CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2011, 11:42 PM   #1
Katherine Derbyshire
Member Katherine Derbyshire is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle  WA
Posts: 7,596
Returning phone calls

Just a gentle suggestion to affiliates:

Return phone calls. Answer emails. Really. It's important.

I did a lot of traveling this summer, and as a result tried to connect with a couple of different affiliates looking for places to work out. I was shocked by the number who *didn't* return phone calls or answer emails.

Now, my messages were very clear that I was just visiting and therefore not a potential long term client. But still. If I visit your city, I probably know people who live there. I'd be happy to recommend you to those people... but not if you can't be bothered to return my calls.

This is a sharp contrast, by the way, to my experiences with aikido. I've visited aikido dojos all over the world, including in places where I didn't speak the local language, and never felt like anything other than a long lost friend. (Well, okay, some places I've felt like a family member.) If you want to brag about your "community" atmosphere, this is the kind of thing you really need to look at.

Katherine
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:28 AM   #2
Dave Traeger
Banned Dave Traeger is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Perth  WA Australia
Posts: 1,810
Re: Returning phone calls

Wow, I thought that was common sense every business / industry.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:59 AM   #3
Chris Cooper
Affiliate Chris Cooper is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sault Ste. Marie  ON
Posts: 260
Re: Returning phone calls

It's a big problem. A few days ago, over on dontbuyads.com, I offered to do a phone survey for Affiliates. Several signed up to have their members polled; we've begun the survey, now, and called a few Affiliates just to see how they answer their phones. Many don't (understandable) but it's rare to get a call back at all....
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:47 AM   #4
Ken Nodes
Affiliate Ken Nodes is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Morganville  NJ
Posts: 18
Re: Returning phone calls

It is amazing how many don't return calls or emails. This summer I spent 3 days up outside of Boston, I contacted 3 different affiliates by email and phone and not one of them returned a call or email. Ended up going to a local high school to get WOD in.

What I've noticed also is that a lot of contact "forms" on affiliates websites just don't work. A few that I've used and then followed w/a call said they never got the contact message.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
Aushion Chatman
Affiliate Aushion Chatman is offline
 
Aushion Chatman's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 3,342
Re: Returning phone calls

Strange...We get tons of visitors being in San Diego, between those of us who answer e-mail and the phone I don't think we've ever missed someone or not gotten back to someone within a day.

NOW, what isn't cool is the phone call at 5am...some of you East Coasters need to keep in mind the time difference and the fact that in San Diego, you don't wake up before 7am unless you're surfing, at MCRD, or in BUD/s.
__________________
My Youtube Channel
CFSD Yelp
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:09 AM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire
Member Katherine Derbyshire is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle  WA
Posts: 7,596
Re: Returning phone calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Traeger View Post
Wow, I thought that was common sense every business / industry.
I thought so too...

Katherine
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:19 AM   #7
Renee Lee
Member Renee Lee is offline
 
Renee Lee's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston  MA
Posts: 3,039
Re: Returning phone calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Nodes View Post
It is amazing how many don't return calls or emails. This summer I spent 3 days up outside of Boston, I contacted 3 different affiliates by email and phone and not one of them returned a call or email. Ended up going to a local high school to get WOD in.

What I've noticed also is that a lot of contact "forms" on affiliates websites just don't work. A few that I've used and then followed w/a call said they never got the contact message.
Knowing the affiliates in Boston, this doesn't come as a shock to me.

EDIT: Also? Katherine? I love you. I don't say that enough
__________________
"catapultam habeo. nisi pecuniam dabis, ad capitem tuum saxum mittam."
Translation: I have a catapult. Give me your money or i'll throw a rock at your head.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:38 PM   #8
Eric R Cohen
Member Eric R Cohen is offline
 
Eric R Cohen's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Southampton  NY
Posts: 887
Re: Returning phone calls

Just got in two workouts at crossfit LA. They returned my email :-)
Love that box
__________________
Eric Cohen. CF Level 1, 178 5'9".
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:52 PM   #9
Mark Ritchie
Affiliate Mark Ritchie is offline
 
Mark Ritchie's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chiang Mai  Thailand
Posts: 386
Re: Returning phone calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
NOW, what isn't cool is the phone call at 5am...some of you East Coasters need to keep in mind the time difference and the fact that in San Diego, you don't wake up before 7am unless you're surfing, at MCRD, or in BUD/s.
We get loads of visitors here in Chiang Mai, as well. 5 AM? We're exactly 12 hours off EST for part of the year, so the 1 AM calls are really not so fun... At least it is an international call and that keeps the number of middle of the night calls down!

We've also found that visiting CrossFitters are pretty good about emailing first. Of course, when I tell them the taxi from the hotel in Bangkok to our gym in Chiang Mai would take 9 hours they are sort of startled if they've never looked at a map of Thailand.
__________________
Mark Ritchie
CrossFit Chiang Mai (CFCNX)

Last edited by Mark Ritchie; 09-16-2011 at 07:12 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:13 AM   #10
Randy Tarasevich
Affiliate Randy Tarasevich is offline
 
Randy Tarasevich's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Norwich  CT
Posts: 1,632
Re: Returning phone calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ritchie View Post
We get loads of visitors here in Chiang Mai, as well. 5 AM? We're exactly 12 hours off EST for part of the year, so the 1 AM calls are really not so fun... At least it is an international call and that keeps the number of middle of the night calls down!

We've also found that visiting CrossFitters are pretty good about emailing first. Of course, when I tell them the taxi from the hotel in Bangkok to our gym in Chiang Mai would take 9 hours they are sort of startled if they've never looked at a map of Thailand.
Chiang Mai breeds hard-as-nails Muy Thai boxers. I've always wanted to visit there for a month the train.
__________________
www.sectcrossfit.com
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Affliction Counter-Suit Calls M-1 Global a Sham Ned Ferguson CrossPit 2 06-02-2010 10:15 PM
Crossfit Jodi Calls Lorie Vance Fitness 8 10-22-2008 07:54 PM
Returning back pain Shane Upchurch Injuries 18 11-11-2007 12:19 PM
Returning to CrossFit with a variation Alex Nisetich Fitness 1 11-02-2007 07:52 PM
Returning to Crossfit - how to begin Mitchell Brown Starting 2 06-28-2007 06:13 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:45 AM.


CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.