CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 05-05-2005, 09:40 AM   #1
Jon Michael Varese

Profile:

Hi all, I have a great story to share.

This past weekend I was at a big family event in FL. There was an uncle there who I haven't seen for awhile (maybe 2 years). I was wearing a t-shirt, and when he first sees me he says, very seriously "God you've gotten big -- you must be doing steroids!" I shake my head and say no, and he says, "I don't believe you." Then another family member, a cousin, comes over and says, "You are using steroids, aren't you." I say no. They say, "Then where did all that come from?" at which point I admitted to them that I am in fact using steroids -- natural steroids -- the kind that can only be purchased with hard work at Crossfit.

I am actually not that big (at least I don't think so). What I think has happened is that 1) everything is starting to fall into proportion more as a result of my workouts, 2) I am leaner because of the zone, and 3) I have gained some muscle in some areas as a result of new exercises and shocks to my body (handstands and rope climbs, for example, which I had never done before Crossfit).

So then my uncle, and all of my cousins wanted to know about "this Crossfit." I held their attention for about an hour, explaining our philosophies, dietary habits, and routines. Everyone was very interested -- I think we may have a few new converts! I am always a little reluctant to talk about the "failure" of isolation exercises and machines because SO MANY people (including most of my cousins) are absolutely wedded to them. But they were receptive, and when I went into a handstand for them (against the wall) they were quite impressed.

So this is great -- thanks to all my trainers at CFHQ, especially Lani Lau, who kicks my butt!
Old 05-06-2005, 06:40 AM   #2
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
I get the steroids thing sometimes from people, it really annoys me because to them it's inconceivable that hard work could produce results, so they employ a sour-grapes type of rationalization to the situation.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:36 AM   #3
Graham Hayes

Profile:
People have asked me if I do drugs, when I say no they say "oh, is that because you get tested?"...sigh...apparently saying "meat" when asked what protien you take isn't funny, live and learn...I think many people have such low aspirations for themselves they find it hard to believe that anyone could be successful without drugs/supplements/etc.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:37 AM   #4
Jon Michael Varese

Profile:

I think it's interesting that you both point out the "sour grapes" or "low aspirations" aspect of this topic. I am not discounting what you say at all -- I think you're both right on -- but I have to say that my cousins are not these types of people. I think the example of my family illustrates more a lack of education, a simple dearth of knowledge for the "truth" that we have all seen in our results. It also illustrates (my family being a great barometer) just how widespread are the wrong and misleading notions about health and fitness in our culture.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:13 AM   #5
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
CrossFitters are CrossFit's best advertisements.

Good story, Jon.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:35 PM   #6
Michael Keller

Profile:
Great story!! I get the same thing and I guess it's because our society has gotten so used to taking the easy way on everything, and taking a pill to fix what ails them. It never enters their minds about what a little hard work and effort can do.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:28 PM   #7
Michael Pearce

Profile:
All of my friends and family call me a walking billboard for Crossfit. I don't know how many people have started Crossfit because of seeing how much it has changed me.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:38 PM   #8
Brendan Melville

Profile:
"Everybody wants to know what I'm on. What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my *** six hours a day. What are you on?" -Lance Armstrong
Old 05-23-2005, 06:49 PM   #9
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Rock on Lance.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:33 AM   #10
Mike Ryan

Profile:
Great quote, Brendan!