CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-17-2010, 07:24 PM   #1
Andrew Chong

Profile:
Lower back pain after back squats

Did a 3 rep max back squat 6 days ago and felt a sharp pain in my lower back. Specifically, it's on the right side. I can bend forward without any pain, but when i bend backwards, especially when i lean back and towards the right, it hurts.

Coach told me to lay off weights, stretch and rest. I've been doing just that; limiting exercise to things like push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups and some running.

I had a back injury before and the physiotherapist told me it was just a muscle sprain (it was about a year back). It went away in 2 weeks but it was in the same area as my current injury. However, with that injury, it hurt to bend both forwards and backwards.

If this helps, my right hamstring also feels tighter than my left. I can't figure out what kind of injury that's causing the back pain is even after reading the eatmoveimprove website. Haven't visited the doctor because i still have exams for another week.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:36 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Lower back pain after back squats

If it's localized to one side, it's USUALLY a strain which is why I wrote that article as such.

The first one if it hurt to bend both forward and back may have been a facet subluxation. Usually strains won't hurt when you loosen the muscles associated (such as going into extension). A facet will generally be aggravated in positions where it's "locked" in place which it may in both extension and flexion. But that's neither here or there cause it's not your problem now.

Right hamstring can DEFINITELY cause an imbalance where it makes it easier to round the back on the right side leading to a strain.

Ummm, I assume you've read our strain article before. Rehab of that using the specific protocol is a good idea. Loosening up that tight hammy is also a good idea.

If you need anymore specifics try to post some more details and we'll check it out. As long as mobility work and specific strengthening keep improving it you should be fine though...
Old 09-18-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
Andrew Chong

Profile:

Okay,thanks. I'll keep you updated. One thing though. My right hamstring only felt tighter after the injury.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:07 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Chong View Post
Okay,thanks. I'll keep you updated. One thing though. My right hamstring only felt tighter after the injury.
Yeah, when the body gets injured it compensates more.

It thinks your lumbopelvic complex is in trouble... muscles in the area tight down to prevent movement to prevent further injury.

It is possible that it was tight before or during or after the injury or all of them... you just don't know. It may be one piece of the puzzle or a symptom. Hard to tell at this point... but it does need correcting.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:07 PM   #5
Rebecca Chambliss

Profile:

Recently injured my right lower back/glute area and saw an ortho. He said leaning back and pain down leg was generally sciatica. Fortunately that wasn't the case with me (pain leaning forward not back) turned out my SI joint had been wacked out of place doing overhead squats. Ended up seeing a Chiro who put it back and the pain instantly was gone.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:35 AM   #6
Andrew Chong

Profile:

Thanks! The pain is just to the right of my spine.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:21 AM   #7
Ian Nigh

Profile:

Sciatica is a symptom, not condition. It be associated with a wide range of issues from herniated discs to nerve entrapment by scar tissue to subluxations or sprains. If the pain does not radiate down the leg, dont worry about it.

I used to have back pain issues when squatting. They were resolved by an aggressive mobility and stretching regimen a la Kelly Starrett: http://mobilitywod.blogspot.com/ (WFS)
Old 09-19-2010, 11:17 AM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

Sciatica can be a condition... or rather aggravation of the nerve itself can be a condition.

But most of the time it's a symptom of something else though yeah.