CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-26-2005, 08:52 PM   #1
Jon Gary

Profile:
Jeff thought I should share some of the remarks I’ve gotten doing Crossfit at my local gym while our new company gym is being set up. The gym usually has between 6-12 people in it when I work out, mostly regulars but some new faces everyday.

Day 1 – Fran
Surprisingly no comments

Day 2 – Deadlift
“I wear a belt when I DL over 200#” - why are you talking to me?

Day 3 – Cindy
“Are you training for a triathalon?” – no just a guy doing the specified WOD from the web

Day 4- the 50 rep chipper
Dumbbell swings and box jumps actually went mostly unnoticed!
As I’m leaving a guy (who has seen me do the whole chipper) asks “you ever do jump-rope, its good cardio” – and you think THAT wasn’t cardio?
A guy actually did a “work-out” while talking on the phone!

Day 5 – Linda
Actually wore the Crossfit t-shirt today… didn’t help.
“you doing a strength work out today?” – wow, don’t know what to say to that!
“that guy over there said you were circuit training” – again, at a loss for words

Sadly, there will probably be more to report over the next few weeks - Jeff get our gym up and running soon!
Old 07-26-2005, 11:32 PM   #2
Erik Davis

Profile:
Gosh, they look at me funny when they see me doing air squats. I can only imagine what would happen if I was doing dumbell swings. They'd check me for rabies.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:30 AM   #3
David Knutzen

Profile:
I've found that swings (mostly done with a kettlebell by me) tend to get no commentry as well. My theory is that it simply scares the hell out of people, so they pretend I'm invisible while maintaining a safe distance, hoping I don't notice them.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:15 AM   #4
John Walsh

Profile:
If they ever ask you "what does that build", which they evetually will, simply tell them "arms".
Old 07-27-2005, 10:40 AM   #5
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Question: "you doing a strength work out today?"
Answer: IT'S MOTHERF$#@!%G ARMS DAY!!!! Of course it's a strength work out!

That oughta keep 'em away (and staring)!
Old 07-27-2005, 10:47 AM   #6
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Jon,
I liked the guy who followed you around on the Deadlift day and said "I think I could lift that". Your mental converation "Why are you talking to me"? Great line. BTW the daily update has become my favorite part of the work day. Think I'll put off getting the gym done.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:16 AM   #7
Graham Tidey

Profile:
Think of the poor female students who use university gyms like mine! I remember when a girl was using this machine you sit in and rotate side to side when a guy with a blonde mullet and quiff, yellow knee length pyjamas and a vest which, seriously, stopped above his bellybutton came up to her and said "You're doing that wrong, move forward in the seat." She stopped dead and said, "**** off.", then restarted! Girls rule.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:38 AM   #8
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
Usually do my workouts middle of the day, first time i did "Nacey" i had a really busy day and had to do it when the gym was full,between teaching classes. For the run part i would simply put the weights down and disapear out the door to run 400m up and back the street, ,only to reapper a few minuts latter and start the next round of lifts.
Comment= "we thought you keep ducking out to check your car".

Old 07-28-2005, 06:39 AM   #9
Brendan Melville

Profile:
When I was doing my c&j's yesterday, "that guy" from my university gym--you know the ones, who come with friends and get everyone to watch them by dead lifting a million pounds with absolutely gross form--stopped doing bicep curls and loaded his bar with 10 more pounds than I had on mine. He then proceeded to knock off sets of power cleans with the UGLIEST form I've ever seen. It was amazing...

I then heard him talking to his friend afterwords. "Dude, I don't go all the way down in my squat cause I don't want to f'ing shatter my knees", and "man I feel like I'm going to pass out, I love that feeling".
Old 07-28-2005, 09:16 AM   #10
Kathryn Steen

Profile:
fiona--i did a similar thing with "Kelly" the other day. yeah. got some strange looks on that one. probably 'cause i was letting the air conditioning out....:lol: