CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #1
James Dixon

Profile:
Prep for a 1rm back squat?

I'm not really sure how to go about preparing for this. Should I stretch and roll my legs out as much as possible? Or should I maybe row or hit the assault bike for 10 minutes and go from there? I've never really set myself up to max back squat. I usually go for it on the fly after the end of my workout. I've only hit 385 but I feel like I could get close to 400. And I'm talking about a full depth squat or ass2grass. I've hit 355 FS and I weight 173. But for some reason FS is so much more comfortable than BS. The 355 felt almost effortless. But when I hit 385 BS I felt overwhelmed. Any ideas or tips?
Old 07-03-2014, 04:03 PM   #2
Matthew S Cooper

Profile:
Re: Prep for a 1rm back squat?

If your front squat is 355lbs, then your theoretical back squat should be over 400lbs. I'd keep back squatting and have someone assess your form to make sure your technique isn't off (or a possible mobility issue rearing its head).

When working up to a 1rm attempt, I start off with just the bar for two sets of 10 (which is my normal routine). I then start doing doubles with gradually heavier weight until I feel my CNS is up to the task. When I feel good and ready, I start doing singles very close to my target weight. If I make a lift, the weight goes up 2.5lbs (I use 1.25lb plates). If I have spotters or a power rack, I keep going until I fail the lift. If I don't have spotters or a cage, well then I don't attempt a 1rm.

It sounds like it takes forever, but it goes by pretty quickly. If you want to set a personal record that day, then make that your focus and don't worry about other things. Rest fully between sets.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:35 PM   #3
Clint Harris

Profile:

You don't want to wear yourself out - so 10 mins on an assault bike or rower might be a bit much, but if it's low intensity what is it buying you ?
You want to prep yourself.
I think rolling and flossing is good. Some additonal strecthing is probably personal preferance - maybe target the hips. Perhaps be a bit more dynamic in the warm up.
I like to do about 1 minute on the rower just to get my heart up. Then will do some box jumps. Not rebound stuff, just a good jump up and land withgood solid form - I might start to jump back down but land in control into a full depth squat.
After (or before) this, I'll probably do some banded walks (sideways, front/back etc).
Then maybe a few pull-ups and push-ups, maybe some inch worms and lunges, to get warmed up and loose, then get under the bar and go.
Working up to 1RM is all personal preference - you need to figure out where that balance is between wearing yourself out and warming up. Also making too big of a jump late and pinning yourself. Do you start at 135 and do a million reps or start at 225 and do a few ? You'll only know by trying.
If you're legitimately trying for a 1RM, then jump your old 1RM by 5-10#. Don't "match" your old PR then try for more - waste of time and energy. If you fail, be happy and leave. If you make it, then really assess how easy or difficult it was - sometimes it's better to leave with a new PR wanting to come back again or wishing you tried for 15# (be hungry for future attempts), than trying the 15# and failing (be unsure about weight in future).

Personally, I like to pause squat 135 a few times, get down there and move around so I can feel if there are niggles (potentially running off to fix them), then I move the bar as fast a possible. From there, for say a 390 target (5# PR) I'd go 135 as above. Then something like 205 for 5, then 255 for 2-3, 305x2, 340x1, 365x1, 380x1, 390x1. It might vary slightly depending on how it is feeling - maybe there's a 325, then 345, 365 type progression. The one rule is that the difference between each subsequent lift is always either the same, or decreasing in weight. (Unless is a sub-maximal warmup). Rarely, if ever will I increase the weight between lifts. Especially when it's heavy or attempting PR. It almost always results in a failed lift and at the very least, leaves me wondering if that was the reason why.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:39 PM   #4
Adam Shreim

Profile:

I sometimes like to do "walk outs" from the rack with a weight that may be 5-10% heavier than your target weight. Hold it for 6-10 seconds and re-rack it.

Then strip the bar to your target 1RM and wait a few minutes, then make the attempt. That way it isn't such a punch to your CNS.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:41 PM   #5
David Meverden

Profile:

It might be good to improve your warmup and buildup, but since you don't have a problem working up to 1RM for other lifts you more so you need to grab a video of your squat and head to the digital coaching part of the board. The real issue is probably part form, part weak glutes and hams (what's your deadlift at?).

