CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-05-2007, 09:50 AM   #11
James Lewis

Profile:
John:

1. I use a web-based coaching system called trainingpeaks.com. Check it out. It is software based on the book "The Triathlete's Training Bible" written by Joel Friel, triathlon guru and coach to many Olympians. Joel, BTW, co-authored the book "The Paleo Diet for Athletes".

2. My schedule looks something like this:
Mon AM strength (CF) PM Spin class or bike ride
Tues AM rest PM run (track workout/intervals HARD)
Weds AM strength (CF) PM Swim
Thurs AM rest PM run (slow distance run)
Fri AM strength (CF) PM Swim
Sat BRICK. I try to use the 100/10 rule (run distance = 10% of the bike distance). Usually I try to make this a pretty intense ride/run.
Sun Long bike ride. Slower, not as intense. I live in FL so I have no hills, sadly. We have to substitute drawbridges and wind.

I used CF this winter to build up a base. Now I lay off the leg workouts and do more of the upper body type stuff. I keep a list of CF WODs and kind of just pick one that I need for that particular day. I always do the CFWU as well as the WOD that is listed.

Jason makes a good point: for triathlon training, NOTHING beats doing the events that you will do in a race. You have to spend time in the saddle, and generally, lots of it. You have to run (the ocassional 400m intervals or CF 5k isn't going to cut it most likely) and you need to swim. Concentrate on your weak area and weight your workouts in that area.

If you are doing short races (anything up to Olympic dist) you don't need a lot in terms of training VOLUME. You can do more CF and less tri-specific training. Olympic distance, 70.3 and IM distance you will do very little CF and a lot more tri training. Your winter CF training will help as it gives a good base and good for your core.

send me a PM if you have more questions. I'm not the guru that Eugene Allen is, but I am feeling my way towards a good training regimen that works. I am in trainng for a 70.3 race this year, and I am doing several Olympics and sprints as tuneups (and just for fun).