CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-23-2013, 05:12 PM   #11
Eric Preston

Profile:
Re: HELP! How to get bigger as ectomorph!!!

First, I want to thank all of you who have taken the time to post and guide me in the correct direction so far. I truly appreciate all the help!

My box starts w/ a warm up (today was EMOM 10 burpees for 7 mins), then we move to strength (today was back squat 1RM - I PR'ed at 205#), then the WOD (today was 21, 18, 15, 12, 9, 6, 3: pull ups, HR pushups, 24" box jumps).

I'll definitely try to get away from so many protein shakes... they just started to build up as I began counting my protein intake and was way low.

What would you suggest for good carbs and fats on the go? I have the patients to cook snacks for the week on a Sunday... so that's not an issue... I just don't know what to cook that will stay and be good on the run. I do love sweet potatoes.

I'm not sure what my cal intake is... I've never been hungry before until the last few weeks... I've been almost constantly hungry. I'm thinking it's messing up my sleep? (been having weird dreams and difficulty falling asleep and staying asleep)

What/when do yall eat? How about at work (I'm an attorney and work in an office, but have access to a small fridge that's usually pretty full with others' stuff)?
Old 09-23-2013, 05:17 PM   #12
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Incorporate complex carbohydrates at each of your main meals to the tune of 75-100g. Add simple carbs 1-4hr before, during and after heavy lifting. Protein intake is more than adequate. I used to be in the same boat and realized I was only eating 150g or so of carbs a day. Up the carbs and your weight will go up.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #13
Eric Preston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
Incorporate complex carbohydrates at each of your main meals to the tune of 75-100g. Add simple carbs 1-4hr before, during and after heavy lifting. Protein intake is more than adequate. I used to be in the same boat and realized I was only eating 150g or so of carbs a day. Up the carbs and your weight will go up.
Thanks Bill. What do you suggest for comlex carbs and what do you suggest for simple carbs?
Old 09-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #14
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

You need to be less concerned with what you eat and focus on how much you eat. Track your calories and if you aren't gaining keep increasing them, your diet now is FAR too low.

Also, if your goal is to put on muscle you most likely will not do it by doing crossfit style workouts as they do not promote hypertrophy, for that you need to follow a bodybuilding style routine. Don't worry, just because a bunch of crossfit people say you shouldn't do curls or use machines doesn't mean they do not help you put on mass. Sure you should still focus on the big lifts but don't fool yourself into thinking you are going to get big on crossfit and definitely not with that diet.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #15
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

Wow... I'm not surprised you're having trouble sleeping. You're basically starving yourself. If your even getting 2K cal I'm surprised. To gain weight you need to at least double your intake of food and dump all the protein shakes. If you want real mass protein won't get you there, food will. I'm an ecto as well, in HS I was 130lb at 6'0. Now I'm 190 at 6'2. To get there I had to eat more. I have 4 full meals a day and on training days I have a protein shake before bed.

Some tips. Whole Milk is your friend. Unless your intolerant... Then your screwed. If you can handle it I know guys that drink a couple tablespoons of olive oil or something. Can get another 500 cal easy from that. Start eating eggs, bacon, steaks, pork, ribs, chicken (cooked in olive oil), and potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice, and (gasp!) pasta. Carbs are your friend when gaining weight. One thing that boosted me 10 pounds was dialing down the crossfit, Oly lifting and squatting more, and adding 4 eggs every morning to my morning calorie shake. Just throw **** in there. Milk, coconut milk (easy cals just don't use a whole can), fruits, peanut butter, oils, eggs (yup raw), and whatever else you can fancy. Eat cheese cause it's awesome.

And listen to this: http://fitr.tv/blogs/barbell-shrugge...orm-episode-64 (wfs).

If your like me and have trouble eating large meals spread it out over 4-6 meals. If you really want to gain eat ice cream every night before bed. You can always cut any gained fat later (if you do even gain any. In some subjects ice cream before bed on workout days seems to help them lose fat. There was a thread here on it.)
Old 09-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #16
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

I am a fan of rice/barely and a legume like black beans or lentils. You may need to jazz them up with some seasoning to make them taste enough to want to eat 2 cups or so of each sitting lol. They benefit you by adding additional protein and other nutrients needed for activity. Whole grain bread makes calories easy to get too. I do well with a PB and J 2 hours before lifting or KB's. Potatoes are good carbs sources as well. Dice 2-3 up, add water in the pan and cover. I garnish with salt pepper and a little olive oil.

