CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-22-2014, 07:35 AM   #1
Chris Mason

Profile:
Carbs to include simple carb

I'm curious how many CFers here consume significant carbs in their daily diet as well as how many will include at least some simple carbs? Reply here and give me an idea of what you do.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:10 AM   #2
Lance Neumeyer

Profile:
Re: Carbs to include simple carb

I eat a large chicken or beef rice bowl for lunch every day at work; it's big enough that I'll have about half for lunch then half 2 hours before I go to the box. I've noticed a significant improvement in WODS since doing this.

Only significant amount of sugar in my diet is my coffee creamer. Weekends I'll have a few beers, chips, etc. Lots of BBQ or smoked meat.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:15 AM   #3
Shane Jensen

Profile:

I eat at least a cup of white rice with my lunch and dinner. Usually eat ~1 cup of oatmeal in the morning with breakfast. Have just started recently eating 2 pieces of toast with my breakfast as well.

I may need to up this, because through out the course of the summer I've dropped 4-5 lbs that I didn't really want to lose.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:34 AM   #4
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
I'm curious how many CFers here consume significant carbs in their daily diet as well as how many will include at least some simple carbs? Reply here and give me an idea of what you do.
Depending on how much glycogen Ive burnt. If it was strength training, then 100g of rice in PWO meal. If it was long, endurance stuff, increase amount as needed.

No or minimum carbs prior workout and 30g of pure glucose (+1 tsp of salt) during workout.

On off days, again zero or minimum carbs.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:02 AM   #5
Kerry Kubla

Profile:

I keep my total carb intake to under 50 grams a day.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:15 AM   #6
Mike Doehla

Profile:

I eat overnight oats every morning with a banana. It's about a cup of oats. At lunch I'll eat either white rice, because I don't think it matters if it's brown, or potatoes. Either sweet or white, sometimes purple if I'm feeling fancy and want the women at work to ask what the heck is on my plate. For dinner I'll usually have the same type of carb source. I will also eat entire pizzas from time to time and not post in a paleo forum about how my stomach hurts because I tricked my mind into thinking gluten is bad even though I'm tolerant to it.

I like carbs.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:26 AM   #7
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Everything I eat is a good source of carbohydrate so my diet is around 75-80% carbs. I don't use sugar (sucrose) though, but I do get plenty of simple sugars from dried fruit.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:33 AM   #8
Adam Shreim

Profile:

I started adding a lot of carbs into my diet. A serving size (1 and 1/3 cup) of Cheerios (the "protein" kind) in the morning. I like to add whole oat or waxe maize powder in with protein pre/post-WO and I like to eat potatoes or rice in the evening after a tough training session (which is at leat 5 days a week right now).

Soon, because I am too busy to properly recover, I am going to slow down and shift to only running and calisthenic/gymnastic MetCons for 2-4 weeks, I will consume a little less carbs. I cannot support cutting them out of my diet when the program I am following has us doing back squats, snatches, cleans and some type of pull (at a minimum)- 5 days a week. Saturday has both back and front squats, snatches and clean and jerks at 85% (2x3s), high pulls, and strict press.

My target Carbohydrate intake on a training day is AT LEAST 300g.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:49 AM   #9
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Does the bacon cheese burger I had for lunch today count? How about the flour tortilla of my breakfast taco this morning?
Old 08-22-2014, 12:15 PM   #10
Clint Harris

Profile:

When at the grocery store, I don't buy any significant carb sources (other than the odd sweet potato). I don't eat much in the way of fruit, and do like vegetables. I'm typically a very simple eater. Meat and 2 veg type stuff. There's nothing better to me than a rib-eye on the grill, with a beer while I cook it, then some broccoli and some carrot/parsnip mash on the side. No sauces or anything, just the food. That's when I'm at home - paleo/primal intentions but is not strict nor even to some make-believe ratio. My lunch, when I make it, will be something similar or perhaps a few random things like egg, deli meat, on some spinach if not left-over dinner.

When out in the wild, I eat what I can find. Typically 2-3 lunches per week then whatever happens on the weekend while out and about. So there will an onslaught of bread, chocolate, pizza, ice-cream, pasta, cheeseburgers, dairy, fries, potatoes, whatever coming in. I don't lose any sleep over it and is probably a good thing anyway. The more gluten in my bread the better too - I think that's why bread here in America typically sucks or is a big let down. Not enough gluten in it.

I don't eat cereal/oatmeal because it even tastes like sugary crap, tastes like cardboard, or is the most delicious thing ever and as a result, I have no filter for it. I'll eat 5 bowls and be looking for more.

Whole milk I enjoy but I have no problem putting on weight. None. Fat or muscle I'll grow it. Unfortunately, milk makes me grow both very quickly and I can't put my pants on (past thighs let alone zip them up).

When I squat/deadlift heavy or have had a few beat down metcons in a row at the gym, I will start to feel tired in my body. I'll often take a trip to the 7-11 at 10pm for some "snacks" or eat an entire pizza. I do have 'results' which I do not take daily, but will take in my PWO when I feel like I am getting close to this point. It usually helps. These are the only times I go out of my way to get some simple sugars into me.

Now, perhaps I could do a better job. But I'm not a professional athlete or even remotely close to entertaining being a serious fitnesser either. Nor am I an over-zealous ex-high-school athlete. I'm not even sure I understand what an ex-highschool athlete actually is. Even some "college athletes" are questionable ... "I played college rugby in 1995" ..... smirks. So I guess why I bring this up is because I'm really only doing this for the exercise and to stay healthy. I known how to push and throw down in the gym. I'm not simply going through the motions. I actually slam a slam ball. But if my performance in the gym today sucks because I didn't eat enough carbs, or conversely because I ate an entire pizza last night. So be it. I'll be right as rain in a day or two.

Not sure if this is what you were after - just sort of started to ramble (if you couldn't tell).