CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-24-2014, 09:24 AM   #1
Tim Trujillo

Profile:
Best Nutrition certification?

Im a Level 1 and a USAW Level 1, but I would love to add some nutrition education to my resume. I'm a full time fireman and a garage gym coach. Both jobs could benefit from a strong nutrition background. I feel really comfortable talking diet with anyone, but I feel more comfortable when you have formal education. I have already googled it and looked at Rob Wolfs stuff. I just don't know whats the most credible. Any info would help, Thank you.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:59 AM   #2
Nathan Phan

Profile:
Re: Best Nutrition certification?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Trujillo View Post
Im a Level 1 and a USAW Level 1, but I would love to add some nutrition education to my resume. I'm a full time fireman and a garage gym coach. Both jobs could benefit from a strong nutrition background. I feel really comfortable talking diet with anyone, but I feel more comfortable when you have formal education. I have already googled it and looked at Rob Wolfs stuff. I just don't know whats the most credible. Any info would help, Thank you.
I too am looking for a good cert. I will let you know if i find something
Old 09-02-2014, 12:35 PM   #3
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Trujillo View Post
If you want a formal education in nutrition go to college and study. If that isn't an option buy yourself a really good textbook like Essentials of Human Nutrition by Mann & Truswell, which is a fantastic book for anyone new to the subject as it's written in plain English, or if you like lots of long words and feel up to something a bit more sciencey, get a copy of Human Nutrition by Catherine Geissler or Exercise Physiology: Nutrition, Energy, and Human Performance, and, you guessed it, study.

Whatever you do though, don't waste your money on some worthless cert where some clueless amateur 'nutrition guru' like Robb Wolf sells you some BS about whichever fad diet all the cool kids are doing this week.

*All links wfs*
Old 09-02-2014, 01:23 PM   #4
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Maybe different approach. Go and study how human body works. There is a free course online started yesterday, might still be open places:

https://class.coursera.org/humanphysio-004

Once foundamental knowledge is gained, everything is a lot clearer. Not only nutrition, but recovery, exercise, pain, etc etc
Old 09-02-2014, 02:42 PM   #5
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
Whatever you do though, don't waste your money on some worthless cert where some clueless amateur 'nutrition guru' like Robb Wolf sells you some BS about whichever fad diet all the cool kids are doing this week.
Agreed 100%. If you want to make your life about nutrition then you would want to go to school, maybe pursue and RD, etc. If you are just looking to improve your knowledge then I wouldn't waste my time or money on some pointless certification that a guru came up with, it wouldn't be worth the paper it is printed on. Instead I would look into something like what Darryl linked to and start getting into the science of the topic.

Before I even bought a book I would check out some of the free resources out there. While there is an incredible amount of pseudoscience under the guise of nutrition, one of the best resources I have come across is Lyle McDonald's bodyrecomposition.com (wfs). He has an article for almost every topic you can think of and he does a very good job at breaking things down to a very understandable level. Build a base knowledge of how your body processes foods and find out what questions you still have.

It isn't going to be something you can learn in one weekend and add to your resume, it is something that takes a lot more time and attention unless you want to regurgitate the latest trendy paleo/primal/whole 30 garbage of the day.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:57 AM   #6
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Tim, take a look at this: http://www.precisionnutrition.com/certification-level-1

Might be good, I dont know, I just come accross it.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:50 AM   #7
Michael Lennox

Profile:

I would recommend Precision Nutrition. They have certifications and I feel its the most legit as far as diet research. I think they also have opportunities to coach but I'm not too sure though. But yeah, its a great site that doesn't lean too far one way or the other and has stuff for athletes, people that want to lose weight, people that want to gain etc. Check it out.

Lennox
Old 09-04-2014, 08:07 AM   #8
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

I guess the real question is why do you want a certification? If you want it to show off and try to get new clients it might be worth the money but if you want it just for your educational purposes I would say that you can learn everything from the PN cert and more for free to very little cost. If it were me I would just get a good text book and utilize the quality online resources out there and teach myself. If you can display a level of competency to your clients and help them achieve results then that is much more valuable than a piece of paper.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:27 PM   #9
Steve Agocs

Profile:

Becoming a registered dietician won't help you a bit for performance athletic nutrition. I don't know what will, as I'm lucky to have had a ton of nutrition in my professional career, but an RD won't get you where you want to be.