For simple stuff I do strawberry keifer post workout. Gatorade is a good during and after CHO source as well. The powder is cheaper than the beverage, just add water. If keifer is tough to find milk is good post workout. The only think I warn about gatorade is to try and not drink it all day. There is evidence about CHO beverages like that tearing your teeth up so I limit drinks with sugars to just workout times. Bananas, berries, and other fruits are decent options too.

Those are just some. There are pasta options too. It basically boils down to what you like the most and can make palatable enough to eat it in adequate amounts. With a lot of whole grain stuff it isn't that tastey so you have to make it.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #17
Eric Preston

Profile:

Awesome... thanks guys! I'm really going to ramp up my calorie intake. ICE CREAM on workout days?!? wow! I can't remember the last time I allowed myself to eat ice cream! haha.

So, I'm thinking... I begin to cook breakfast in the morning. Eggs and whole wheat toast. Maybe I'll make a bunch of pasta or a bunch of black beans on Sunday and just eat them throughout the days, in between meals, whenever I get hungry. I guess I should double my lunch intake? 2 sandwiches and/or more veggies. Then before workout simple carbs/sugar... you say a BB&J works well? I love PB&J! Do I want simple or coplex carbs AFTER my workout? Who knows, maybe I'll even try eating a little ice cream a few nights a week.

As for my workouts... I love Crossfit too much to stop. I like the people and the constant motivation. BUT, maybe I keep my normal crossfit routine at 3 days a week and throw in a day or 2 of pure strength training... could I do a morning of strength and then an afternoon WOD? or do you think that would be too much? I'll definitely make Saturday a strength day... I get a bunch of cardio on my weekends anyway... surfing, wake surfing, and skating.

I know I keep throwing a bunch of stuff out there, but yall have been so cool about answering and helping out that I figure I'll keep asking until I annoy you too much and you just ignore me
Old 09-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #18
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

I'd suggest 3 days of CF if you MUST do it, and at 3 days of heavy barbell work. Recovery will be important so I'd suggest NOT doing CF on days after lifting heavy.

As far as food, try having a PB&J with a glass of milk every night before bed, in addition to what everyone else is suggesting.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to ask your coach. If he/she knows what he/she is doing, they will know that taking time to focus on strength and weight gain will only help you in the long run. Maybe they have a barbell club, who knows?
Old 09-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #19
Eric Preston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Allen Jones View Post
I'd suggest 3 days of CF if you MUST do it, and at 3 days of heavy barbell work. Recovery will be important so I'd suggest NOT doing CF on days after lifting heavy.

As far as food, try having a PB&J with a glass of milk every night before bed, in addition to what everyone else is suggesting.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to ask your coach. If he/she knows what he/she is doing, they will know that taking time to focus on strength and weight gain will only help you in the long run. Maybe they have a barbell club, who knows?
PB&J & Milk - check. I will love adding that!

Also, my box does what they call "bomb squad"... it's all strength training. I've never felt on the same level as those guys, but I'll start at my scaled weights and see where it takes me.

I'm stoked to try this new routine!!!
Old 09-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #20
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Being told you don't have to watch what you eat as much is always fun.

I live on whole and chocolate milk. Meat, potatoes, rice, good vegetables for health. Double whatever you decide to make for dinner and bring the leftovers to work for lunch. As long as it's not something stinky like fish, but I'm sure you already know that.

Nuts, jerky, PB&J, cans of tuna, avocado, these things are all your friends for snacks. Actually, those frozen soft pretzels are pretty good sources of carbs. Not perfectly clean but not going to kill you by any means.

As for timing, I eat breakfast before work, a snack (granola bars slathered in peanut butter is a common one) around 9:30 if time allows, lunch, another snack around 2:30, dinner at ~5:30, workout and a protein/dextrose/creatine shake in whole milk immediately after, and then another snack before bed if I am feeling frisky. I'm thinking ice cream sounds good tonight.

I got a little sidetracked on gaining recently between some busy weeks at work and getting used to new high-volume weightlifting program, but I think I'm starting to get back on the gain train now.