CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-25-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
Bryan Lloyd

Profile:
Supraspinatus Tendonitis Question

I was told I had this after going in to my Doc due to persistent shoulder pain. He gave me a steroid shot in my bursa sack that he said would start to work in three days and continue for 21. He told me I could start working out in three days. I told him about Crossfit and he said just don't lift too heavy. I don't want to make it worse and this does not sound like enough time off to me. My question for any one with experience in this is how long to take off and what can I continue to do without making it worse.Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
Sean Rockett

Profile:
Re: Supraspinatus Tendonitis Question

It depends on what his diagnosis is and what makes it hurt. It sounds like he was treating you for a bursitis and gave a cortisone. Typicall it means avoiding overhead stuff until pain goes away can be 4-6 weeks as long as nothing else is wrong in shoulder
Old 07-26-2012, 07:10 AM   #3
Megan Zetter

Profile:

If the scapula has abnormal movement, healing the tendon will be difficult. I'd have someone assess your scapulohumeral movement and your posture. Like Sean said, often times eliminating overhead pressing/movements for a time will allow the tendon to calm down, but if the source of the issue is not addressed you will likely re-injure it.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:44 AM   #4
Jen Greenwich

Profile:

I have had some supraspinatus issues in the past and actually tore it last spring (in an odd spot that presented as a torn labrum). My advice would be to rest it and be careful with it. Even if it feels okay, maybe scale back on some of your overhead weights.

Whatever you do, don't let it get to a point where you cannot lift your arm over your head without weight...
Old 07-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
Bryan Lloyd

Profile:
Red face Re: Supraspinatus Tendonitis Question

Thank you for all your replies
Old 07-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Remember that cortisone/steroids don't really fix the injury... just decrease inflammation. You still have to do rehab.

It would be a good idea to do some rehab work +mobility

and if you don't know what you are doing see a physical therapist.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:32 PM   #7
Russ Monzon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan Zetter View Post
If the scapula has abnormal movement, healing the tendon will be difficult. I'd have someone assess your scapulohumeral movement and your posture. Like Sean said, often times eliminating overhead pressing/movements for a time will allow the tendon to calm down, but if the source of the issue is not addressed you will likely re-injure it.
sorry to hijack, but i just found this thread while doing a search.

i've been observed to have poor posture and scapular dyskenesia - my right shoulder blade "wings out" when i lower my arm down from over head. as such, i have fraying and tearing in my supraspinatus tendon that has been causing pain (seen in an MRI). besides doing Y and T exercises, what else can be done to address this issue? how do i strengthen the muscles that keep my scap in place?
Old 12-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Monzon View Post
sorry to hijack, but i just found this thread while doing a search.

i've been observed to have poor posture and scapular dyskenesia - my right shoulder blade "wings out" when i lower my arm down from over head. as such, i have fraying and tearing in my supraspinatus tendon that has been causing pain (seen in an MRI). besides doing Y and T exercises, what else can be done to address this issue? how do i strengthen the muscles that keep my scap in place?
See a physical therapist...

If you have a winging scapula you need to be doing serratus anterior exercises as well.