CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 05-13-2009, 12:27 AM   #1
Scott Moore.

Profile:
"Emptying the cup"

Nan-in said: "Like this cup, you are full of your own opinions and speculations. How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup?"

I'm on my second go around with Crossfit and it's been over a month. It's the longest I've been on a single workout program. And there's no sign of it dying on me.

I have a love/hate relationship with Crossfit. I don't hate the workouts, I hate how weak and lazy I feel because the workouts are so hard. I hate how my mind and body constantly try to convince me to take it easy and to give up. I hate how I feel like I've wasted my time with other lifting programs and fitness ideas.

But those things are exactly why I love crossfit as well. Because Crossfit breaks you down to your lowest level and shows you just what you can accomplish at that level. Other programs didn't work for me because they never truely challenged me. Even whlie trying to lift heavy weights, they didn't challenge me to learn something more about myself.

To me, Crossfit is more than just a killer workout program. It's a journey of self-discovery. Through the suffering of the WODs and struggling through heavy lifts I learn more about myself. Most people are turned off by Crossfit (admittedly I was at first) because they think that they can't do it.
When you let go of that thought and you actually try you find that indeed you CAN do it. And that pushes you to go further and see how you can do.

I don't have a great accomplishment to announce YET nor do I have a great weight loss story. My testimony is about how crossfit has forced me to empthy the cup on what I thought I know about working out/strength/fitness and how much I'm learning about myself in the process. Nor have I looked so foward to learning more.

Prior to Crossfit I never:
Did pull-ups, thrusters, C&J, Burpees (reguarly),
Found out what my max weight is on Bench, Deadlift, Back Squat and Shoulder Press

I can't wait to see what else I learn...
http://pantherfit.blogspot.com/And those who had seen it told how he who had been possessed with demons was healed -Luke 8:36

Last edited by Scott Moore. : 05-13-2009 at 12:36 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:36 AM   #2
Mat Frankel

Profile:
Re: "Emptying the cup"

Scott
Emptying the cup...that's an awesome analogy and proverb. CrossFit really is humbling and makes us leave our egos at the door when we are about to start the clock on a WOD.
You might not have any crazy stories right now, but im sure that soon enough you will and it will be awesome for you and for us to hear them.
Keep pushing and keeping that cup empty.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:01 PM   #3
Jason M Struck

Profile:

My favorite, as it has many meanings to me and my friends that fight is this one from Joshu;

A young man came to the monastery to study under Joshu. When he arrived, he said "Joshu; I am here to study Zen." to which Joshu replied "Good. Have you eaten yet?" and the young monk answered "Yes, I have" to which Joshu replied

"well then, you had better wash your bowl"
Old 05-22-2009, 09:11 AM   #4
Luke Gaylor

Profile:

Scott - This is so true. I have just started Crossfit and this is a perfect way to communicate everything that I have been feeling, physically and mentally in the last week!

LOVE CF!

Luke
I pay for Pain!
Work hard and become a leader; be lazy and become a slave. Proverbs 12:24
Old 05-27-2009, 01:21 PM   #5
Joshua Murphy

Profile:

welcome back scott...sometimes starting again is the best part...

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)

Last edited by Joshua Murphy : 05-28-2009 at 06:38 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:50 PM   #6
Bill Houghton

Profile:

Scott,

I have a collection of CrossFit quotes that motivate and inspire me. I read them in the morning and pre workout to inspire me. Your post has made it into my collection in its entirety. You put into words what I feel.

Thanks man.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:46 AM   #7
Scott Moore.

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
Scott,

I have a collection of CrossFit quotes that motivate and inspire me. I read them in the morning and pre workout to inspire me. Your post has made it into my collection in its entirety. You put into words what I feel.

Thanks man.
Now THAT motivates me...thank you.
http://pantherfit.blogspot.com/And those who had seen it told how he who had been possessed with demons was healed -Luke 8:36
Old 05-28-2009, 07:23 PM   #8
Sydney Everhart

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Moore View Post
I don't hate the workouts, I hate how weak and lazy I feel because the workouts are so hard. I hate how my mind and body constantly try to convince me to take it easy and to give up.

...Crossfit breaks you down to your lowest level and shows you just what you can accomplish at that level. Other programs didn't work for me because they never truely challenged me. Even whlie trying to lift heavy weights, they didn't challenge me to learn something more about myself.
Amen to that. Rock on.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:07 AM   #9
Tim Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Moore View Post
I don't hate the workouts, I hate how weak and lazy I feel because the workouts are so hard. I hate how my mind and body constantly try to convince me to take it easy and to give up. I hate how I feel like I've wasted my time with other lifting programs and fitness ideas.

That's awesome! I use this when I'm working out, telling myself I am paying for being so d#@n lazy (and getting fat) with the pain I am currently feeling.