CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-25-2014, 09:36 AM   #1
Matt Moss

Profile:
Nutrition during injury recovery

I just had rotator cuff surgery, so I will be doing pretty much nothing for the first 6-8 weeks. After that, I was told it will be a very slow process getting back into exercise. My question is nutrition.

I am 36 years old, 5'9" and have been 150# since freshman year of high school up until 1.5 years ago. I tried to pack on some bulk and got up to 160 or so and have maintained that for the past year. During this recovery period, I am trying to decide on how to eat. When I am working out, I need that fuel. Sitting in a chair all day is different. I am obviously going to lose muscle over the next few months but not worried about getting "fat". Always been fairly fit.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-25-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
Darryl Shaw

Profile:
Re: Nutrition during injury recovery

Just follow the usual healthy eating guidelines and you'll be fine.

WCRF - Cancer Prevention Recommendations.

Diet, Nutrition and the Prevention of Chronic Diseases.

*All links wfs*
Old 10-25-2014, 05:43 PM   #3
Larry Bruce

Profile:

I think it can be argued that your body will need more food rather than less, all other things being equal. It's going to more active than usual recovering, clearing out the muck and rebuilding tissues of various sorts. You may be less active, however your metabolism won't will be.

Also you should also be sure you are returning to movement as soon as possible, rather than later. It's pretty standard now but I suppose there are still some old school practitioners who want you to be immobile for months.
So in most cases you will start exercising at a very low intensity, using bands, light weights- as this the better outcome than doing nothing.

If it were me I would also look into doing exercise that wouldn't impact the shoulder girdle. Nothing wastes muscle and degrades conditioning like lying in bed all day.

Be well and get well soon.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:13 AM   #4
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

I doubt that recovering from rotator cuff surgery with no working out would have a higher TDEE than working out so I can't imagine you would want to eat more. If it were me I would make sure to eat enough protein and other than that eat around your maintenance level of calories.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:02 AM   #5
Matt Moss

Profile:

I mainly eat paleo anyway. I have been eating more the past year than i used to in the past. I guess I will cut back just a bit and see how it goes. I am 5 days post surgery and havent eaten much. I'm not hungry at all but havent moved much either. Kinda surprised by the pain so far, didn't expect it.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:27 PM   #6
Larry Bruce

Profile:

It's a complicated subject and I can't claim to be qualified enough to have an authoritative opinion, however surgery will certainly increase your nutritional needs above the baseline.

For example, in http://www.huc.min-saude.pt/anestesi.../docs/rne2.pdf (safe safe safe)
surgery evokes altered protein and carb metabolism, hyper-metabolism, increased water retention and fat burning. Increased insulin resistance. And increased body protein breakdown resulting in a negative protein balance.

Combined with a lack of appetite, increased stress hormones and lack of activity this is a damn good recipe for deconditioning of all types.

But yes, the extent of the injury and surgery matters. If it were me, I would eat as much as I could providing it didn't make me feel worse. And of course adequate protein. I believe your needs will be higher than ordinary maintenance for that particular level of activity. Just a free opinion of course.

Last edited by Larry Bruce : 10-27-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:49 PM   #7
Chris Mason

Profile:

Up your protein intake a a percentage of your total intake slightly relative to the norm. I also recommend creatine as there is some evidence it may help you to retain more muscle.