CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2014, 06:44 PM   #1
Michael DeMeo
Member Michael DeMeo is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: New Hyde Park  NY
Posts: 8
Crossfit and the NFL Combine

Now that the Super Bowl is over, the attention of the NFL and football fans turns to the NFL Combine for college players. After watching teams evaluate college players through a series of drills in past Combines, I was thinking what the Combine would be like if they replaced some of these “tests” with a Crossfit WOD or two.

For example, they can replace the standard bench press test with, say, a Tabata Thruster WOD. For linemen, they could use 180# or 200#, and 135# or 150# for all others. This type of drill would sort of simulate/activate the energy systems used during a four down series/possession in a game, and would really test the players.

I guess if Reebok was still a sponsor of the NFL or you left it up to a Crossfiting NFL coach like Sean Payton, you would see a lot more CrossFit-type of tests happening at the Combine.

If Crossfit was included in the NFL Combine, what type of WOD should be used? What do you think?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:53 PM   #2
Jeff Enge
Banned Jeff Enge is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Collinsville  IL
Posts: 5,542
Re: Crossfit and the NFL Combine

Honestly I don't think that would make much sense. The Combine is to seperate the different skills that encompass football athleticism. CrossFit WODs are for the most part supposed to be designed to put those skills back together. If the NFL brass wanted to see that, they'd be better served watching college game tape.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #3
Josh Groves
Member Josh Groves is offline
 
Josh Groves's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: The Woodlands  TX
Posts: 134
Re: Crossfit and the NFL Combine

I agree there's no real point. The combine tests specific, easily measurable differences between players. The way they perform through multiple down scenarios and overall athleticism are available from game tapes and player statistics already.

Now, if you want to talk about Tony Budding's new venture and that combine, that could be some fun speculation.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:00 PM   #4
Lance Neumeyer
Member Lance Neumeyer is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Oceanside  CA
Posts: 216
Re: Crossfit and the NFL Combine

I'd like to see it, but just so I'd be able to compare my times to theirs.

I'd also like to see the Games have a combine WOD like they did at the OCT this year.
__________________
42; 5'10 190
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:46 PM   #5
Chuck Golden
Member Chuck Golden is offline
 
Chuck Golden's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Fort Worth  TX
Posts: 221
Re: Crossfit and the NFL Combine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael DeMeo View Post
For example, they can replace the standard bench press test with, say, a Tabata Thruster WOD. For linemen, they could use 180# or 200#, and 135# or 150# for all others. This type of drill would sort of simulate/activate the energy systems used during a four down series/possession in a game, and would really test the players.

?
I don't think Tabata anything would simulate a game. Maybe something more like 15 seconds on, 45 seconds off.
__________________
Worry leaves when faith arrives My BtWB
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:39 AM   #6
Michael DeMeo
Member Michael DeMeo is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: New Hyde Park  NY
Posts: 8
Re: Crossfit and the NFL Combine

On the Cool-Down Show following yesterday's 14.3 Workout, it was interesting how Saints Coach Sean Payton talked about how he and his coaches use a Crossfit-type workout (Power Snatches/Air Squats/Burpees/Shuttle Sprints) to measure his team's conditioning.

He discussed how the weight is scaled depending on the player's positions, and how if a player doesn't meet a certain standard during that workout, they know that they need to program more conditioning for that player.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:35 AM   #7
Luke Sirakos
Member Luke Sirakos is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dallas  TX
Posts: 858
Re: Crossfit and the NFL Combine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael DeMeo View Post
On the Cool-Down Show following yesterday's 14.3 Workout, it was interesting how Saints Coach Sean Payton talked about how he and his coaches use a Crossfit-type workout (Power Snatches/Air Squats/Burpees/Shuttle Sprints) to measure his team's conditioning.

He discussed how the weight is scaled depending on the player's positions, and how if a player doesn't meet a certain standard during that workout, they know that they need to program more conditioning for that player.
That is nothing new, that type of thing has been around in football well before crossfit.
__________________
Deadlift: 475 | Back Squat: 405 | Front Squat: 320
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:02 AM   #8
Steven Nedorolik
Member Steven Nedorolik is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Colorado Springs  CO
Posts: 348
Re: Crossfit and the NFL Combine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Neumeyer View Post
I'd like to see it, but just so I'd be able to compare my times to theirs.

I'd also like to see the Games have a combine WOD like they did at the OCT this year.
I was thinking this too. it would be interesting to see it in the Games. If nothing else, it would spark some discussion from non Crossfit folks
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Programming to combine crossfit and training for Nijmegen Johan Dahlbäck Fitness 0 04-03-2013 08:41 AM
How to combine westside with crossfit? Kenneth Lim Fitness 18 11-11-2011 09:27 PM
So Crossfit Football Combine.... Jason R O'Dell Competitions 35 01-17-2011 06:00 PM
need advice about how to combine crossfit with muay thai training... Jaime Luengo Starting 12 11-30-2008 11:02 PM
CrossFit Combine? Rory P. Duane Competitions 7 03-28-2006 01:53 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.