CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-18-2014, 12:08 PM   #11
Adam Shreim

Profile:
Re: Help calculating my macros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Base View Post
As much as I love this type of discussion myself, I just want to throw out there that giving dietary composition and caloric intake advice without a license is illegal in all 50states. It's very loosely enforced, but at its core, it's the same as practicing medicine without a license.

Been there, done that, got burned REAL bad...
I didn't know that. I did visit with a liscenced nutritionist, for the purpose of decreasing body fat, though, that put me on a target of 2450-2650 calories using servings to track my intake. I was instructed to eat, by SERVING size:

Grains and grain products - 10 per day. Fruits & Vegetables 4 - 6 per day (each, target was 10 between the two). Low fat or non fat dairy foods - 3 per day. Lean meats, fish, poultry - 2.5 per day. Nuts, seeds, and legumes 5 per week. Fats and sweets - limited to 1 or 2 per week.

Once again, it seems on par with a lot of stuff, except they advised me that I can up the meat intake...and probably the nuts, while limiting some of the grains. In the end, I would still have to alter it, but based on their advice.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:49 PM   #12
Jose Sanchez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Base View Post
As much as I love this type of discussion myself, I just want to throw out there that giving dietary composition and caloric intake advice without a license is illegal in all 50states. It's very loosely enforced, but at its core, it's the same as practicing medicine without a license.

Been there, done that, got burned REAL bad...
Since when is giving advice illegal?
Old 08-18-2014, 05:35 PM   #13
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Sanchez View Post
Since when is giving advice illegal?
I know there is some line where you aren't allowed to give diet advice but I seriously doubt it lies in free online discussions about macro composition. If I were a personal trainer with clients paying me then I think I would need to watch myself in giving specific meal plans. However, saying to someone you should increase your protein intake and lower your fat intake is a completely different ball game.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:48 PM   #14
Jose Sanchez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
I know there is some line where you aren't allowed to give diet advice but I seriously doubt it lies in free online discussions about macro composition. If I were a personal trainer with clients paying me then I think I would need to watch myself in giving specific meal plans. However, saying to someone you should increase your protein intake and lower your fat intake is a completely different ball game.
I am a personal trainer, I understand there is a line you can not cross, not giving professional recommendations and specifc meal guidance. Strictly keeping it to your opinion and advice.