CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-10-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
Dante Pastore

Profile:
Back and Butt Pain

I recently injured my back doing front squats a few weeks ago. I rested for a few days and the pain has gone down except for the lower left side of my lower back and left glute muscle. It makes it really hard to lift the weight I was doing before my injury. I was squatting 300+ and power cleaning 200+ and now I cant get over 200 on my squats and 135 power cleans without my back getting a flare up. I can feel a knot in the area where the muscle is flaring but i cant seem to message it out. It just stays flared up and its really starting to get annoying because it is keeping me away from the heavier weight I was doing. I have no idea whats wrong. Can some experts out there offer me any advice as to what is wrong and how to fix it. Thanks!!
Old 06-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Back and Butt Pain

Sure, it's been a few weeks and you can't do much more than 50% of what you were doing before without pain.....Find someone to help you.

We're just playing a guessing game over the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Pastore View Post
I recently injured my back doing front squats a few weeks ago. I rested for a few days and the pain has gone down except for the lower left side of my lower back and left glute muscle. It makes it really hard to lift the weight I was doing before my injury. I was squatting 300+ and power cleaning 200+ and now I cant get over 200 on my squats and 135 power cleans without my back getting a flare up. I can feel a knot in the area where the muscle is flaring but i cant seem to message it out. It just stays flared up and its really starting to get annoying because it is keeping me away from the heavier weight I was doing. I have no idea whats wrong. Can some experts out there offer me any advice as to what is wrong and how to fix it. Thanks!!
Old 06-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #3
Deniz Firat

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Pastore View Post
Yes, advice: Stop lifting and start rehabbing.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
Michael A. Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deniz Firat View Post
Yes, advice: Stop lifting and start rehabbing.
I concur!! I hurt my back a few months ago, and did not do much lifting after that. I just began getting back into it. The back is essential to all bodily functions, so I'd take it easy for a while....Probably not what you wanted to hear but true.

Good luck in your recovery!

Michael
Old 06-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

YOu can try mobility stuff from here to see if it improves:

wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/0...ur-lower-back/

But if it's sticking around more than a couple weeks, use the article to see the appropriate professional!
Old 06-22-2012, 07:23 AM   #6
Chad Newbolt

Profile:

Yeah, had similar symptoms few year back right before had to have back surgery for herniation at L5/S1. Started as mild pain and I tried to fix it by squatting heavy. Bad idea. Could not walk shortly thereafter. Not saying you have that or to scare but I realized that when your body warns you that something is not right stop doing whatever it is that hurts until you know what's up. Maybe could have prevented surgery and long recovery for me.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #7
Karl Gray

Profile:

Thats kinda the same as I am going through - mine is mainly in the glute though. Have you tried foam rolling? Do you have trigger points?
Old 06-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

On second thought, after re-reading the OP I think it may be a slipped or rotated SI joint issue.

I mentioned this on Karl's post:

wfs
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=76213

Go get yourself to a PT or chiro