CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-10-2008, 11:35 PM   #1
Alex Coots

Profile:
Neck pain after handstands

Title pretty much says it all. After the inverted burpees, I got this pain on a particular vertebrate in my neck. Hurts when I roll my shoulders back or bend my neck down. Side to side movement is ok.

As for future form... I generally try to look at the floor once I'm in a handstand position. Should I be worried about this pain? Should my head be oriented differently once in handstand?
Old 11-11-2008, 10:20 AM   #2
Bryan Gates

Profile:
Re: Neck pain after handstands

Did you fall on your head?
Old 11-11-2008, 11:10 AM   #3
Melissa Urban

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Coots View Post
As for future form... I generally try to look at the floor once I'm in a handstand position. Should I be worried about this pain? Should my head be oriented differently once in handstand?
Based on my training with Tucker and the recent gymnastics cert... you want your head to be in a neutral position. If you're really looking straight down at the floor, your neck must be cranked way back like in the first picture. I mean, this just looks like it hurts. Although I love her leg warmers.

Try putting your ears directly between your shoulders, and look straight BACK towards the opposite wall. (Neutral neck position.) From there, look slightly down towards your hands, so that you can see them in your peripheral vision. That's where I'm looking in a handstand.

I'm not a handstand expert by any means, but this was taken when I was training with Tucker, so he made sure I was doing it right. Neutral head, looking slightly towards my hands.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	handstand-at-the-wall.jpg
Views:	9578
Size:	313.5 KB
ID:	2877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Handstand.jpg
Views:	842
Size:	354.0 KB
ID:	2878  

Last edited by Melissa Urban; 11-11-2008 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: Just noticed the leg warmers. Hot.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:29 PM   #4
Alex Coots

Profile:

I'll have to try the neutral position the next time I'm in a hand stand; it looks a lot more comfortable. Hope it works!

Also, thankfully, I've never fallen on my head from a handstand. I just hope the pain goes away before then!

Thanks guys
Old 11-11-2008, 04:57 PM   #5
Jeff R Tucker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Coots View Post
I'll have to try the neutral position the next time I'm in a hand stand; it looks a lot more comfortable. Hope it works!

Also, thankfully, I've never fallen on my head from a handstand. I just hope the pain goes away before then!

Thanks guys
you may have also made contact with it while throwing your ground based kip from the prone position - many will do that and after repeated numbers and or attempts and that may be a culprit as well.

nuetral position as well touching the top of your head for the HSPU. so when your doing the HSPU we say touch the top of your head if not on a set of blocks or paralettes. but your gonna fire up your traps, delts, and scaps doing this stuff.

take care of that kneck! and get it looked at if you start to get some serious complications.

best of luck,

tucker