CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-04-2014, 03:18 AM   #1
Chris Tan

Profile:
Question How to tailor my diet to drop a couple % of body fat?

Hey guys,

I'm typically an ectomorph, I was 70kg (5"10) when I started CrossFit 2 years ago and I'm now 85kg. I find it very hard to gain weight, but the combination of hard training and a good diet has helped me to reach my goal weight. My only concern now is that I'm not 'shredded', I've got visible abs (I'm about 15% BF), but they're not as defined as I would like them to be and I'm carrying a bit too much gut on my lower stomach. My concern is that I don't want to impact on my training / recovery by 'dieting' and would prefer to address the situation by analysing what I'm currently doing and how it could be better etc.

Here's my diet on a training day
I currently follow Competitors Training (3 on, 1 off, 2 on, 1 off)

0800: 1 x ON Multivitamins + 2 x L'Canitine Tablets
Protein Smoothie - 2x 25ml scoop Reflex Instant Whey Pro, 1 Banana, handful of frozen blueberries, 400ml of full fat milk, large spoon of peanut butter & 5ml scoop of MP Nutri Greens

500ml of water and a green tea

1030: 3 x Hard Boiled Eggs and an apple

500ml of water

1300: 2 x Thin Turkey Steaks, 1 avocado, salad leaves, carrot batons, chopped peppers, cucumber and tomato with full fat coleslaw.

500ml of water

1545: 2 x 25ml scoops of Reflex Instant Whey Pro with water, 5g of Beta Alanine, 10g of Glutamine, 10g of BCAA and 3g of Taurine

2 x Creatine Ethly Esther Tablets

1715: Training

500-1,000ml of water

Post-workout: 2 x Creatine Ethly Esther Tablets
2 x 25ml scoops of Reflex Instant Whey Pro with water, 5g of Beta Alanine, 10g of Glutamine, 10g of BCAA, 3g of electrolyte powder and 2x 35g of maltodextrin electrolyte

2100: Steak, sweet potato fries and steamed kale

500ml of water with a peppermint/nettle tea

2330: 50g of Reflex Mscellar Casein with 50ml of coconut water, 250ml of coconut milk and 10g of glutamine.

0000: 2 x ON Multivitamin, 2 x Cod Liver Oil (1000mg), 2 x Vitamin D3, 1 x Glucosamine and 3x ZMA

Based on the above, the diet is already pretty strict but I have enough discipline to tailor it if required. A lot of people have pointed out that I have a very high fat diet, which I switched to this year following some reading on the Bulletproof Exec etc. I find it helps with recovery and with size. I also have a little bit too much protein powder and could look at substituting it if required. I used to eat Greek Yoghurt at night time, but I find that if I eat too much dairy it can upset my stomach a bit and lead to bloating.

Any comments will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-04-2014, 04:13 AM   #2
Luke Sirakos

Profile:
Re: How to tailor my diet to drop a couple % of body fat?

Eat fewer calories. The foods you eat won't cause you to cut fat, eating less will.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:29 AM   #3
Chris Tan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
Eat fewer calories. The foods you eat won't cause you to cut fat, eating less will.
I know that the above is pretty much true, but will that impact on training / recovery? I used to calorie count and can use the Harris Benedict formula etc to work out my daily calorie burn, but I though that the general principal these days had shifted towards the quality of the food that you consume rather than the amount of calories and the argument that the food you eat doesn't impact on this can be debated.

E.g. The average calories per gram of fat = 9, compared to Carbs (Sugar) = 4. Does this mean that I should consume less Fat and more Carbs to lose body fat?
Old 08-04-2014, 05:22 AM   #4
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

It means you should consume less calories. If less fat works well for you then ditch some fat. The slower you lose the more muscle you maintain so just cut back slowly.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:20 AM   #5
Joe Davison

Profile:

take a trip to www eattoperform .com I think you will find with carb cycling you will lose the body fat and probably be able to eat more than you are currently eating.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:52 AM   #6
Chris Mason

Profile:

As you have been training for some time and have made good strides in your development (based on your significant weight gain) you cannot be considered a beginner. As such, you are going to be hard pressed to lose body fat and not impact training recovery to some degree.

