CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 11-01-2006, 10:18 AM   #1
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Halloween eating extravaganza

I have been eating paleo/moderate carb <=80g/day for quite a while now with very few lapses, but this Halloween weekend decided to conduct an experiment aka (decided to rationalize binging as an under the guise of an experiment). The next day I had extreme joint soreness like I had arthritis in all my joints all the old injury spots plus fingers and wrists places where I never get joint pain. I then got sick with sinus/throat stuff and am still sick. Obviously this was a direct result of the cookies, chocolate, cupcakes, pizza… , but I would like to understand what actually happened not on a cellular level but not a “cookies bad” explanation either. Anybody?
Old 11-01-2006, 11:33 AM   #2
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
I would guess it was the result of a weakened immune response due to high blood sugar. Glucose and vitamin C compete for the same metabolic pathway. The chances are that the blood sugar spike halted vitamin c uptake, weakening the immune system and making you more vulnerable to illness. Pure speculation, but a valid theory at least.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:37 AM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
sugar = inflammation
excessive grains = gut intolerances
unhealthy gut = lowered immune

and yes...Cookies Bad. I have the same issues after a night of too many Guiness...:banana:
Old 11-01-2006, 12:19 PM   #4
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
Any type of grain/dairy products dramatically icreases inflammation in my body to the point that I also experience joint-pain and flu like symptoms. Nasty stuff!
Old 11-01-2006, 12:23 PM   #5
Kevin Perry

Profile:
i stay away completely from dairy or try to at least. Same with grains. I just get too sick.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:29 PM   #6
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Since I cleaned up my diet, I feel sick to my stomach whenever I eat a piece of pie. Wheat, even as little as a half a bagel, makes me really really depressed. Chocolate just gives me that nice buzzy low blood sugar feeling. I'm tinkering around to see how much I can eat without it having a negative effect.

"Odd to be so governed by an appetite." -Jeanette Winterson (not a nutritionist, but a good writer)
Old 11-01-2006, 03:10 PM   #7
Ted Williams

Profile:
My brother (not blood brother) and his wife were over with their newborn this weekend. We wanted to take them out to our favorite restaurant in town, but they changed their hours and are no longer open on Sundays (argh!...best food, just about all local and organic, tasy...)...anyhow, we ended up going to our local brewery and getting an early dinner.

My bro ordered a beer, so I figured what the heck. I haven't had a beer in about 4 months, and haven't had it on any regular basis since last New Years....I have cider just about every weekend. I also ordered salmon fish and chips...

Let's just say I felt like crap the rest of the day into Monday...I'm pretty sure it was the beer and fries mixed together. I just can't do that crap anymore. Oh, and I had a piece of pie with whipped cream...seriously bad decision.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:29 PM   #8
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
That is why I follow the Jeremy Jones - "Beer of the Day" (BOD) program, to make sure my body is prepared for any alcohol situations that may come up.

It is a totally random, funtional, intense beer drinking at it's best.

Right now I am on something similar to a 2 on, 1 off progression, with competitions on weekends.

Some of my workouts include:

6 beers for time.

1 beer, 1 shot repeated every 5 minutes for as long as I can stand.

Keg stands (mixing BODs and WODs, I call this "cross drinking").

Max effort 40's.

These are just a few examples.

There are other programs (the "One Scotch A Day", "Vodka to the People", etc), but I like the BODs because you can easily mix elements from all programs.

Now remember, most begginers can't handle the BOD as prescribed, so scaling it back may be required until you can handle the full load.

It is also not a good idea to do more than one BOD a day, or without rest days. You will most definately get a visit from Pukie.

:evilsmile:
Old 11-01-2006, 06:10 PM   #9
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
hahahahaha, great post Jeremy!
Old 11-01-2006, 06:34 PM   #10
Jeff Dale

Profile:
:haha: Do you have a certification course I can attend, If so is it BYOB?