CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-09-2012, 09:01 PM   #11
Anthony Giurato

Profile:
Re: Interval method of rowing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bruce View Post
For example, my average watts over 2k were around 1100 whereas normally it is around 1000.
I don't think this is correct. 1,000 watts on a Concept 2 erg is just over a 1:10 split. That would put you under a 4:45 2k. Compare this to the world record, which is a 5:36.6 2k (587 watts).
Old 09-09-2012, 09:17 PM   #12
Larry Bruce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Giurato View Post
I don't think this is correct. 1,000 watts on a Concept 2 erg is just over a 1:10 split. That would put you under a 4:45 2k. Compare this to the world record, which is a 5:36.6 2k (587 watts).
You're right. It was kilocalories per hour. Meant to mention that but forgot...
thanks!
Old 09-10-2012, 05:35 AM   #13
Michael E Tancini

Profile:

test it out using diff methods. see what works for you.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #14
Larry Bruce

Profile:

Quote:
Also wrong When you drive in spurts, you're causing the engine RPM to spike. Higher RPM == higher fuel consumption. The most efficient driving is keeping the RPM low. Accelerate slowly, maintain steady speed, then ease off and coast to a stop (don't waste energy by braking). If spurts of power were more efficient, then that's what your cruise control would be doing....
The burn and coast or pulse and glide method of driving is written up under wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_ec...Burn_and_coast

It can be as efficent or more than steady rate driving.
Efficent doesn't mean faster of course.

MPG records were achieved using it:
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1793
http://www.treehugger.com/cars/team-...-in-prius.html

Not saying that is identical to rowing but it demonstrates the efficency potential.

You stand corrected

Last edited by Larry Bruce; 09-10-2012 at 10:01 AM..
Old 09-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #15
Jason Peacock

Profile:

Quote:
Efficent doesn't mean faster of course.
I agree, technically more efficient, but definitely not faster. But is your goal on the rower to be more efficient, or to be faster? And if you applied that pulse& glide strategy while trying to maintain your "normal" speed, would it work? To see the efficiency benefits you end up being slower

Interval training definitely has its place, and it's a great method for becoming faster and more efficient, but it's not going to win you any races.

Good rowing is all about being efficient - no wasted effort. You learn to perfect your stroke, and your cadence/power, to achieve the goal you want. Looking at rowers everywhere, at all levels, this is done via steady-state performance. Intervals are a training tool.

Do you want to get faster at your 2k? Doing 500m and 1k repeats will definitely help. But rowing the actual 2k race with an interval strategy only helps those rowers that can't row a 2k distance w/o stopping, then you have to have those built in recovery periods (just like the run-walk-run strategy for long-distance runners).
Old 09-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #16
Larry Bruce

Profile:

I don't disagree Jase..

Maybe it depends on how serious one is about ERG. I'm not going willing to dedicate a lot of time on it, so intervals are an effective use of my time.

For an average user, the efficency of the method does likely allow more net power to be transfered to the wheel than steady state, over the same duration. Very trained individuals can probably exceed this pulling steady state as you say.

But to answer your question, I am not interested in producing the fastest time. Rather, I am interested in having the most thrilling ride per unit of exhaustion. And this approach works for me, for now.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #17
Jason Peacock

Profile:

I guess we have a different idea of what an "average user" is It shouldn't take a "very trained individual" to exceed the benefit of short intervals, nor would it take much training to get there.

What I'm getting at is you (or anyone) would get more benefit from the rower by attacking the hardest feature - consistent power output over time - than finding workarounds. Yeah, you'll perform poorly at first, but you'll make gains quickly and soon be doing well. But if every time you get on the rower you are avoiding the challenge, you'll not improve as quickly.

But we can also agree to disagree
Old 09-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #18
Larry Bruce

Profile:

Cool. Thanks for your encouragement.