CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-15-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
Stephen Fishbach

Profile:
Looking for advice - about shoulders, biceps long head subluxation, and ortho-bionomy

Long-time reader, first time poster! I had a shoulder injury about 2 months ago and was hoping to get some of the excellent Crossfitter advice I see so often doled out in this forum.

About two months ago, I was doing pullups - my first time ever kipping in a wod - and came down hard on my left shoulder. I felt a "popping" and realized it could be an injury but no significant immediate pain. However, over the next few days, i started experiencing some pinching shoulder pain, but only when I held my shoulder in certain positions - specifically, in the wide-gripped, over-the-head, extended position you use for OH squats and pullups.

Tried working through it for a few weeks, but the pain persisted, and got worse, extending into my rhomboid and sometimes radiating down my entire arm. Scheduled an appointment with an ortho who specializes in shoulders, and in the interim went to see an ART chiro to start to work out some of the kinks.

Ortho barely glanced at me and just prescribed an MRI (without contrast, even though I specifically asked him if I should get one with with) to see if it was a SLAP tear. He prescribed me to PT, which was the usual stuff - internal/external rotation with a theraband, upright rows on the machine to strengthen the back muscles, etc. MRI came back negative for slap tear. Ortho wouldn't even bother to tell me what it DID say, so I requested the report, which had mild tendinosis of the supraspinatus and mild fissuring at the chondrolabral junction of the posterosuperior glenoid.

But while some of the immediate pain had gone away, probably largely bc I had laid off upper body exercise, I still had consistent pinching/pain in the extended overhead position, and a LOT of pain now in my rhomboid muscle which nobody seemed to be able to account for, other than that it was a stability issue with my shoulder. Also very noticeable crepitus (crackling) when I would do DB flies with anything more than 1 or 2 lbs.

So 6 weeks later I was referred to an "ortho-bionomist/massage therapist." As soon as I walked in the door, he told me that my bicep tendon had come out of its groove, and that I'd messed up my rib position of the top 3 ribs. Through very gentle movements, he moved my rib position and put the biceps tendon back into place - or at least, this is what he said he was doing, as I have no real way of verifying.

Well, the proof is in the pudding, and my shoulder pain significantly decreased while in those overhead movements, rhomboid pain has decreased (though not gone away) and I feel much more stability, though I still am getting some radiant pain in my arm. Shoulder pain does still come and go, and I haven't tested this out with actual weight as I'm letting it heal. I talked to my ART chiro, and he was quite incredulous about the whole thing.

Does anybody have any thoughts about this kind of treatment? It seems like witchcraft to me, but it's hard to argue with results. OG/Jason Highbarger has a blog post where he talks about exactly this solution.
http://crossfitog.blogspot.com/2010/...this_9317.html
Old 08-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
Sean Rockett

Profile:
Re: Looking for advice - about shoulders, biceps long head subluxation, and ortho-bio

you can't put the biceps tendon back in its groove and expect it to stay without surgery. If the sheath is ripped it would sublux and not have a restraint to keep it there (if one were able to put it back in its place.)
Old 08-18-2012, 11:07 PM   #3
Stephen Fishbach

Profile:
Re: Looking for advice - about shoulders, biceps long head subluxation, and ortho-bio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Rockett View Post
you can't put the biceps tendon back in its groove and expect it to stay without surgery. If the sheath is ripped it would sublux and not have a restraint to keep it there (if one were able to put it back in its place.)
Thanks a lot, Sean. I appreciate your response. Not sure what the guy did, but it worked - for a while. Pain is back to where it was pre-voodoo though. Serves me right for believing in miracles!
Old 08-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
Stephen Fishbach

Profile:

Now I have a follow-up question.

I had read that bicep curls were a solid way to add some shoulder stability. I was doing curls with a decently light weight - 20 lbs - and every curl, something in my left shoulder was popping - but only when I did both arms simultaneously. If I just isolated one arm, the shoulder didn't pop at all. Any idea what this could be?

Is it necessarily bicep tendonitis? Could it be a broader stability issue?
Old 08-19-2012, 07:21 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Biceps curls do little for shoulder stability really...

Does the pop come from the shoulder or from somewhere else?

Tendonitis doesn't usually pop. Stability issue potentially
Old 08-19-2012, 11:34 PM   #6
Stephen Fishbach

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Biceps curls do little for shoulder stability really...

Does the pop come from the shoulder or from somewhere else?

Tendonitis doesn't usually pop. Stability issue potentially
Thanks so much for your response.

The pop is from the front of the shoulder. In my mind I imagine it's like a tendon popping over a bone but I really have no clue. I get a similar pop when I rotate my arm, and also get clicking when I do dumbbell flies. I also have pain that radiates down my arm, usually in the front/bicep area but sometimes in the back. Any insight you have would be much appreciated! I'm seeing an ortho again in a week but hate not having any idea what's going on in the interim.

Are Turkish getups good for stability? Seen that as well.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
Fan Yang

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Fishbach View Post
About two months ago, I was doing pullups - my first time ever kipping in a wod - and came down hard on my left shoulder. I felt a "popping" and realized it could be an injury but no significant immediate pain. However, over the next few days, i started experiencing some pinching shoulder pain, but only when I held my shoulder in certain positions - specifically, in the wide-gripped, over-the-head, extended position you use for OH squats and pullups.

Tried working through it for a few weeks, but the pain persisted, and got worse, extending into my rhomboid and sometimes radiating down my entire arm. Scheduled an appointment with an ortho who specializes in shoulders, and in the interim went to see an ART chiro to start to work out some of the kinks.

Ortho barely glanced at me and just prescribed an MRI (without contrast, even though I specifically asked him if I should get one with with) to see if it was a SLAP tear. He prescribed me to PT, which was the usual stuff - internal/external rotation with a theraband, upright rows on the machine to strengthen the back muscles, etc. MRI came back negative for slap tear. Ortho wouldn't even bother to tell me what it DID say, so I requested the report, which had mild tendinosis of the supraspinatus and mild fissuring at the chondrolabral junction of the posterosuperior glenoid.

But while some of the immediate pain had gone away, probably largely bc I had laid off upper body exercise, I still had consistent pinching/pain in the extended overhead position, and a LOT of pain now in my rhomboid muscle which nobody seemed to be able to account for, other than that it was a stability issue with my shoulder. Also very noticeable crepitus (crackling) when I would do DB flies with anything more than 1 or 2 lbs.

So 6 weeks later I was referred to an "ortho-bionomist/massage therapist." As soon as I walked in the door, he told me that my bicep tendon had come out of its groove, and that I'd messed up my rib position of the top 3 ribs. Through very gentle movements, he moved my rib position and put the biceps tendon back into place - or at least, this is what he said he was doing, as I have no real way of verifying.

Well, the proof is in the pudding, and my shoulder pain significantly decreased while in those overhead movements, rhomboid pain has decreased (though not gone away) and I feel much more stability, though I still am getting some radiant pain in my arm. Shoulder pain does still come and go, and I haven't tested this out with actual weight as I'm letting it heal. I talked to my ART chiro, and he was quite incredulous about the whole thing.
sounds like you have some overuse injuries, we get old, things creak, eventually we all pass away. you would know it if your bicep was detached. I'd imagine you'd see it on your MRI as well. Gentle movements cannot move ribs....I'd say that dude is kinda of a quack.