CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 01-14-2009, 09:53 AM   #1
Frank Dennis

Profile:
1 Month (and a bit)... How Am I Doing?

OK, I've been at CF for a minute for a bit. Last night, I re-did the baseline workout the coach at my affiliate had be go through on my first day. This is copied from my workout log:

500m row (don't have the exact time, but I think it was under 1m30s)
40 BW squats - 1 set
20 push-ups - 15-3-2 (5-7 seconds rest)
30 sit-ups - 1 set
10 pull-ups - 3-3-2-2 ( last three sets w/ 10lbs assist. band, 5-7 seconds rest)

The push-ups and pull-ups were broken up because I couldn't do another, but I didn't list them as "failed" because I completed the listed number of reps with proper form (not sure what the convention is for the "fail" notation on here). Also, I forgot to get the total time from the trainer.

That was my first CrossFit session, a month and change ago. The time, I've found out since, was 10:42. Also, my estimation on that 500m row time was way off... it was more like 2:00 and change.

Today, because we had a new person starting, I did that again. This time, did everything in pretty unbroken sets, just stopping for a few breaths here and there. Also, no assistance bands for the pull-ups.

My time was 7:47.

Now, that's three minutes under my first time.

I honestly thought, going into this again, that I'd be able to hit ~5 minutes. I was actually shooting for ~4. I went as hard on the rower as I could; I actually beat my time from last week on the 500m row by a couple seconds. I lost the most amount of time on the squats (because I'd just blasted my quads) and the push-ups (because of Monday's DB push presses). At the time, I thought I was gonna die, looking back I'm wondering if I could have pushed harder.

It was especially grating that New Guy (who is one of the guys I train MMA with, and whom I can toss around the mat pretty much at will) beat my baseline time on this by almost 2 minutes...

Guess I'm just looking for opinions; is a three minute improvement on the time for a workout like this great for a month? Above average? OK? Crap? Am I just being a whiny ?

Thanks,
Frank
Old 01-14-2009, 10:05 AM   #2
Michael Houghton

Profile:
Re: 1 Month (and a bit)... How Am I Doing?

1 Month and 3 minute improvement? Pretty damn good. I'd just keep at it, and remember that you are competing against yourself, not someone else. Just because tons of people can beat me on pull ups does not mean they can beat me on deadlift. You will find workouts that you smoke everyone, and others that everyone, even the tiny women smoke you on. Great job, keep up the good work!
Old 01-14-2009, 10:22 AM   #3
Dave Matteson

Profile:

I'd say a 30% improvement in one month is excellent. I'm at the point where a 2% improvement is awesome. Keep it up!
Old 01-14-2009, 11:32 AM   #4
Brian Bedell

Profile:

I think that is obviously great improvement, but I also think you are being a bit of a whiny...

And I only say that b/c who really cares if WE thinks it's good. Obviously a new PR is always good. I would have liked your post better if it said "I just crushed my baseline workout after only a month+, woo hoo!" That's totally legit here inthe testimonial section. Congrats.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
Frank Dennis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
I think that is obviously great improvement, but I also think you are being a bit of a whiny...

And I only say that b/c who really cares if WE thinks it's good. Obviously a new PR is always good. I would have liked your post better if it said "I just crushed my baseline workout after only a month+, woo hoo!" That's totally legit here inthe testimonial section. Congrats.
LOL Well, I didn't think I'd "crushed it," man, that was the point of the post. I still think I might've been able to shave a bit more time off, but I've never been the best judge of my own progress curve, in anything; I'm tenacious and I work hard, but I'm also competitive, self-critical, and (yeah, I'll admit it ) a bit arrogant, so I always feel like I should be capable of doing better than I am in pretty much any endeavor, which of course is not always true. So, every now and then, I seek outside opinion as a reality check. I already had it, from my coach, whom I do trust, he's great, but sometimes additional opinions help a bit.

But, since I apparently did crush my baseline after only a month, Woo Hoo!

I really appreciate your guys' kind words, I feel much better about that time now. I love CF and plan to stick with it for life. In my second week, I did "Fight Gone Bad," I scored a 200. The other guys in my weight/age range at the affiliate scored ~210 (yeah, I know... being competitive again. Can't help it. ). My 3 month goal, which would be March 17th, is to score 250 on FGB. I was going to make it 300, but my coach said 250 was probably a more realistic goal.

But, of course, I'm really still shooting for 300. The difference is, this time, if I don't hit 300 I'm not gonna wonder whether that improvement is acceptable.

I mean, as long as I actually make 250. LOL

Cheers,
Frank
Old 01-14-2009, 03:37 PM   #6
Tom Woodward

Profile:

Frank, you're doing great. Props on setting up a log right away. That was my first mistake. Once I got my act together and started tracking my workouts, PR'ing every time you go out there becomes the ultimate goal, whether it's by a second or five minutes. We know the WOD the night before at our affiliate, so it always jacks me up to go back in my log and check the last entry to see how I can improve and the time I have to beat. As long as you're going hard and posting PR's, you're moving in the right direction.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:08 AM   #7
Gabriel desGarennes

Profile:

Frank, you're doing great.

Brian, you have a knack for calling people out dontcha :-)
Old 01-15-2009, 11:59 AM   #8
Brian Bedell

Profile:

LOL, thanks Gabrielle (i think!). Not sure if it's a "knack," but I definetely don't mind doing it. Hopefully either in a polite, informativce, and/or humorous way. Not always successful, and I def. have bad days like everyone else, but I try.

Mainly just bored at work lately!

Happy CF'ing!
Old 01-15-2009, 12:24 PM   #9
Gabriel desGarennes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
Gabrielle (i think!).
Oh snap... MY name is spelled correctly to the left, and there is clearly a male in the picture. Brianna
Old 01-15-2009, 01:54 PM   #10
Brian Bedell

Profile:

lol, sorry!