CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 07-18-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
Paul Beuttenmuller

Profile:
Front squat: hunched over and dropped elbows

So here we go again.... Did front squats today and never realized my tendency to immediately fall forward and round my back. I'm pretty sure this is a mobility issue... And I also tend to drop my elbows big time.

Here's the video: http://youtu.be/-jEwX39_9qM

Anyone know of some good mobility for these awful tendencies? I did some searching for thoracic spine and that was good, but any other advice would be much appreciated. Thanks, all!
Old 07-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: Front squat: hunched over and dropped elbows

Post your technique at lower weights. Put 115-135 on there and show it.

Personally, it doesn't look to me like you are strong enough for whatever weight that is. Your depth is suspect, the weight is (as you say) pulling you forward, and your elbows are dropping.

If this is just mobility-related, you should have those same issues at lower weight. If you can do an excellent front squat at low weights, your problem isn't mobility; it's strength.

- Mark
Old 07-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
Paul Beuttenmuller

Profile:

Mark,

Thanks for the reply and recommendation. Here's a side shot of a lighter weight at 5 reps... Still have the same issue though with the back and elbows...

This is at 135, the other was at 165...

http://youtu.be/YEbYuRe2BBw

I do also have a view from the front with a set at 155 if that'd be helpful at all, but ya can't really see the hunched over issue in that one.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
Steve Collegio

Profile:

you need to focus on sitting DOWN between your legs, not back and down. this is why you are being pulled forward i believe. big chest, deep breathe and brace your abdomen to keep you upright.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Collegio View Post
you need to focus on sitting DOWN between your legs, not back and down. this is why you are being pulled forward i believe. big chest, deep breathe and brace your abdomen to keep you upright.

I don't think it's a mobility issue,this is the problem. You're initiating the lift at the waist (your torso leans forward before your knees bend) and so your first movement is now throwing the entire lift off. This isn't a LBBS or box squat. Your torso should remain as vertical as possible. Like Steve said, focus on keeping your chest up and torso tight, once you're feeling ready DO NOT bend at the waist and just drop straight down initiating the lift from the knees.

On a side note, how tall are you? I don't know if it's the white socks or what but I've watched a couple other videos you've posted and it looks like you've got longer than average lower legs? As someone with shorter than average appendages I don't know if this would put you at a mechanical disadvantage for certain lifts(I'm assuming it would). But if so, it may be worth looking into specific stretching/mobility if that's the case. Good Luck.

Last edited by Dustin Wintczak : 07-18-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
Paul Beuttenmuller

Profile:

I cannot believe how amazingly simple that seems to be. It makes perfect sense and I feel like an idiot for not seeing it! My butt starts to shoot out immediately, and it's causing me to begin leaning forward before I even squat down...

You guys are awesome. Thanks!
Old 07-18-2012, 05:31 PM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Yeah, in a front squat, the knees break forward as the hips go backward. I know during a FS or goblet squat it basically just feels like you bend your knees go A2A.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:55 PM   #8
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

I would practice no-hands front squats for a while. That will cure you of the forward lean as it's self-correcting. If you lean, the bar falls to the ground.

Also you have some gnarly kyphosis in your T-spine, as you seemed to have figured out. The problem is not so much that it rounds off during the lift; the problem is that it's rounded even when you're not lifting. It actually doesn't round much more when you add weight. You certainly do need to spend some time with a roller and double-lacross balls loosening that up.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #9
Carl N Cobb

Profile:

Get them elbows up a bit more if you can man.. My wrist would be screaming if i Front Squatted with my elbows that low, try to only place the first 2 fingers on the bar and only have it on the fingertips.. This helps me get my elbows up alot and have no wrist pain what so ever, dont know if it bothers your wrist but it looks like it would after awhile or a few reps lol.

I seen a video of Rich Froning doing Front Squats like this and it helped me out alot.

CJ