If I were your coach I'd have you switch to low bar, ditch the *** to grass, and we'd get you over 400 real fast, but I'm sure all the rabid high bar fan boys will start yelling at me about o-lift carryover
Old 07-03-2014, 09:19 PM   #6
Matthew S Cooper

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
If I were your coach I'd have you switch to low bar, ditch the *** to grass, and we'd get you over 400 real fast, but I'm sure all the rabid high bar fan boys will start yelling at me about o-lift carryover
I'm a fan of high-bar for carry over in sport, so I've never really spent time learning to low bar squat - but there is no denying low bar is the best way to move the most weight. If you want an impressive PR on squats, learn to do it low bar.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:13 AM   #7
Struan Potter

Profile:

Dynamic warm up, then start squatting.

Quote:
You said it.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:45 AM   #8
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
It might be good to improve your warmup and buildup, but since you don't have a problem working up to 1RM for other lifts you more so you need to grab a video of your squat and head to the digital coaching part of the board. The real issue is probably part form, part weak glutes and hams (what's your deadlift at?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew S Cooper View Post
I'm a fan of high-bar for carry over in sport, so I've never really spent time learning to low bar squat - but there is no denying low bar is the best way to move the most weight. If you want an impressive PR on squats, learn to do it low bar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Struan Potter View Post
Dynamic warm up, then start squatting.

You said it.

when I have 1rm squats on tap, this is what my prep looks like.

10x l/r straight leg march
10x l/r toe touches
10x l/r knee hugs
10x l/r lunges
20 pause squats
get under the bar
10 x 45#
5 x 135#
5 x 225#
3 x 275#
3 x 315#
2 x 365#
singles after that - usually
or however strong I'm feeling.

don't over think it - get yourself warmed up, make smart choices on warm up sets/reps and get adequate rest between sets. I tend to get 2-4 minutes between warm-up sets and anywhere from 4-8 minutes between working sets.

Last edited by Sean Dunston; 07-04-2014 at 04:05 AM..
Old 07-05-2014, 03:14 PM   #9
Bryan Hood

Profile:

The following is a quote from one of the best people in the business when it comes to Power Lifting. My warm up sets are similar, more similar now. I will usually row about 750m to warm the body up and get my knees prepped. I've got horrible knees; 2 surgeries on my right knee. Then I roll my glutes and hams to loosen them up with a ball and roller. I hit my Reverse Hyper for 3x20 at about 40% of my Back Squat 1RM. I do that to prime the posterior side. After that, I do the following. Again, this is quoted from one of the best people in the Back Squat biz.

"On a max effort squat or variation, I used to make pretty big jumps. But as a get older, I take my time, without over exerting myself. The most important point to consider when doing max effort is to make sure you get 3 attempts in at, or above, 90%. If I were just doing a 1RM Squat, it would look something like this:
135x8
225x5
315x2
365x1
415x1
465x1
515x1
565x1
605x1
645x1*
675x1*
700x1*"
Old 07-05-2014, 10:54 PM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

After Snatching and/or Cleans and Jerks, I can warm up and hit a single of 90% in probably 10-15 minutes.

Going for a 1r as the first lift generally takes a bit longer. Some of this will depend on your age.

It being summer, it should take less to warmup, especially if your gym is hot. I cheat in a sense because it generally involves me walking or biking to the gym in the first place.

If you're driving, you'll probably want to hop on a rower or jump rope or a short jog. Generally I like getting on the rower if one is around, and then doing a few passes of lunges and some duckwalks. You can also do the banded walks and a lot of people love them. I generally just do air squats instead besides sitting in the bottom and moving around though I do like cossack squats to warm up followed up with some leg swings back and forth and side to side.

For 400#, which is nearly my 1rm, I've been doing:

95x5-10
135x5-8
175x3-5
210 Pretty much singles after this. I used to do more doubles or triples up.

A lot of times with the lower weights or warmups, I'll do bounces or bounce around in the bottom. I almost like doing this rather than reps.