CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-02-2007, 05:17 PM   #1
Ryan Sears

Profile:
I’ve been doing crossfit for about 2 weeks now. (coming off a long break) I was wondering if other crossfiters tweak their workouts to fit the sport they participate in. I have read many post about long distance runners but haven’t seen many involving other sports. I am currently playing soccer for my dorm team and was considering doing more workouts for leg strength and endurance to improve for soccer. I was wondering if anyone else does the same or has some advice. Thanks guys.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:19 PM   #2
Rene Renteria

Profile:
What's your level of play? How trained are you already? Given that it's a dorm team and that you're calling yourself "Notsostrong", give the CF mainpage WOD a chance for a while. How long did you do CF before your break? Did you think that it wasn't improving some of your weaknesses?

The overall strength and stability I gained from CF WODs was all bonus given that my conditioning became way better than from whatever (for the most part) I had done before (speaking as a bush league former high school soccer player who essentially only played IMs in college). Even as a now-oldguy (!), I'm faster, quicker, harder to push off the ball, and have better hamstrings (that don't always pop) when I'm CrossFitting regularly now than when I was doing that crap I called training back in grad school or whenever.

Focusing on adding more leg strength and endurance at the expense of overall strength would have detracted from much of that because the body really is "one piece", as Dan John likes to say.

When you're in "off-season" (summer?), maybe think about doing more max effort work or "Starting Strength" to build a strength base before going back to CF WODs/metcon.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:02 AM   #3
Roger Harrell

Profile:
CF is really suited well for soccer. Repeated bursts of power. I'd just layer skill training on top of the CF foundation and you should see pretty spectacular results.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:37 AM   #4
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Ryan,
Yes. Many Crossfitters tweak their training to fit their sport. My son wrestles. We tweak his workouts to include sport specific movements. I have been working with a few soccer players for about 3 years. One of the boys I trained made the varsity soccer team as a Freshman and was voted team captain as a Sophmore. He is currently in England for 6 months to train and play on youth squads there.
We publish both soccer and wrestling specific workouts in our monthly Crossfit Kids Magazine. The soccer workouts are sent to us by our friends at Crossfit Manchester.

All of that having been said, the best place to start is the WOD on the mainpage. It will give you a base to work from. We don't do any specific work with our kids until they have a CrossFit foundation.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:03 PM   #5
Bryan Blake

Profile:
Ryan,
I've been doing CF for about a year now, incorporating it into playing rugby all year. I know the two sports emphasize different athletic components, but since I'm one of the small guys on the team I do a lot of soccer-style pivoting, sprinting and kicking. CF has helped me immensely in all aspects of rugby; as stated earlier, it's the perfect workout for those types of sports. I do the WOD five days a week/two off, with a game on the weekend and feel great, other than the bruises come Monday.

Keep at the WOD and maintain a good balance between the two and you'll see an increase in everything you need to play soccer well.