CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-09-2006, 12:01 PM   #1
Will Nuse

Profile:
Anyone had these before? What do you do to get rid of them, and what do you do to prevent them from occurring?

Thanks.
Old 08-13-2006, 03:01 PM   #2
Bryan Edge

Profile:
I suffer headaches of all kinds. Generally, I've figured out various causes (for me, anyway):

1) Lack of food. If I go too long without eating, I can get nasty migraines. usually eating a good meal gets rid of these pretty quickly. On odd occasionas, though I've gotten these headaches even when I *thought* I'd eaten well for the day... and then I'd eat a single piece of pizza and my headache disappeared. Anyway, food/blood sugar seemed to be the trigger.

2) Lack of sleep. I never get enough sleep, but over the course of a few days, if my cycles get screwed up sufficiently, I get migraines. Sleep is the only cure.

3) Sinuses. I seem prone to sinus headaches/infections. Tylenol+sudafed (sames as Tylenol Sinus) does the trick well.

4) Caffeine (often because it's in Excedrin).

Not sure if this helps, but I hope so.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:57 AM   #3
Bryan Veis

Profile:
Go see your doctor, or even better, a neurologist, to talk about treatment options for migraine. There are a lot of effective drugs, both for treatment of headaches and for prevention. Caffeine "works" because it is a vasoconstrictor, which counteracts the immediate cause of migraine pain, vasodilation. But there are more efficient and effective ways to treat vasodilation than consuming large amounts of coffee.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:13 PM   #4
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Will:

Search for your trigger. Typical triggers include particular foods, odors, too little sleep, too much caffeine (paradoxical effect), too much nicotine, and incremental stress (over and above your every day stress). Interestingly, some people have their typical migraine just AFTER a stressful episode. If you are able to identify your trigger (keep a log) then you have the opportunity to avoid it. For example, chocolate and aged cheeses are among my triggers, so no Heath Bar Crunch for me!

Bryan's suggestion to see your doc is worthwhile. Medicine like Imetrex used when you get the aura can often stop or blunt the headache.

Migraines stink. Good luck!

Old 08-19-2006, 02:37 AM   #5
Kevin King

Profile:
If these headaches are new to you -- e.g. you have never had anything like them either in their quality or severity -- seek ye the opinion of a qualified physician. A neurologist is a wonderful choice. Weird headaches, especially ones that are severe enough to stop you from doing your daily activities (you didn't mention how bad these are) need to be evaluated. There are many causes of headaches, some life-threatening, some benign. Most causes are benign (e.g. migraines) but others, such as aneurysmal bleeds, are much more serious.

Bottom line, down bottom: see a physician for evaluation of your headaches.

Good luck!

-- Kevin
Old 08-19-2006, 10:37 AM   #6
Kevin McKay

Profile:
I think I read the most common cuase of headachs is dehydration
Old 08-23-2006, 09:03 AM   #7
Will Nuse

Profile:
Thanks guys for all the input. I'm taking all advice at this point, and I think I've figured out what most of my triggers are (sudden onset of stress plus glaring light seems to do the trick, with dehydration helping things along). If I can catch them quick enough with caffeine, they're not a problem; if I let them go, they're not much fun--not quite debilitating but I'm not doing much.