CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 03-27-2014, 10:04 PM   #1
Steven Thunander

Profile:
Mentioning CrossFit in the interview process

So, I had a couple interviews today and as part of the process, I brought up some CrossFit principals, such as "unknown and unknowable" and "Specializing in not specializing". I brought it up when discussing surprise projects and the ability to shift from analyzing one field to another.

So the question is... Have any of you mentioned CrossFit or some of its terminology during a job interview for a job not related to CF? And in what context did you bring it up?
Old 03-28-2014, 09:11 AM   #2
Douglas Menikheim

Profile:
Re: Mentioning CrossFit in the interview process

I have never brought it up in an interview, but in my opinion, I probably would not bring up Crossfit in an interview unless a) the job was fitness related, b) they asked me what I enjoy doing outside of work, c) I knew the interviewer was also into Crossfit. I guess some of the principles could be mentioned in the context that you have skills that allow you to do well under pressure in situations where an unfamiliar project is assigned, but I wouldn't really relate it to working out. I would think a majority of people might not really understand what you mean and think to themselves "how is working out at a gym relevant".

I probably would also never talk about "specializing in not specializing". Potential employers want to hear that you have some specific set of skills that set you apart from other candidates and that typically means you have a specialty in something. Again, just my opinion but if I were an interviewer and I heard from a candidate, "well I consider myself a jack of all trades, generally good at everything, but not the best in one thing", I would ding you right then and there.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
Clint Harris

Profile:
Re: Mentioning CrossFit in the interview process

Lookup versatilist and see if that fits what you're going for. It may be more apt to use/define yourself as rather than trying to explain nonsense Much more succinct.