CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #1
Allie Newell

Profile:
Whole 30

5 of us are starting the whole 30 this month. Iíve bought the online success guide, and was wondering what you guys thought and browsed the sites comments. Figure I can get a much sharper discussion here. It is basically a strict paleo diet. Any thoughts from the community?

Old 10-06-2011, 07:26 AM   #2
Luke Sirakos

Profile:
Re: Whole 30

I have done it before under the Paleo diet (same thing) and lost like 15 lbs in 30 days and felt great. I wasn't working out at the time and since I have started again I have put the weight back on but it is more muscle than before. Overall it was a great experience and I have changed my basic diet since. I don't think I will be that strict again just because it isn't convenient and I think you can get most of the benefits of the diet when still allowing for some slack.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
Ryan Eddy

Profile:

For general overall fitness its an excellent jump start into clean eating.

If you have other goals, it may be a good place to start just to break some bad habits, but you'll want to find a more specific diet to fit your fitness goals. i.e. If you want to turn into a gorilla, paleo/whole30 really limits your options.

It's only 30 days. Don't cheat. Not even once. Give it a chance. If you mess up, just start over.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
Steve Liberati

Profile:

All Whole 9 did was rebrand all of Robb Wolf's material with cute logo's, clever marketing titles and pretty design work.

I don't find anything they offer unique other than a negative opinion of CrossFit....the very program and community that got them to where they are today.

I also find it ironic that they strongly promote a very strict Paleo Diet, yet endorse a protein supplement company on their website in which they enjoy a nice kickback from each month despite going against their own nutritional morals.

Honestly, there are too many free resources available on the web, here on the CF message board and in the CF Journal to pay someone to tell you to eat strict Paleo for 30 days.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:26 AM   #5
Tricia Magrini

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Liberati View Post
I also find it ironic that they strongly promote a very strict Paleo Diet, yet endorse a protein supplement company on their website in which they enjoy a nice kickback from each month despite going against their own nutritional morals.
Won't say I disagree with everything you said, but they absolutely do not permit any protein supplementation other than maybe dried egg white. They recommend SFHs fish oil, that's it. I am sure there is some palm greasing but I also do believe they think it is the best product around.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:43 AM   #6
Zach S

Profile:

These people are complete scam artists.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:51 AM   #7
Steve Liberati

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia Magrini View Post
Won't say I disagree with everything you said, but they absolutely do not permit any protein supplementation other than maybe dried egg white. They recommend SFHs fish oil, that's it. I am sure there is some palm greasing but I also do believe they think it is the best product around.
No. They recommend products because they get a kick back from the companies which goes to support their lavish lifestyle. Do you follow them on Facebook? Every other week they are traveling to a different tropical location. It completely puzzles me they have as many fans as they do, considering how savvy the CrossFit community is.

And I know for a fact that they do not recommend products based solely on the fact that they believe they are the best products.

If that was the case, they wouldn't recommend one product in particular which we explained to them that the company was falsely claiming nutritional facts on their label. Since we had a working relationship with Melissa from when we worked with her in the past w exchanged some private emails with her and explained to her how the company's product was not what it claimed to be. We shared the lab reports with her so she was informed of what was going on. Her response was that she said she had a close relationship with the owner and she would talk to him to make sure they are Whole9 compliant (whatever that means).

I admit it may come off like I have an ax to grind here, but the truth is they are recommending products because they get kickbacks from the company and not because they strongly believe in their products.

But the real kicker is the fact they have a public disdain towards CrossFit...the very same program they travel around the countries and make a living on.

Guess they were never taught not to bite the hand that feeds you.

Shame on them.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:46 PM   #8
Tricia Magrini

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Liberati View Post
No. They recommend products because they get a kick back from the companies which goes to support their lavish lifestyle. Do you follow them on Facebook? Every other week they are traveling to a different tropical location. It completely puzzles me they have as many fans as they do, considering how savvy the CrossFit community is.

And I know for a fact that they do not recommend products based solely on the fact that they believe they are the best products.

If that was the case, they wouldn't recommend one product in particular which we explained to them that the company was falsely claiming nutritional facts on their label. Since we had a working relationship with Melissa from when we worked with her in the past w exchanged some private emails with her and explained to her how the company's product was not what it claimed to be. We shared the lab reports with her so she was informed of what was going on. Her response was that she said she had a close relationship with the owner and she would talk to him to make sure they are Whole9 compliant (whatever that means).

I admit it may come off like I have an ax to grind here, but the truth is they are recommending products because they get kickbacks from the company and not because they strongly believe in their products.

But the real kicker is the fact they have a public disdain towards CrossFit...the very same program they travel around the countries and make a living on.

Guess they were never taught not to bite the hand that feeds you.

Shame on them.
I don't buy Primal Pacs anymore.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:07 PM   #9
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Steve, I find it ironic that you feel the need to jump into EVERY thread about whole9 with a negative comment (even to the point of digging up ones that haven't updated recently). Incredibly immature and baseless on your part, personally I had nothing against your product or any reason to see your competitor as superiour, but given your lack of self respect and business ethics, I can say I will never purchase a product from you based on your immaturity deplayed publically here.

I feel a great deal of respect for Melissa and Dallas, who make available a ton of information for absolutely free, and though they may endorse your competitor, never put your product down (their "pitch" for the product is that they like it, its made from ingredients they consider acceptable, and its convenient for them, so they are happy they can get a discount for others).
They travel to "lavish" locations (which is paid for as part of their business, it IS their business in fact) to put on workshops, you could do the same. You seem to criticize the fact that they make money off a packaged plan, yet you can do their whole30 without ever spending a dime, the entire program is laid out for free, the "success guide" and workshops are additional tools that you absolutely don't have to buy unless you want more info. They also work directly with He-Who-Shall_not-Be-Named, so the fact that they share much of his information shouldn't come as a surprise, they package the info into a simple but detailed, user-friendly way that makes the lightbulb go off for many many people, I don't see how that would be a bad thing, especially coming from someone in the business of quality nutrition.
And finally, they don't criticise cf they criticise hq, which anyone here would know are utterly separate entities. They still follow cf training, and reccommend the training methodologies as optimal in their workshops.
Quit slandering whole9 just because you missed out on what would have been a significant advertising increase that Primal Pacs now recieves instead.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:52 PM   #10
Steve Liberati

Profile:

Rebecca, first off let me start by saying we don't need Whole9 to endorse our products or mission. We do fine without them. Second, as an affiliate owner of two CrossFit gyms, they are guilty of putting down my products when they talk negative on CrossFit and CFHQ.

But you don't see anything wrong (or incredibly immature and baseless in your words), for them publicly trashing and voicing their grievances against CFHQ on the internet through their various marketing channels??? Whether you are okay with this or not, it doesn't sit well with me.

You can continue to defend them all you want, but the FACTS remain the same:

1.) They continue to [publicly] bash CF and CFHQ.

2.) They receive kickbacks for endorsing supplement and other companies selling food products.

3.) They have no credentials in nutrition.

As nutrition consultants, the second one really shows a lack of integrity on their part. Are they recommending certain products and companies because they strongly believe in them or because they are getting a kick back? I believe it is the former. They strongly advocate a very strict paleo diet (to the point of being extremely dogmatic and snobby about it), yet endorse jerky, a protein supplement company and coconut wraps.

Guess you don't see anything ironic with this either

Closed Thread