CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-16-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
Michael Ferrell

Profile:
Recovering from Back Injury

So over the last 4 months I have had a lot of spare time on my hands and I took a particular interest in CrossFit. On April, 1 I was in a pretty bad motocross accident while I was practicing for an upcoming qualifier race. End result was 4 broken vertebrate (T4-T7) out of which T5 & T6 had to be fused together and a collapsed lung. I was very fortunate to walk away from this accident and can proudly so I am standing here today writing this message. I have been informed by my doctor that it is now ok for me to begin exercising again but only with weight 50lbs or less but I have been timid to start due to the risk of causing more problems with my injury. I have always been very fit and exercised almost everyday in some way shape or form my whole life. Before my accident, when I was training for motocross I was doing a lot of high intensity circuit style workouts (similar to CrossFit) to increase my stamina on the bike. Since it seems that racing will not be in my future anymore I cannot take my mind off CrossFit. I am very eager to begin working out again but I am in no rush because my back has not yet healed all the way. So far from what I have read this forum looks amazing and I can not wait to dig deeper into the forum and read more articles and threads you guys have posted. Until then God Bless and I hope to be in the mix with you guys very soon.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:08 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Recovering from Back Injury

It might be a good idea just to work out with bodyweight exercises for a while and work on your mobility and strength with them until you get up to par. Then you can start out with more barbell exercises as you improve or work more with bodyweight strength work.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
Michael Ferrell

Profile:

Yeah I have been doing some mobility things but a lot of different stretches were advised to not do by my doctor due to the extent of my injury. I had begun doing a lot of body weight exercise due to my lifting limit but do not think I had progressed far enough into my recovery to be doing a lot of moving around (this was about 3 months ago). However, today will be my first day back into exercising. My plan for the week and the weeks to come is as follows and please give me some feedback to whether this is a good start:

3 sets for time (2/3 times a week):
Burpees 15
Body-Squats 15
Push-ups 15
Box Jumps 15 (looking at only starting with a 14in. box)

On my other days I plan do about 2 hours worth of hiking/biking and while I can do some swimming as well.

Not trying to over do it by any means as I want my back to heal correctly and be able to get back to 100% ASAP. I may even take it back down to only 2 days of body weight and 2 days of some sort of hiking/biking/swimming.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:07 AM   #4
Michael Ferrell

Profile:

Did my first workout Monday night which was the:
15 burpees
15 pushups
15 body squats
15 box jumps.
Completed 3 rounds for a time of 7:30.

Honestly I think this time was pretty good considering my condition but I would definitely like to get that down to under 5 mins within the next 3 months. Pretty sore after that but there is no turning back now . Might consider changing up my pushups from time to time to a decline pushup or doing pushups with chairs to get deeper into the exercise.
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34
Old 08-22-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Something to think about might be good mornings or straight leg deadlifts starting with bar only or just DB. I would hesistate to say back extensions because I'm not sure of your spine mobility.

Maybe Reverse Hyper work.

I'll defer to Steve on this.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #6
Michael Ferrell

Profile:

Thanks Blair, never really thought about good mornings but seeing that its not really putting any stress on my mid-back, could be beneficial. Does anyone recommend any good core exercise. I have been doing a lot of planks/side planks which is one of my favorite core exercises. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34
Old 08-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

core exercises like good mornings and straight leg deadlifts will be a lot more useful than plank ****.

planks are easy enough and good but they don't make you strong like bull.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:38 AM   #8
Hollie Jacobs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
It might be a good idea just to work out with bodyweight exercises for a while and work on your mobility and strength with them until you get up to par. Then you can start out with more barbell exercises as you improve or work more with bodyweight strength work.
Agree. You should take it nice and slow, just to make sure that you're fully adjusted/
Old 08-23-2012, 08:47 AM   #9
Michael Ferrell

Profile:

Wow, shows how little I know. I will definitely start doing some good mornings and SDL. I do not have a barbell at my house but I do have a good set of dumbbells so I will be using those and using no more than 25lbs.

Any suggestions to what I can use for good mornings. Thinking of just going out in the woods and finding a tree limb that has some decent weight to it.

Just trying to avoid buying anything because once I am back to 100% I want to be back in the gym. I don't really see the point of joining now since I am so limited to what I can do, most of it can be done at home anyways.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

You can hold the DB across the back of your neck with your hands. Just like you would hold it if you were doing weighted back extensions.

It's not the planks are bad, it's just they aren't as much load up to a certain point.

If you couldn't say hold a plank for 20 or 30 seconds, I would think WTF and you'd be doing planks.

But if you can hold a plank for 1-2 minutes, you need to move on. It's endurance, and endurance isn't bad for a lot of muscles in your back but I'm pretty sure you're not really tasking your back by that point and more of just working how long you can hold a plank for rather than being strong.