CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-10-2006, 11:12 AM   #1
Bob Long

Profile:
I did this workout at the track Saturday:

You'll need two markers. I just used two socks. Set your watch or Gymboss timer for 30 seconds. On Go: sprint around the track. When 30 seconds hit drop the marker (sock). Now walk back to the start. Set the 30 seconds again. Go again and try to beat the previous mark. If you do, drop the other marker. If you don't the first marker stays and it means you ran slower. Do eight sprints. I beat the marker six out of eight. Distance doesn't matter. Just try to beat the marker. I thought of using small dumbbells for this too. I guess it's sort of Tabata-like but not exactly. I'll try this twice a week. Any suggestions for changes/improvements?
Old 04-10-2006, 06:20 PM   #2
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
I don't get it. If you went all out the first time, how are you going to beat it the second time or any time after that?

Reminds me of routines where people suggest 5 sets of 5 reps with your 5RM.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:39 AM   #3
Bob Long

Profile:
You try. Sometimes you make it sometimes you don't. Is 'all out' really all out or can you do better? That's the test. Many times I've thought I've done all I can only to do more the next attempt.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:58 AM   #4
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Paul, more times than not, the mind gives in before the body. Add some motivation and you'd be surprised at what you can achieve.

I think it's a good idea and something I may try when I'm healthy. Good stuff Bob!
Old 04-11-2006, 09:51 AM   #5
Dave Rounsevelle

Profile:

I do this type of workout with some small variations ( I started doing it last week. I go for a minute hard, jog or walk for 2 mins (HR to 135-140) then hit it again (HR 162-171). Most of the time I do them on the Treadmill since the weather has been so crapy.
Anthony is right. Sometimes I don't think I can set the TM any higher-in MPH- and make it, but sometimes I gut it out and do make a full min at a new speed.
Only Bob must be in better shape than me because I top out at about 4-5 sprints, and usually do six total with the last one or two being slower.
Hopefully the weather will get better and I'll try Bob's W/O at the track later this week.
Thanks for the input Bob.
Dave
Old 04-11-2006, 11:38 AM   #6
Garrett Smith

Profile:
2x/week of all-out maximal ~200 yd sprints, even when limited to 8 rounds, may be too much for many people's nervous systems and quickly lead to under-recovery, especially if combined with WODs.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:35 AM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Sprint sets are bloody nasty as I found out after revisiting them some time ago. I'm looking forward to them again, but by no means am I the boy I was 10 years ago doing those after polevault practice.
I definitely will have to build up to them. Go away rain!
Old 04-12-2006, 10:27 AM   #8
Jibreel Freeland

Profile:
Some say squats are the king of exercises. I say sprints.

Mabe one's speed can progress a bit as the body gets more warmed up. But six out of eight? That is pretty good.

I am usually gassed after five maximal effort 100-200yd. sprints. 30 seconds and you're probably hitting what, 225 yds.?
Old 04-12-2006, 07:59 PM   #9
Jeff Haas

Profile:
Just try running the straights and walking the curves, do 1600 meters of that and it will make you see double,it had been awhile since I did that,I tried it a few weeks ago and I was sore for a few days
Old 04-12-2006, 08:02 PM   #10
Jeff Haas

Profile:
Fact is I'm sorry I brought that up,next thing I know that'll be part of a WOD and you all will hate me