CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-16-2008, 11:15 AM   #1
Jon Beardsley

Profile:
Tendonitis?

Hi,
Hope someone can help. I have a pain on the inside of the elbow and the first couple of inches of my bicep. Its been there a while and I think it start when I over reached throwing a punch several weeks ago. I've just kept training with it until last week when it started getting much worse and now I can't lift any weight with my hand in the supine (palm up) position. Neutral and prone seem OK. I've been told it's tendonitis and to leave it a week then start excentric exercises on that arm. All the stuff I've read regarding bicep tendonitis refers to the shoulder, but that's not a problem. Also, would it be OK to continue doing pull ups (hand over/prone) as this doesn't seem to bother it? Chins (I alternate pull ups and chins to get a mix) I realise are out and to be honest I couldn't do them if my life depended on it at the moment. Also there is no swelling or redness and it isn't sore to the touch. It only hurts if I put pressure/weight on the arm with the palm up. Is it OK to keep exercising with pushing moves? I really don't want to lose any ground I've gained, but I also don't want to end up with permanent damage.

Any help and advice would be gratefully received.

Regards
Jon
Old 02-16-2008, 12:13 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Tendonitis?

Rest as long as it takes for the pain to go away.

You can do stuff if it gives you no pain. Recognize, though, that it may start hurting and you will want to stop. Never do anything on pain.

Massage, hydrate well, stretch the area. Sometimes joint/connective tissue stuff can help like glucosamine & condroitin, fish oil, shark, etc.

Eccentrics... ehh. Eccentrics can cause tendonitis. It may help or it might not. If it causes pain don't do it. I would just recommend going back into workouts lightly.

P.S. read some other threads on this forum.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:26 AM   #3
Jon Beardsley

Profile:

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the reply. Been doing the official warm-up minus the pull-ups to keep me going, but it still got a bit worse. So subed with push ups instead of dips as I was thinking they may not be helping either, but today its a little stiffer and the pain is starting to go into the muscle belly more. So I think total rest is on the cards.

Thanks again.

Cheers
Jon
Old 02-20-2008, 10:00 PM   #4
Bobbi Beglau Salvini

Profile:

With any injury protect it when you are sleeping. In the day time your body will quickly adjust but at night you will trash injuries as you thrash around. Do this for 8 weeks after your pain has stopped. Also try using a band for tennis elbo, you can get one at a drug store, and ware it above the elbo. If it works, lay off what hurts for a week, then go back using the band to protect new tissues.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:22 AM   #5
Jon Beardsley

Profile:

Thanks Bobbi. Elasticated tubular bandaged bought. I'll tryout ome light workouts next week. That should've give it plenty of time to do something. Think I'll stay off pulls for a while longer though.

Cheers
Jon