CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-24-2011, 09:47 AM   #101
Will Feber

Profile:
Re: Gslp

Makes sense.. But then again, you could also just have a bad day (not enough sleep, food, bad form, etc) and everything could be fine on the 2nd attempt.. Thats one of the reasons why SS gives you 3 attempts, I think..

I guess in the end it's best to treat it on a case-by-case basis and see if you are really stuck or just had a bad day.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:31 PM   #102
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Feber View Post
Makes sense.. But then again, you could also just have a bad day (not enough sleep, food, bad form, etc) and everything could be fine on the 2nd attempt.. Thats one of the reasons why SS gives you 3 attempts, I think..

I guess in the end it's best to treat it on a case-by-case basis and see if you are really stuck or just had a bad day.
I generally agree with what James was saying, but will allow 1 redo if the lifter thinks he just really had an off day (it happens). I don't think anyone would have a problem with this approach. But just ONE redo.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:08 AM   #103
Will Feber

Profile:

Thanks!

So after a reset, normal increments, not bigger ones like in SS are used? I'm just asking because it seems like it will take a while to get back to the weight where I failed. For example if I would reset my bp now, it would take me 5 or 6 weeks, to get back. I know there is the max rep set, but that's only 1 out of 3 sets. In the end there is some slowdown of gains.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:18 AM   #104
Quinn Walkley

Profile:

It may take that long, but you will be amazed to see your reps go up on those max rep sets.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:34 AM   #105
Michael Bullock

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Feber View Post
Thanks!

So after a reset, normal increments, not bigger ones like in SS are used? I'm just asking because it seems like it will take a while to get back to the weight where I failed. For example if I would reset my bp now, it would take me 5 or 6 weeks, to get back. I know there is the max rep set, but that's only 1 out of 3 sets. In the end there is some slowdown of gains.
You're only cutting 10%, it shouldn't take 5 or 6 weeks considering every other week you would be hitting your bp twice....
Old 10-26-2011, 06:15 PM   #106
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bullock View Post
You're only cutting 10%, it shouldn't take 5 or 6 weeks considering every other week you would be hitting your bp twice....
Program prescribes 2.5 lb jumps. If you fail at 200 lbs that is a 20 lb drop.

1.5 workouts/week x 5 weeks x 2.5 lbs = 18.75 lbs. So yeah, 5 or 6 weeks.

If you reset and are getting like 15 reps on your last bench or press set you may want to do a couple of bigger jumps as that is getting higher than you want for rep range for ideal effectiveness. But if you reset and you get like 8 reps, then the weight is just fine as you will still be getting quality work in. It will probably be better to keep up smaller jumps. It's not as heavy as before but still quality work that will help you get stronger.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:25 PM   #107
Michael Bullock

Profile:

Bumping an older thread but thought I would add in my progress thus far on GSLP
Started 4 months ago. Vacation's and work kept me from doing every workout every week but I got probably 95% of them in. Only reset the press so far

Press 105 to 122.5 (Stalled on 127.5 but could have prolly gotten 125)
Squat 240 to 275
Bench 160 to 192.5
Deadlift 285 to 300 (Was suprised I didn't get more here)

I'm going to stay on GSLP until the spring and then maybe switch to West Side for Athletes. Will be adding more cardio/met-con once spring hits. I've felt like that has slipped somewhat with only 2 met-cons a week and 1 of those after a strength workout.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:52 PM   #108
Travis Rask

Profile:

Quote:
Started 4 months ago. Vacation's and work kept me from doing every workout every week but I got probably 95% of them in. Only reset the press so far

Squat 240 to 275
Bench 160 to 192.5

I'm going to stay on GSLP until the spring and then maybe switch to West Side for Athletes. Will be adding more cardio/met-con once spring hits. I've felt like that has slipped somewhat with only 2 met-cons a week and 1 of those after a strength workout.
Have you tried any of the Villain challenges yet? VC1 (100 burpees) would ramp up your conditioning pretty quick.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:01 PM   #109
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

Quote:

Squat 240 to 275
Bench 160 to 192.5

In 4 months, why have your lifts made such small gains? Squats should be jumping 10lbs a week, DL 10-15lbs a week and press/ bench 2.5-5lbs a week... That doesn't seem to add up. I understand there's a 5 week or so ramp up period, but it looks like you've been missing more workouts, or making smaller jumps.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:08 AM   #110
Michael Bullock

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Rask View Post
Have you tried any of the Villain challenges yet? VC1 (100 burpees) would ramp up your conditioning pretty quick.
I did for the first few weeks but haven't since. I'll try it again and see how it goes. How many times a week do you normally do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Nakashima View Post
In 4 months, why have your lifts made such small gains? Squats should be jumping 10lbs a week, DL 10-15lbs a week and press/ bench 2.5-5lbs a week... That doesn't seem to add up. I understand there's a 5 week or so ramp up period, but it looks like you've been missing more workouts, or making smaller jumps.
I didn't make it clear in my post but those are my 1RM jumps.