My suggestion would be to cut 300 calories from your training and to have that cut consist of carbs. I would also redesign your diet and focus the majority of your carb intake to the period of a few hours before and immediately after your training sessions on training days.

Follow the reduced cal diet for at least 2 weeks to see what impact it has on your body weight and fat. If you are losing 1-1.5 lbs of fat per week continue with it until that stops for at least 2 weeks and then consider another small drop if you have not reached your goal.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:33 AM   #7
Larry Bruce

Profile:

Your diet looks like about 3.5K calories though without knowing the portions it could be more or less. I could see this promoting weight gain.

It looks like you are taking in 100g in protein powder a day, which just not necessary. You could easily cut out 50g.

The coconut milk at night doesn't seem necessary to me. It's pouring fat into your bloodstream when you will be shifting into primarily fat burning mode at night, which will reduce bodyfat utilization in favour of burning what you ingested.

So together that is probably around a 750 calore reduction. If that's too much to cut out with your activity level, I would look to add in legumes like chick peas or lentils - a good source of carb and protein in your salad which will promote performance and recovery, and add some useful fibre.You'd probably want about a 400 calorie deficit after taking into account your activity - which might reduce a bit as a result. You could eat normally on rest days (at maintenance level) to promote recovery. This would probably result in a .5 fat pound fat loss per week, and over 10 weeks would bring you to about 12% largely maintaining muscle mass.

Outside of that I'd look to incorporate fish a few times a week in lieu of steak if possible.

Last edited by Larry Bruce : 08-10-2014 at 07:46 AM.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:55 AM   #8
Chris Tan

Profile:

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll start making some tweaks to scale the calories down
Old 08-14-2014, 07:31 AM   #9
Ludovic Deguy

Profile:

Do you know how many calories you eat during a typical day ?
A good starting point is to cut 300-500kcal from your maintenance level of calories intake and see what you get after a couple of weeks, then adjust from there.

Do you know how many grams of prot / carbs / fat do you eat during a tipical day ?
Regarding proteins, a good rule of thumb is to not go above 1g per day per pound of lean body mass.
You should also adjust to your activity level (training volume and intensity of the day, work, ...), on rest days 1g/pound/day is too much.
With 85kg and 15% BF, you probably don't need more than 160g of proteins per day, even on very active days. And somewhere between 120 and 140g on rest days.

Regarding carbs :
Of course, to cut fat, the first quantity to reduce is often the amount of carbs you eat.
That being said, I am not a big fan of very low carbs diets, even to cut bodyfat.
Unless cutting is very hard for you (bad genetics regarding bodyfat), I think you shouldn’t go extreme regarding cutting carbs from your diet.
The zone ratio (9g of carbs for every block of 7g of proteins) is a good starting point to assess your needs in carbs.

Regarding fat :
Adjust to target the total calories you need (maintenance level – 300 to 500 kcal).
Old 09-25-2014, 07:46 AM   #10
Chris Tan

Profile:

Thanks for all of the replies guys, I've made some tweaks and finally took the time to calculate all nutrients. I can definitely feel myself leaning out (indicated by the drop in weight as well as aesthetics).

Based on my height (5"10), current weight (~82kg) and activity levels I should be able burn around 3,251.38 calories a day.

My diet is fairly similar to the above, but I've made the following tweaks.
  • Pre-workout has been replaced by a snack (either a bar or mackrel + fruit)
  • My dinner is the last meal of the day

This results in the following breakdown (Carb/Protein/Fat - calories):

Breakfast: 123.24 / 36.87 / 7.86 - 692
Mid Morning: 22 / 39 / 33 - 552
Lunch: 35.4 / 38.25 / 52.05 - 741
Mid-Afternoon: 21 / 20 / 10 - 210
Pre & Post Workout: 53.8 / 36.1 / 1.1 - 370
Dinner: 50 / 33 / 13.6 - 447

Total Calories = 3,012

Total Carbs = 305.44g
Total Protein = 203.22g
Total Fat = 117.61

Roughly 3:2:1 ratio

Based on the above, I can definitely feel the effects of cutting ~200 calories a day. The downside is that I've lost a bit of size

Have you guys got any comments regarding the ratios, timings, anything?

Thanks for your help so far.