CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-18-2011, 11:43 AM   #21
Geoff Archibald

Profile:
Re: Deadlifts: drop or put down?

The injuries were in a metcon. Our coach has been wary of programming deadlifts in a metcon since, although we did do Rankel last week. I think he now tries to pay special attention to form and keep the volume low. With Rankel the number of reps isn't outrageous for most people. In my last 3 rounds I was doing 2 sets of 3, lowering 2 and dropping the 3rd. I also don't bounce the bar. I lower, reset and pull. No pain or unusual soreness the next day.

As far as soreness goes, for me volume hurts more than max efforts. I am way more sore after 200 air squats than working up to a 3 or 5 rep max BS. I don't remember the specific metcon where people were hurt but I think it was over 100 reps of deadlifts at a moderate weight (185 for guys maybe). Might have been 10 rounds of 10 DL and a 200m run. Might have even been a dotcom WOD. It was quite a while ago.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:43 AM   #22
Shannon Mullens

Profile:

Honestly, the more I do DLs, the more I am unwilling to do anything approaching deadlifts "for time" unless the weight I'm doing is something with which I'd warm up, and even then I'm cautious about form.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:49 PM   #23
Jim Crowell

Profile:

I would say that for a max effort dead lift I would drop the bar. However, it is important to learn to properly set the bar down as well for doing sets especially if you are looking to get good wod times.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:43 PM   #24
Todd Rehm

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Archibald View Post
The injuries were in a metcon. Our coach has been wary of programming deadlifts in a metcon since, although we did do Rankel last week. I think he now tries to pay special attention to form and keep the volume low.

I don't remember the specific metcon where people were hurt but I think it was over 100 reps of deadlifts at a moderate weight (185 for guys maybe). Might have been 10 rounds of 10 DL and a 200m run. Might have even been a dotcom WOD. It was quite a while ago.
That's a compelling argument for not doing heavy deadlifts in a metcon, but hardly a compelling argument for dropping deadlifts at the top.

I haven't read a single good reason for dropping deadlifts.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:12 PM   #25
Eric Chapman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Rehm View Post
That's a compelling argument for not doing heavy deadlifts in a metcon, but hardly a compelling argument for dropping deadlifts at the top.

I haven't read a single good reason for dropping deadlifts.
On Matt "KROC" Kroczaleski's youtube channel someone asked, "Why do you drop the weight like that after every rep? Why dont you lower it in a controlled fashion?"

Matt responded, "Because in a powerlifting meet you pull a max single from a dead stop, there is no down movement so you don't benefit from the stretch reflex of lowering the weight. By not providing any resistance on the way down I am attempting to simulate competition conditions and eliminate the stretch reflex as much as possible."

That seems like one good reason to me for dropping dl's.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:33 PM   #26
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
And the much lighter weights in metcons don't enforce good form, either. It's easy to just sling the weight around, only to realize the next day how bad an idea that was.

Katherine
Yep, that's happened to me before and I definitely don't want to do it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Mullens View Post
Honestly, the more I do DLs, the more I am unwilling to do anything approaching deadlifts "for time" unless the weight I'm doing is something with which I'd warm up, and even then I'm cautious about form.
Me too, I tape myself so I know, and not just feel, that my form is solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Archibald View Post
The injuries were in a metcon. Our coach has been wary of programming deadlifts in a metcon since, although we did do Rankel last week. I think he now tries to pay special attention to form and keep the volume low. With Rankel the number of reps isn't outrageous for most people. In my last 3 rounds I was doing 2 sets of 3, lowering 2 and dropping the 3rd. I also don't bounce the bar. I lower, reset and pull. No pain or unusual soreness the next day.

As far as soreness goes, for me volume hurts more than max efforts. I am way more sore after 200 air squats than working up to a 3 or 5 rep max BS. I don't remember the specific metcon where people were hurt but I think it was over 100 reps of deadlifts at a moderate weight (185 for guys maybe). Might have been 10 rounds of 10 DL and a 200m run. Might have even been a dotcom WOD. It was quite a while ago.
That will do it.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:03 PM   #27
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Chapman View Post
On Matt "KROC" Kroczaleski's youtube channel someone asked, "Why do you drop the weight like that after every rep? Why dont you lower it in a controlled fashion?"

Matt responded, "Because in a powerlifting meet you pull a max single from a dead stop, there is no down movement so you don't benefit from the stretch reflex of lowering the weight. By not providing any resistance on the way down I am attempting to simulate competition conditions and eliminate the stretch reflex as much as possible."

Again, he's probably pulling 700-800lbs which imparts a bit more stress on his body than the average CFers deadlift. There's also no stretch-reflex if you take a slight break to regrip and breathe for each subsequent rep. I can pull a heavy set of 5, lower each under control, and still pull reps 2-5 from a dead stop. All that means is that I'm not bouncing the reps.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:05 PM   #28
Jacob Israel Briskin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Chapman View Post

Need to nip this in the bud; here's the video in question http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0KDnaHCOQ0 (WFS) As you can see, Matt lowers each rep with his hands on the bar, although he doesn't bother to slowly control the negative. The last rep he lets go of it a bit earlier than would be allowed in competition, but yknow what, he's Matt.

I don't drop deadlifts for the same reason I don't bounce bench presses off my chest or squat above parallel, because it's dumb. I figure if a thing is worth doing, it's worth doing right, and for my definition of "right" I don't see any problem with adopting the standards of the many international organizations who exist for the purpose of testing and judging these movements.

Last edited by Jacob Israel Briskin : 01-18-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:17 PM   #29
Jim Colby

Profile:

I'm betting that people hurt themselves more lowering the bar because they aren't focusing on proper form as much as they do when raising the bar. You won't be able to lift a decent weight without proper form. Once you've lifted the weight, its not hard to imagine people thinking the hard work is over, lowering the bar is much easier than raising the bar, the form deteriorates a bit and....boom... a wrenched back.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:52 AM   #30
Jon Gregory

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Colby View Post
I'm betting that people hurt themselves more lowering the bar because they aren't focusing on proper form as much as they do when raising the bar. You won't be able to lift a decent weight without proper form. Once you've lifted the weight, its not hard to imagine people thinking the hard work is over, lowering the bar is much easier than raising the bar, the form deteriorates a bit and....boom... a wrenched back.
Yep....so many people have trouble on the way down they are an injury waiting to happen.