05:25 AM   #8
Ryan Graham

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Anything you can do to get stronger in your hips, glutes, lower back, and shoulders is going to help you when it comes time to ruck with a heavy pack or do buddy drag/carry drills. What are your squat, deadlift, power clean, and weighted pullup numbers like?
BS- 1.5xBW
DL- 2xBW
PC- 1xBW

Dunno about weighted pull ups never tested them.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:46 AM   #9
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Start tabbing.
Start tabbing with a Bergan
Start doing push ups till you can knock out a 100 in a go.
Keep up the running.
Pull ups... If you intend ongoing to take the basic para course then work on it.

Tabbing is going to be a staple in infantry school
Tabbing will change to forced march with gear,
Push ups are the army's way of behavior modification for all forms of mistakes...
God be with you if you have the platoon idiot ( every platoon will have one) in your section. Hence the push up practice.
Well, running..... You know, It's on every selection standard , basic para , basic recce, basic bombardier ..... The only difference is that time limit will change and it's always downwards.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:33 PM   #10
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Graham View Post
BS- 1.5xBW
DL- 2xBW
PC- 1xBW

Dunno about weighted pull ups never tested them.
Ok, so it sounds like you're reasonably strong, but you could still add to those numbers while maintaining (or improving) your running and bodyweight work.

Get used to wearing boots too...ideally you can train now in something similar to what you'll wear in basic, which will help you toughen up your feet and avoid blisters later on.