CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 04:46 PM   #1
Chris Mason

Profile:
Community feedback on a product idea

Over the years I have gotten a lot of requests for a more natural protein supplement.

What would you think of something along the following lines?

- The whey is no rBGH free/grassfed/pastured. No more calcium caseinate, micellar in its place. Using whole egg instead of egg white. Better carb sources... The maltodextrin and dextrin are organic and non-GMO. With added oat carbs, cyclic dextrin. Flavoring systems are non-gmo, and use zero chemical flavors or sweeteners, they are 100% natural and use reb-a sweetener.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:03 PM   #2
Clint Harris

Profile:
Re: Community feedback on a product idea

Honestly Chris, I'm not really sure and couldn't give you a solid yes or no answer.
At a certain point though, I kind of get a little bit "information overload" when it comes to protein powders and the like. More legitimate organic/chemical free components would be excellent (but I'm also not kidding myself that it is real food) however if it comes at twice the price, it may be more difficult for me to swallow.

Had/have you ever considered BPA/EA free container too ? (especially EA).
That could be an interesting differentiators too.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:33 PM   #3
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Harris View Post
Honestly Chris, I'm not really sure and couldn't give you a solid yes or no answer.
At a certain point though, I kind of get a little bit "information overload" when it comes to protein powders and the like. More legitimate organic/chemical free components would be excellent (but I'm also not kidding myself that it is real food) however if it comes at twice the price, it may be more difficult for me to swallow.

Had/have you ever considered BPA/EA free container too ? (especially EA).
That could be an interesting differentiators too.
No, but interesting on the container. Thank you.

It would be nowhere near twice the cost. It would be a bit more, but nothing ridiculous.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:11 PM   #4
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Out of curiosity, how could you verify the source of the milk used for your whey? Once something is no longer "food" and becomes a "supplement" is there a reliable tracking method anymore?

Old 08-07-2014, 10:22 PM   #5
Clint Harris

Profile:

Then yea, if the price was right I would definitely go for better quality ingredients. Generally, I do spend more and try to make better choices on my flesh-based proteins; so I guess, why wouldn't I on my supplements (I do to an extent, I won't buy cheap stuff just because I'm out or it's cheap, I'll go without). Even if I can't tell the difference, mentally it is a win.
That being said, I still buy Nitrean+ (although not in a while as I had some stocked) even though there are "grass fed" protein and the like available, I have tried them and quite frankly, simply don't mix well or taste as good.
More often than not it was when these companies come and sample their wares at the gym - and they taste like **** or were mixed terrible. I kind of think if they can't get the sample right, I sure don't want an $80 bag of the stuff. Sometimes they also max me feel a little bloated or a little off (it's subtle, not like being sick, just not quite right).

Ive never had a bad scoop of nitrean - where a bad scoop is me feeling ill/bloated or it mixing or tasting poorly - so that is also important to me. No doubt it has something to do with the fillers and junk that may exist in other products. So the more I think on it, it could be quite compelling if you were able to make a higher quality product.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:33 PM   #6
Clint Harris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Wallis View Post
Out of curiosity, how could you verify the source of the milk used for your whey? Once something is no longer "food" and becomes a "supplement" is there a reliable tracking method anymore?
That is an interesting point.

I also often wish something like this existed for protein powder:
http://blog.beyondthewhiteboard.com/...s-infographic/ WFS

It's about labels on eggs. "Natural" .... yea, eggs are natural, regardless if they* were fed grass, bugs, corn or chicken claws. It also says something in what it doesn't say - where "vegetarian fed" or "omega 3 enriched" doesn't mean the chicken has ever walked, let alone seen sunshine.

So I guess Chris, information and assurance on the sources could also be as important as the ingredients themselves.

*the chickens, not the eggs.

Closed Thread