CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-30-2007, 05:52 PM   #1
John Frazer

Profile:
I get stomach issues with these two exercises, not from intensity but from churning up my stomach by going from vertical to horizontal and back again.

I did man-makers yesterday at lunch (about 6 hours after breakfast) and had major heartburn, maybe acid-reflux-like, for about the next 7-8 hours.

I'm wondering if anyone else experiences this and what the solution might be. So far all I've found is to never do high reps of these within 8 hours of eating anything more than a snack, but am open to suggestions.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:40 AM   #2
Andrew James

Profile:
Not to be a smart-, but I think the solutions is probably not to do them anymore.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:22 AM   #3
Jason Steele

Profile:
What was your fluid intake like in the period leading up to the man-makers? I wouldn't say to stop doing them, but to try them again and see if the condition is replicated.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:45 PM   #4
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
That seems strange, going to horizontal then vertical (not upside down), really shouldn't cause problems I don't think, and I've got some bad acid reflux problems if I'm not careful...

For me though, what cleared things up with the acid reflux was not eating anything after 9:00 (that's if I'm going to bed at midnight). And even then, I tried to avoid eating anything after 7 or 8 if I could help it. I did this for a while and now I can go back to once in a while eating a late meal. If I did that before, I would have gotten up in the middle of the night feeling sick.

It seems that the stretch of time where I must've had that stomach closing muscle and tissue, just let it relax and heal itself, and it seems like it's back to normal now, as long as I don't overdo the whole eating late thing.

Oh, and caffeine, caffeine killed me, I don't touch the stuff anymore, except if it's in foods like chocolate, and even then in moderation. Never drink coffee, pop (that's soda for you weird people), energy drinks with caffeine, etc... although I can drink decaf tea, and energy drinks that are caffeine free.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:44 PM   #5
Becca Borawski

Profile:
I'll second the part about caffiene making a difference -- I used to get heartburn from bending over to tie my shoes, but after I cut way back on caffiene and cut out the energy drinks it's tons better. Still get it from back extensions and arch rocks, sometimes burpees, too, but it made a huge difference.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:05 PM   #6
Samantha Preuninger

Profile:
I have acid reflux also...

Volume is more important for me than what I eat, although giving up junk food and caffeine also helped. If I eat too much, I will get heartburn no matter what I ate. If I eat within 2 hours of exercising, or within 3 hours of lying down, I will also get heartburn.

Try cleaning up the diet and not eating too soon before your workouts. And if that doesn't quite do it, try taking a couple of Tums right before your workout - that works for me if I can't get my timing right.