CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 12-01-2005, 05:12 PM   #1
Charlie Reid

Profile:
"We must guard against overreliance on technology. Technology can enhance the ways and means of war by improving man's ability to wage it, but technology cannot and should not attempt to eliminate man from the process of waging war. Better equipment is not the cure for all ills; doctrinal and tactical solutions to combat deficiencies must also be sought. Any advantages gained by technological advancement are only temporary, for man will always find a countermeasure, tactical or itself technological, which will lessen the impact of the technology. Additionally, we must not become so dependent on equipment that we can no longer function effectively when the equipment becomes inoperable."

-Warfighting (U.S. Marine Corps Staff)

Although fitness gadgets can assist in one's pursuit, it is the ability of the individual to perform well in a myriad of situations (like combat) without use of any machine that will yield the greatest success in a chaotic and unpredictable world. This reminds me of Coach Sommer's athlete who deadlifted 400 pounds after only training with bodyweight tension exercises. I hear a few of my friends talk about how they can't get fit because they don't have access to fancy machinery. What works is within us, and is not necessarily dependent on the abundance of our surroundings. Crossfit is a method and is not defined by certain machinery.

Find a rock and start liftin'...for time
Old 12-01-2005, 07:19 PM   #2
Ian Holmes

Profile:
But what if my hands get dirty?

I totally agree Charlie. It never ceases to amaze me that people are willing to use lack of gym access as an excuse for getting out of shape. There is nowhere one can not to handstands/pushups/L-sits/squats... and very rare that some form of a jerry rigged pullup.

Plus there are usually some rocks lying around if one doesn't mind getting dirty.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:06 PM   #3
Tim Weaver

Profile:
That is a very very good book, by the way. Lots to learn even if you DON"T plan to fight wars.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:01 AM   #4
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Also read up on John Boyd. (On whose ideas the above manual rests on.)

The fact that at his funeral the only significant military presence was from Marines (the man was a USAF Colonel) is quite telling of USMC "warrior" mentality VS other more "Desk Jockey" mentalities...

(Message edited by ApolloFS on December 01, 2005)
Old 12-02-2005, 05:07 AM   #5
Dan Freda

Profile:
Used to think that equip was necessary, not now. Funny how life changes and you prioritize differently. Excellent thread.

(Message edited by dwf131 on December 02, 2005)
Old 12-02-2005, 08:22 AM   #6
Barry Cooper

Profile:
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy R.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:37 AM   #7
James R. Climer

Profile:
Use it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or do without.
----Grandma
Old 12-03-2005, 08:43 AM   #8
Andrew Brown

Profile:
Alex,
Good on ya for bringing up Boyd. Big fan here- even went up to Quantico to see the Marines' Boyd collection. Got to thumb through the man's annotated copy of On War. Then I went up to the Pentagon and spent half a day with the guy who helped him come up with E-M theory. One of the coolest experiences of my life.

It's sad that Maxwell (Air University) has practically nothing on him...but his theories are given some coverage in AF education, both in Aero Engr and PME.

Check out the Gym Jones "Knowledge" on "Important." If I were going to teach OODA, that would be part of my required reading list.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:20 PM   #9
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Andrew-

Boyd's copy of On War? I'd give a pretty good amount for a published version! (With any explicit material included of course!)

I think part of the reason that the AF never really appreciated Boyd is the fact that they never quite understood that he had transcended the role of an Air Force Colonel in hiw search for the roots of conflict and how to manipulate it for one's own interest. They always thought of him as a "single-trick pony" partly due to the way he fought (and won) after the merge, and of course were always hugely annoyed by his loud, provocative style.

I think he may have been a bit bi-polar too, something which would definitely not help smooth his public relations.:happy:

Boyd's work is a treasure trove for anyone interested in strategy, conflict, organizations and the way a brilliant mind arrives at profound conclusions.

Gym Jones rocks hard BTW.http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/3499/16698.gif
Old 12-03-2005, 05:14 PM   #10
David Wood

Profile:

Alex: you continue to amaze me. Please understand that I'm not trying to be the least bit offensive when I ask this (and you're more than entitled to ignore me, or publicly tell me to mind my own business), but: what in your background gave you exposure to John Boyd?