CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-01-2007, 04:08 PM   #1
Joe Butler

Profile:
Power cage or not?

Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie and am just starting to build a home gym-so far just a 300 lb oly weight set. Here's my dilemma. I live in an apartment (ground floor fortunately) and my gym will be the spare bedroom, which is 10 by 12 feet. I'm thinking that a power cage will give me the versatility and safety I need as I train alone and my 109 lb wife can't spot for me. I figure I can do pullups and dips on one and even hang rings from them, and maybe rig up a way to do GHD situps and back extensions on it. I'm looking for some input on this, so any suggestions or ideas would be great.

Thanks
Joe B
Old 12-01-2007, 04:20 PM   #2
John Seiler

Profile:
Re: Power cage or not?

To me, the ability to do pullups and hang rings put the power rack in front. In a garage you might be better with squats stands and a spotting system (e.g. sawhorses) because you can hang things from the ceiling AND you save floor space. Usually hard to find a landlord that's cool with hanging rings in a apartment.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:35 PM   #3
David Sailor

Profile:

Joe,

My basement gym is about the same size and the power rack is the only piece of equipment in there. I have probably done 10,000 pullups on that thing not to mention using it for squatting and hanging rings from. I lift by myself and it's indespensible.

I have another area adjacent to this room that holds a treadmill, ghd, plyo boxes and misc stuff. If it wasn't for that space, I'd have built a platform on the rack for the ghd you mentioned.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:00 PM   #4
Thomas Covington

Profile:

The power rack is a great piece of equipment to begin with in regards to safety & versatility in the ways John mentioned. Furthermore, they seem to be much easier to find than squat stands at a low cost in places such as craigslist. The worst drawback, in my opinion, is if you are relatively tall then overhead lifts cannot be performed inside of the cage. Also, performing a muscleup on rings from the cage can be next to impossible without 'bonking' your head but rings can always be moved to a better location for these activities. The GHD activity is possible with an apparatus to secure your feet; I have plans to make a PVC foot-securing construct to fit over the safety bar but have not gotten around to building it yet so I cannot speak as to how well it would work.

Alternatively, you could introduce the wife to CF and then she could spot you on the squat stands

Last edited by Thomas Covington; 12-01-2007 at 06:05 PM..
Old 12-01-2007, 07:13 PM   #5
Peter Keller

Profile:

I'll put in another vote for a cage. I bought mine of craigslist for my garage gym and it's indispensable. It did rock a bit for pulls, but once I hung some plates off of it, it worked just fine.

Note that I don't kip on it, though.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:58 PM   #6
Richard Meller

Profile:

I have a power cage, and although I now have more space and hang my rings from the ceiling, the cage was good for pull-ups and has two short bars on the side to do dips with (it's a Keyes cage). I still appreciate the cage for the ability to do front and back squats without worry.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:25 PM   #7
Alex Rosch

Profile:

I have a York FTS power-cage (rack)...
it's short and got a height-extension (they don't make them anymore, I think). It would fit in a house without a problem (in an unheated garage). I do GHD SUs and back-extensions without issue (maybe slow because I don't have anything holding my feet to the rack). I hang my rings and just sub bar-dips for the rings (no dip bars built in). I stacked about 400#s of plates on the legs and can kip without it moving. Couple stall mats, homemade med ball, paralettes, and a plyo-box (sturdy garbage can) finish the area. Currently keep the KB and C2 in the house.
Talk to Allison Foreman if you're interested in York stuff...30% discount for CF'ers!

Old 12-02-2007, 04:52 PM   #8
Joe Butler

Profile:

Thanks for the input guys. I thought the power cage would be the best route to go and it sounds like I was right. Hopefully I'll be able to get one in a couple of months.

Joe
Old 12-02-2007, 07:36 PM   #9
Douglas A. Glisson

Profile:

So if a guy was to build his own cage out of 2"x2" square tubing, I need to keep it smaller to fit inside but would like to be able to have it a little a bit taller after I get my gym/garage built. Can anyone think of any reason not to make the top of the cage adjustable for height kinda like the T.A.P.S. pull up bar system?

Glisson
Old 12-02-2007, 07:59 PM   #10
Joe Butler

Profile:

Doug,

That actually sounds like a really good idea. I don't know if it would cause any structural weaknesses or not, but it sounds good.

Joe