CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 02-07-2014, 06:44 PM   #1
Michael DeMeo

Profile:
Crossfit and the NFL Combine

Now that the Super Bowl is over, the attention of the NFL and football fans turns to the NFL Combine for college players. After watching teams evaluate college players through a series of drills in past Combines, I was thinking what the Combine would be like if they replaced some of these “tests” with a Crossfit WOD or two.

For example, they can replace the standard bench press test with, say, a Tabata Thruster WOD. For linemen, they could use 180# or 200#, and 135# or 150# for all others. This type of drill would sort of simulate/activate the energy systems used during a four down series/possession in a game, and would really test the players.

I guess if Reebok was still a sponsor of the NFL or you left it up to a Crossfiting NFL coach like Sean Payton, you would see a lot more CrossFit-type of tests happening at the Combine.

If Crossfit was included in the NFL Combine, what type of WOD should be used? What do you think?
Old 02-07-2014, 06:53 PM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: Crossfit and the NFL Combine

Honestly I don't think that would make much sense. The Combine is to seperate the different skills that encompass football athleticism. CrossFit WODs are for the most part supposed to be designed to put those skills back together. If the NFL brass wanted to see that, they'd be better served watching college game tape.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #3
Josh Groves

Profile:

I agree there's no real point. The combine tests specific, easily measurable differences between players. The way they perform through multiple down scenarios and overall athleticism are available from game tapes and player statistics already.

Now, if you want to talk about Tony Budding's new venture and that combine, that could be some fun speculation.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:00 PM   #4
Lance Neumeyer

Profile:

I'd like to see it, but just so I'd be able to compare my times to theirs.

I'd also like to see the Games have a combine WOD like they did at the OCT this year.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:46 PM   #5
Chuck Golden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael DeMeo View Post
For example, they can replace the standard bench press test with, say, a Tabata Thruster WOD. For linemen, they could use 180# or 200#, and 135# or 150# for all others. This type of drill would sort of simulate/activate the energy systems used during a four down series/possession in a game, and would really test the players.

?
I don't think Tabata anything would simulate a game. Maybe something more like 15 seconds on, 45 seconds off.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:39 AM   #6
Michael DeMeo

Profile:

On the Cool-Down Show following yesterday's 14.3 Workout, it was interesting how Saints Coach Sean Payton talked about how he and his coaches use a Crossfit-type workout (Power Snatches/Air Squats/Burpees/Shuttle Sprints) to measure his team's conditioning.

He discussed how the weight is scaled depending on the player's positions, and how if a player doesn't meet a certain standard during that workout, they know that they need to program more conditioning for that player.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:35 AM   #7
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael DeMeo View Post
On the Cool-Down Show following yesterday's 14.3 Workout, it was interesting how Saints Coach Sean Payton talked about how he and his coaches use a Crossfit-type workout (Power Snatches/Air Squats/Burpees/Shuttle Sprints) to measure his team's conditioning.

He discussed how the weight is scaled depending on the player's positions, and how if a player doesn't meet a certain standard during that workout, they know that they need to program more conditioning for that player.
That is nothing new, that type of thing has been around in football well before crossfit.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:02 AM   #8
Steven Nedorolik

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Neumeyer View Post
I'd like to see it, but just so I'd be able to compare my times to theirs.

I'd also like to see the Games have a combine WOD like they did at the OCT this year.
I was thinking this too. it would be interesting to see it in the Games. If nothing else, it would spark some discussion from non Crossfit folks