CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-18-2007, 12:38 PM   #1
James Lewis

Profile:
I've been hard core on the Paleo Eating plan since 01 Nov. Cleared out the pantry/fridge when we moved and restocked only with Paleo friendly foods...and I have not done much cheating at all...maybe on the average one meal/snack per week outside Paleo guidelines. BTW, I refuse to call it the Paleo "diet"; diets imply the wrong thing, as we all know, it is an "eating plan" or better yet a "lifestyle guide". But I digress.

My only heartburn is the cost! Eating Paleo is darn expensive. I went to the grocery the other day, mainly stocking up on fresh fruit/veg for the week...I think I might have bought 1 or 2 othe items, but mostly produces...$90! That lasted about 7-9 days...and that was pretty typical. That doesn't touch the meat/seafood that we buy a lot of for main courses. And as of yet, I'm still shopping at the grocery store for meats...buying higher quality stuff, and grass fed when I can (rarely).

So...for those experienced eaters out there, tips/suggestions for reducing cost while still eating well? I would love to explore buying better beef online etc, but frankly, the cost (to me) is prohibitive. It's very hard to justify $30/lb beef when I can get it for 1/3 or less the cost right down the street. You can argue all you want about defrayed medical bills down the line, but that don't pay the bills now! :happy:

So help me out here gurus of the message boards! I want to continue my healthy ways. Certainly a $4 box of cereal lasts longer than the $4 worth of chicken breasts...but I have to find a happy medium somewhere.

Thanks!
Old 01-18-2007, 02:43 PM   #2
Sean Manseau

Profile:
i don't know if this is an option where you are, james, but trader joe's has helped my paleo habits immeasurably. they've got a great selection of frozen chicken, shrimp, prepackaged roast beef, etc, all relatively cheap. not to mention VERY inexpensive cans of protein powder. i spend about 90 bucks a week on groceries, all inclusive.

the only other recommendation i might make is maybe start eating a lot of tuna (if you're not too worried about mercury poisoning). light tuna (not solid white albacore) seems to be the best value in terms of protein grams to the dollar.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:51 PM   #3
Jason Steele

Profile:
James-

You're in Florida? Plant a couple of raised beds if you have the room, or do one on your deck, and wham-o, vegetables at a fraction of the price.

Isn't gator meat lean?:wink:
Old 01-18-2007, 05:15 PM   #4
Chris Forbis

Profile:
High fat (75% lean) grassfed ground beef for ~$4.10 a pound, delivered (50 pound increments): http://www.grasslandbeef.com/StoreFront.bok

Link w/f safe.

Packs a punch calorically speaking. 1330 calories per pound (114g fat, 72g protein). This stuff provides over half my daily calories (10 pounds a week).
Old 01-18-2007, 09:17 PM   #5
James Lewis

Profile:
Chris:

I'll do some looking around that website to get some pricing. Thanks.

Jason:

I appreciate the thought, but a few raised beds would not cut it for my veggie appetite. Both in variety and quantity...guess I need to find a local farmer's market.

Sean:

Thanks! No Trader Joes around, although I've heard good things about them.

Part of the problem is that the area I live in (West Palm Beach) just has a high Cost of Living. I'm willing to live with that...but also want to find ways to reduce that where possible.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:13 AM   #6
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:
James,

Also try Alder Spring Ranch http://www.alderspring.com/} in Idaho. Lean, organic, grass-fed beef (steaks, ground, roasts, etc). Other than some steaks, most range from about $5 to $8 a pound. Try to eat in season, such as citrus, broccoli, cabbage, etc. this time of year. If you have warehouse stores, looks for bulk frozen berries, fruits, veggies. It may be related to the recent E. Coli contamination, but I'm finding one pound containers of organic lettuce mix at about $3 to $4. If you don't object on humanitarian grounds, factory farmed pork is cheap right now. Although not strictly paleo because of the processing, I eat a lot of canned sardines for the Omega-3's and calcium. Light tuna is good, but avoid the albacore which is high in mercury. Eggs are a cheap, paleo-source of protein. Try to find the Omega-3 enriched kind (a little more expensive than regular eggs, but still only about $0.50 a serving). Shop the sales (usually seasonal produce is cheapest, on sale, and best quality). Farmer's markets aren't always cheaper, but the quality is usually higher in my experience. Buy things that store well (apples, cabbage, carrots, sweet potatoes, etc.) in quantity when on sale. Good luck! I wish I had your resolve, I'm lucky to maintain 80% to 90% paleo (my family is resistant).
Old 01-19-2007, 11:43 AM   #7
Scott Kustes

Profile:
I picked up 2 weeks worth of chicken this past weekend for ~$10. It's bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs, antibiotic and hormone free. I get it at my local grocer and when I catch it about a week or less out of date, it's $.69-.99/lb. I can get breasts, thighs, and legs all on this pricing, depending on which is nearly out of date. This depends on having a large freezer though.

Eat seasonally...squashes go a long way right now.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:50 PM   #8
Justin Algera

Profile:
Man, I would love to come in at $90 a week for groceries...The worst part of moving to NYC 3 years ago was grocery shopping. Its ridiculous. Anyways, maybe shopping at some off road stands and Sam's or Costco? I know meat probably isnt organic or anything, but could save some money.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:22 AM   #9
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
Always go for seasonal fruits and vegetables. There's a huge difference pricewise in eating something that's been flown a 1.000 miles than something thats been grown 1 mile away.

Also fill in with some eggs instead of meat once in a while.

Go for discounts and sales. Sometimes I can get 5 packs of nuts for the same price as 1 when they run a discount. So I buy a big bunch and live of them until the next discount.

'True' paleo is not about eating all the good things every day, but merely eating some good things every day. If you only eat nuts or fruit or meat one day, it's not the end of the world, quite the opposite I think.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:58 AM   #10
James Lewis

Profile:
Gorm:

Thanks for the advice, but I have to disagree with you. I eat all the good things every day all day, not just some good things. That's equivalent to saying that you could put race fuel in the on some days, but on other days it's ok to just use regular fuel. Couldn't disagree more, and I think that after reading the book, Dr. Cordain would agree.

He maintains there are essentially 3 levels of working the diet, 85/15, 90/10 and 95/5 which means that at a minimum, you should be eating 85% paleo friendly. He stresses that the 15% does not give you license to go out and pig out on anything you want either...it requires moderation. Now I'm not making any aspersions to whatever kind of dieting that you do, I'm sure it works for you (just look at your picture!) but for me, I tend to be an all or nothing kind of guy, so I'm on the 95/5 plan.

I AM finding ways, slowly but surely to slightly reduce my costs. Grass fed beef, at this point is just not an option. Neither is free range chicken. At $5.89/lb for free range, versus $3.89/lb for "normal" skinless/boneless breasts...I'll just take my chances with the normal stuff! Same thing for beef...I buy only 93/7 beef (which I did before going on the Paleo plan anyway) but I can't afford to go the grass fed just yet (I'm waiting to hit that lotto!).

Meantime, keep the good advice coming. I'm always learning.