CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 03-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
Beau Davis

Profile:
Please help with my deadlift. Thanks!

This was at the tail end of a 5/3/1 with 345# (a little over 85% of 405#, my 1RM).

It could definitely be better, but could probably be worse, too. Without me getting in to what I think is right and possibly wrong about it, please give me some pointers. I've seen some really good critiques in this forum and any help is appreciated.

If it's that bad, I really don't mind checking my ego and going lighter until I can get my form perfected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmB_lbyElXg (Link is WFS)
Old 03-20-2013, 10:49 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Please help with my deadlift. Thanks!

Looked pretty easy.

Hips shoot up and start too high.

Looks like your arms had a slight bend went you start. I like all slack taken out of the body before your break the ground with the weight.

On the way down your knees got in the way. Get your butt back more and try to get the shins more vertical (if you start more this way it might also help your get your hips lower on the start).

Finally, pack your neck or get your head to at least neutral. Yours is too extended at the start.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:07 PM   #3
Beau Davis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
Looked pretty easy.

Hips shoot up and start too high.

Looks like your arms had a slight bend went you start. I like all slack taken out of the body before your break the ground with the weight.

On the way down your knees got in the way. Get your butt back more and try to get the shins more vertical (if you start more this way it might also help your get your hips lower on the start).

Finally, pack your neck or get your head to at least neutral. Yours is too extended at the start.
Thanks, man. I definitely noticed my head looking forward. I normally don't do that. I'm used to working out at a CF affiliate with no mirrors, so when I lift at my Globo, I'm like, "ooh, shiny mirrors. I can look at myself!"

And I raised my hips at the beginning because that's where and when I feel my hamstrings load/engage. But you're right, every good deadlift video I've seen, the lifter starts in more of a "seated" position. I can lift like that with lighter weight, but as the weight gets heavier, I notice that I start to do more of a stiff-leg type deadlift.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:32 AM   #4
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

To keep those hamstrings loaded but lower, trying geting more of the body back and behind the bar.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:45 AM   #5
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

Why did you do just one? If it was 5/3/1 then the 1 should be 1+.

Also, might wanna try it barefoot or with some different kicks.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
Om Puri

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Davis View Post
...I raised my hips at the beginning because that's where and when I feel my hamstrings load/engage. But you're right, every good deadlift video I've seen, the lifter starts in more of a "seated" position. I can lift like that with lighter weight, but as the weight gets heavier, I notice that I start to do more of a stiff-leg type deadlift.
Not to hijack this thread, but I have the same issue with hips starting a bit high because that's where I feel my hammies are tightest/engaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
To keep those hamstrings loaded but lower, trying geting more of the body back and behind the bar.
Robert, can you explain this a bit more clearly? If I lower my hips & move body back behind the bar then I feel my shoulders/scapula are no longer above the bar, and therefore not in an advantageous position for lifting.
Thanks for your input, as always.

Is this what the DL setup is supposed to look like? WFS
Old 03-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #7
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

If you are an oly lifter and want to build strength for oly stuff, the Picture OMI showed is fine for most people. And even for people with body structure built to deadlift this will be fine.

If you are lanky, longer limbed you might have to get more of your body behind the bar. If you look at the picture, imagine in a lanky person the femurs are going to be relatively longer so that will push the butt up and even with the shoulders and then you'll stiff deadlift. To fix that you'll have to get the shins closer to vertical, get the butt back and let it get down a little so that your butt is not even with the bar.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #8
Beau Davis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Allen Jones View Post
Why did you do just one? If it was 5/3/1 then the 1 should be 1+.

Also, might wanna try it barefoot or with some different kicks.
Maybe I've been ill-informed as to what a 5/3/1 is. I do three sets of 5 @ 70%, 75%, and 80% of my 1RM. Then I do three sets of 3 @ 75%, 80%, and 85%. Finally I do three sets of 1 @ 80%, 85% and 90%.

I have done another version of this that might be closer to a true 5/3/1. I think I only did sets of five and three, though.

It was:
5 @ 70%
5+ @65%
3 @ 75%
3+ @70%

I did this for three rounds and it was full of suck. Should I have added two sets of one there at the end? What percentages should I use?

Is that closer to a true 5/3/1?

:thread hijacked:

Also, I totally agree about the kicks. I love deadlifting barefoot or in my Chucks, but I just bought these and thought I'd see how they felt.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #9
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Davis View Post
Maybe I've been ill-informed as to what a 5/3/1 is. I do three sets of 5 @ 70%, 75%, and 80% of my 1RM. Then I do three sets of 3 @ 75%, 80%, and 85%. Finally I do three sets of 1 @ 80%, 85% and 90%.

I have done another version of this that might be closer to a true 5/3/1. I think I only did sets of five and three, though.

It was:
5 @ 70%
5+ @65%
3 @ 75%
3+ @70%

I did this for three rounds and it was full of suck. Should I have added two sets of one there at the end? What percentages should I use?

Is that closer to a true 5/3/1?

:thread hijacked:

Also, I totally agree about the kicks. I love deadlifting barefoot or in my Chucks, but I just bought these and thought I'd see how they felt.
Gotcha about the shoes, nothing wrong with experimenting a little bit.

But yeah hmm are you doing 3x5, 3x3, and 3x1 all on your 5/3/1 days? That is way too much, or did I read it wrong?

Week 1 should be 65%x5, 75%x5, 85%x5+
Week 2 should be 70%x3, 80%x3, 90%x3+
Week 3 should be 75%x5, 85%x3, 95%x1+
Week 4 is deload, 40%, 50%, 60% all x5

All based off of 90% of your 1RM.

That last set is always a ME set, hence the "+".
Old 03-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #10
Beau Davis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Allen Jones View Post
Gotcha about the shoes, nothing wrong with experimenting a little bit.

But yeah hmm are you doing 3x5, 3x3, and 3x1 all on your 5/3/1 days? That is way too much, or did I read it wrong?

Week 1 should be 65%x5, 75%x5, 85%x5+
Week 2 should be 70%x3, 80%x3, 90%x3+
Week 3 should be 75%x5, 85%x3, 95%x1+
Week 4 is deload, 40%, 50%, 60% all x5

All based off of 90% of your 1RM.

That last set is always a ME set, hence the "+".

No, you read it right. Apparently I've been doing too much. Depending on our WoDs during the day, I would only do this two times per week at night - once for deadlift, once for back squats.

I know this thread is pretty off-topic now, but please let me ask you a question. (Thanks in advance for helping.)

If I do the correct program you listed above, how many times per week should I do it? Once per week for back squat and once for dead? Can I throw a front squat or bench day in there?

And to clarify, each session I only do ONE round of 3x5 (with the percentages you listed above) for the first week, then 3x3 the second, then sets of 5, 3, and 1+ the third week, and de-load the fourth week?

Is that all I do? Three sets with a ME on the last set? Do people maybe do back squat and deadlift on the same day? After doing it the way I've normally been doing it, three sets just doesn't sound like a lot.