CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-06-2008, 08:09 AM   #1
Mark McDowell

Profile:
Power

Crossfit is mainly about power right? Ill let someone answer that before I move onto my next point/idea.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:20 AM   #2
Kevin Thomas

Profile:
Re: Power

No. CrossFit is about GPP. If you have to point to one individual thing, Work Capacity is the thing that gets pointed to most frequently as CrossFit's main focus within the general goal of GPP. If you go to the CrossFit mainpage and read the information under the tab Start Here, you will get a good idea what the goals of CrossFit are and how CrossFit recommends reaching those goals. http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/start-how.html w/f/s

Welcome to the boards.

-Kevin
Old 10-06-2008, 08:36 AM   #3
Mark McDowell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
No. CrossFit is about GPP. If you have to point to one individual thing, Work Capacity is the thing that gets pointed to most frequently as CrossFit's main focus within the general goal of GPP. If you go to the CrossFit mainpage and read the information under the tab Start Here, you will get a good idea what the goals of CrossFit are and how CrossFit recommends reaching those goals. http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/start-how.html w/f/s

Welcome to the boards.

-Kevin
Thank you

I've been cruising the site for sometime, I just like looking at the workouts while im more into strength training atm. Currently doing The Texas Method.

Ive always seen an emphasis on power, for example the reason for the kipping pullups, the olympic lifting etc.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:06 AM   #4
Gavin Harrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McDowell View Post
Thank you

I've been cruising the site for sometime, I just like looking at the workouts while im more into strength training atm. Currently doing The Texas Method.

Ive always seen an emphasis on power, for example the reason for the kipping pullups, the olympic lifting etc.
I believe the emphasis on power output is two-fold.

First, how do you meaningfully measure GPP improvement? You have to be able to measure SOMETHING. Power is a good measurement, because you can put a number to how much work your doing in a given period of time, and this can be compared between any workouts.. though it's easier to measure times of the same workouts ever so often... which is another way to compare power output.

Second, by pushing intensity and power output, you're pushing your facilities in many different areas at the same time.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:59 PM   #5
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Crossfit is more about power sustained power. Weight lifting is about instantanious power. I am not about using my spell shecker
Old 10-07-2008, 05:50 AM   #6
Mark McDowell

Profile:

So basically power, but power in the endurance spectrum.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:19 AM   #7
David Sumner

Profile:

Raising the power curve in the three metabolic pathways (Phosphagen, Glycolytic, Oxidative) required for 5 secs, 30-90 secs, and 90+ secs of work respectively. Crossfit is about increasing work capacities (i.e. power output) over broad modal and time domains. Modal means different functional movements and time domains means short, medium, and long periods of work. A distance runner has high work capacity in the oxidative pathway. An olympic lifter has high work capacity in the Phosphagen pathway. But, if you switch the olympic lifter to distance running and the distance runner to olympic lifting, the distance runner will struggle lifting half his bodyweight and the lifter will fall down after 5 minutes. Crossfit aims to put a person into the top 15 to 20 percent of almost every physical activity, resulting in a well rounded level of fitness.

Last edited by David Sumner; 10-07-2008 at 06:21 AM..
Old 10-07-2008, 07:05 AM   #8
Eddie Watts

Profile:

good reply david.
do a few workouts and you'll know what crossfit does, until you do it you really will not understand. imo