CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-25-2014, 08:38 AM   #11
Luke Sirakos

Profile:
Re: How to tailor my diet to drop a couple % of body fat?

It looks like you are on a good path to me. Your protein is definitely high enough and that along with some lifting is going to be your best bet in maintaining your muscle mass while cutting. How fast is the weight coming off? You can't always depend on those calculators since everyone is a lot different. If you are losing too fast I would add in some calories slowly.

Are you taking creatine? If not I would add it in. Whether it helps prevent muscle loss or not is still up for debate but it is so cheap and it will allow you to push yourself a little further which could help. If you are like me you will gain a few pounds when you start taking it but it is just water weight so don't let that added weight confuse the effects from your caloric deficit.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:19 AM   #12
Chris Tan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
It looks like you are on a good path to me. Your protein is definitely high enough and that along with some lifting is going to be your best bet in maintaining your muscle mass while cutting. How fast is the weight coming off? You can't always depend on those calculators since everyone is a lot different. If you are losing too fast I would add in some calories slowly.

Are you taking creatine? If not I would add it in. Whether it helps prevent muscle loss or not is still up for debate but it is so cheap and it will allow you to push yourself a little further which could help. If you are like me you will gain a few pounds when you start taking it but it is just water weight so don't let that added weight confuse the effects from your caloric deficit.
It's not coming off rapidly and I'm only really basing this on how I look in the mirror / how my clothes fit me. It's pretty gradual tbh although I might start introducing casein at night time again.

My pre-workout (CNP Pro GFX) contains 5g of creatine mono, I'll start adding 5g to my post workout shake as well . Tbh I've never really felt the benefits of creatine, I just add it because it's cheap and a bit of a placebo. I even trialed Ethyl Esther for a while, but I didn't really feel the effects of that either.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:57 PM   #13
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Tan View Post
My pre-workout (CNP Pro GFX) contains 5g of creatine mono, I'll start adding 5g to my post workout shake as well . Tbh I've never really felt the benefits of creatine, I just add it because it's cheap and a bit of a placebo. I even trialed Ethyl Esther for a while, but I didn't really feel the effects of that either.
A significant percentage of people who try creatine are non-responders. Increasing the dose won't help if you're one of them.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:32 PM   #14
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Tan View Post
Thanks for all of the replies guys, I've made some tweaks and finally took the time to calculate all nutrients. I can definitely feel myself leaning out (indicated by the drop in weight as well as aesthetics).

Based on my height (5"10), current weight (~82kg) and activity levels I should be able burn around 3,251.38 calories a day.

My diet is fairly similar to the above, but I've made the following tweaks.
  • Pre-workout has been replaced by a snack (either a bar or mackrel + fruit)
  • My dinner is the last meal of the day

This results in the following breakdown (Carb/Protein/Fat - calories):

Breakfast: 123.24 / 36.87 / 7.86 - 692
Mid Morning: 22 / 39 / 33 - 552
Lunch: 35.4 / 38.25 / 52.05 - 741
Mid-Afternoon: 21 / 20 / 10 - 210
Pre & Post Workout: 53.8 / 36.1 / 1.1 - 370
Dinner: 50 / 33 / 13.6 - 447

Total Calories = 3,012

Total Carbs = 305.44g
Total Protein = 203.22g
Total Fat = 117.61

Roughly 3:2:1 ratio

Based on the above, I can definitely feel the effects of cutting ~200 calories a day. The downside is that I've lost a bit of size

Have you guys got any comments regarding the ratios, timings, anything?

Thanks for your help so far.
You are going to lose some size as you lose body fat. Body fat marbled in your skeletal muscle mass to a degree, and for someone very lean who loses additional body fat a loss of muscle size will occur.

I think your timing is pretty good. You could probably get away with a bit less carbs pre and post-workout. 30-40g for PWO is fine and you could do less pre-workout.