CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-17-2014, 08:07 AM   #1
Luke Sirakos

Profile:
Time to jump off that gluten free train...

Same scientists who made the original findings that people without celiacs can have sensitivities to gluten ran another study that shows non-celiac gluten sensitivity may not exist at all. I am sure the anti-gluten crowd will come up with a new make believe condition to keep peddling their gluten free cupcakes though

Article about the studies below with links to actually studies at the bottom.

http://www.realclearscience.com/blog...not_exist.html (WFS)
Old 05-17-2014, 10:31 AM   #2
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: Time to jump off that gluten free train...

I'm pretty sure I've been saying it was b.s. all along... At least relative to the self-reported incidence rates (and reported by the quacks).
Old 05-18-2014, 01:13 AM   #3
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

What about lectins? I believes its them thats making grains unhealthy for humans, according to some study in 2013 or even newer? I can look it up tomorrow, not at home atm...
Old 05-18-2014, 10:29 AM   #4
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
What about lectins? I believes its them thats making grains unhealthy for humans, according to some study in 2013 or even newer? I can look it up tomorrow, not at home atm...
Diets rich in whole or minimally processed grains are associated with a reduced risk of cancer, cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, overweight and obesity. To say they are unhealthy is simply absurd.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:07 PM   #5
Jason Tebedo

Profile:

What is the tipping point or key component in whole grains that leads to a reduced chance of cancer, cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, overweight and obesity? I don't think it is the grain itself.

Correlation does not equal causation.

Could it be that people who eat whole grains are more health conscious compared to those who don't? Ultimately resulting in lower overall calories and a higher consumption of macronutrients?
Old 05-19-2014, 04:41 AM   #6
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
Diets rich in whole or minimally processed grains are associated with a reduced risk of cancer, cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, overweight and obesity. To say they are unhealthy is simply absurd.
Things you described can also be improved via ketogenic diet, do you recommend people should go on it? Its clear, that once a person is already close to diabetes 2 or CV diseases, a lot of diets can improve his health, but that does not make that diet overall healthy or that nothing healthier exists.

I dont want this to become another pro et contra thread where at the end people will be even more confused than in the beginning.

People should look at valid data, researches and make an intelligent guess what is good for them.

To get back OP, here is the link I was talking about few days ago:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...rch-shows.html

That and the normal paleo logic (we should eat foods that we've evolved around) gives me enough arguments to avoid grains. So far I only saw improvements.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:33 AM   #7
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Tebedo View Post
What is the tipping point or key component in whole grains that leads to a reduced chance of cancer, cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, overweight and obesity? I don't think it is the grain itself.
Good question. We know that whole grains are a good source of carbohydrate, protein, fibre, vitamins, minerals, and a number of bioactive components, some of which have well documented health benefits, and some which are currently being studied to ascertain their precise role in human health eg. phytic acid (inositol hexaphosphate, IP6) and cancer prevention. However, at present we can't say with any degree certainty if just one of these is the key component responsible for the health benefits of whole grains or if it's the synergistic effect of all of them working together.

New hypotheses for the health-protective mechanisms of whole-grain cereals: what is beyond fibre?
Anthony Fardet. Nutrition Research Reviews (2010), 23, 65–134.
(wfs)

Quote:
Correlation does not equal causation.
No argument from me there.

Quote:
Could it be that people who eat whole grains are more health conscious compared to those who don't? Ultimately resulting in lower overall calories and a higher consumption of macronutrients?
Yes, of course.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:21 PM   #8
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
Things you described can also be improved via ketogenic diet, do you recommend people should go on it? Its clear, that once a person is already close to diabetes 2 or CV diseases, a lot of diets can improve his health, but that does not make that diet overall healthy or that nothing healthier exists.
Sorry Dare, but high fat diets, ketogenic or otherwise, are associated with an increased risk of the conditions I listed.

Diet, Nutrition and the Prevention of Chronic Diseases.

Quote:
I dont want this to become another pro et contra thread where at the end people will be even more confused than in the beginning.

People should look at valid data, researches and make an intelligent guess what is good for them.

To get back OP, here is the link I was talking about few days ago:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...rch-shows.html
I agree, people should look at valid data. I don't think an opinion piece designed to promote Dr Perlmutter's book falls into that category though.

Quote:
That and the normal paleo logic (we should eat foods that we've evolved around) gives me enough arguments to avoid grains. So far I only saw improvements.
Grains have been part of the human diet for at least 100,000 years, so according to "paleo logic" you should be eating them too.

Mozambican Grass Seed Consumption During the Middle Stone Age.
Julio Mercader, DOI: 10.1126/science.1173966.

*All links wfs*
Old 05-19-2014, 01:06 PM   #9
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Sorry, Darryl, but general population dont like the raw, hardcore, data so I posted a link to something even an everage joe can understand.

Maybe this is better for those that fancy raw data: http://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/5/10/3839 wfs

As for mozambique, old thread on this forum debunked it: http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=53972 wfs

Also, as I recall, there were also findings of seed consumption in early homo sapiens, something in their teeth deposits or similar, which might be a better proof? But scientists agreed there is no direct link as these deposits might be there because homo sapiens ate animals that might have undigested seeds in their stomatch, etc.

Oh and also, isnt ketogenic diet advised for those with diabetes2? http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1325029/ wfs

Quote:
Conclusion

The LCKD improved glycemic control in patients with type 2 diabetes such that diabetes medications were discontinued or reduced in most participants. Because the LCKD can be very effective at lowering blood glucose, patients on diabetes medication who use this diet should be under close medical supervision or capable of adjusting their medication.
And also this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12097663 wfs

Quote:
The results suggest that a short-term ketogenic diet does not have a deleterious effect on CVD risk profile and may improve the lipid disorders characteristic of atherogenic dyslipidemia.
The list could go on...
Old 05-19-2014, 01:29 PM   #10
Jason Tebedo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
Sorry Dare, but high fat diets, ketogenic or otherwise, are associated with an increased risk of the conditions I listed.

Diet, Nutrition and the Prevention of Chronic Diseases.

I agree, people should look at valid data. I don't think an opinion piece designed to promote Dr Perlmutter's book falls into that category though.

Grains have been part of the human diet for at least 100,000 years, so according to "paleo logic" you should be eating them too.

Mozambican Grass Seed Consumption During the Middle Stone Age.
Julio Mercader, DOI: 10.1126/science.1173966.

*All links wfs*

Thanks for the great reply!