CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:42 PM   #1
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Returning phone calls

Just a gentle suggestion to affiliates:

Return phone calls. Answer emails. Really. It's important.

I did a lot of traveling this summer, and as a result tried to connect with a couple of different affiliates looking for places to work out. I was shocked by the number who *didn't* return phone calls or answer emails.

Now, my messages were very clear that I was just visiting and therefore not a potential long term client. But still. If I visit your city, I probably know people who live there. I'd be happy to recommend you to those people... but not if you can't be bothered to return my calls.

This is a sharp contrast, by the way, to my experiences with aikido. I've visited aikido dojos all over the world, including in places where I didn't speak the local language, and never felt like anything other than a long lost friend. (Well, okay, some places I've felt like a family member.) If you want to brag about your "community" atmosphere, this is the kind of thing you really need to look at.

Katherine
Old 09-14-2011, 12:28 AM   #2
Dave Traeger

Profile:
Re: Returning phone calls

Wow, I thought that was common sense every business / industry.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:59 AM   #3
Chris Cooper

Profile:

It's a big problem. A few days ago, over on dontbuyads.com, I offered to do a phone survey for Affiliates. Several signed up to have their members polled; we've begun the survey, now, and called a few Affiliates just to see how they answer their phones. Many don't (understandable) but it's rare to get a call back at all....
Old 09-14-2011, 05:47 AM   #4
Ken Nodes

Profile:

It is amazing how many don't return calls or emails. This summer I spent 3 days up outside of Boston, I contacted 3 different affiliates by email and phone and not one of them returned a call or email. Ended up going to a local high school to get WOD in.

What I've noticed also is that a lot of contact "forms" on affiliates websites just don't work. A few that I've used and then followed w/a call said they never got the contact message.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Strange...We get tons of visitors being in San Diego, between those of us who answer e-mail and the phone I don't think we've ever missed someone or not gotten back to someone within a day.

NOW, what isn't cool is the phone call at 5am...some of you East Coasters need to keep in mind the time difference and the fact that in San Diego, you don't wake up before 7am unless you're surfing, at MCRD, or in BUD/s.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:09 AM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Traeger View Post
Wow, I thought that was common sense every business / industry.
I thought so too...

Katherine
Old 09-16-2011, 08:19 AM   #7
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Nodes View Post
It is amazing how many don't return calls or emails. This summer I spent 3 days up outside of Boston, I contacted 3 different affiliates by email and phone and not one of them returned a call or email. Ended up going to a local high school to get WOD in.

What I've noticed also is that a lot of contact "forms" on affiliates websites just don't work. A few that I've used and then followed w/a call said they never got the contact message.
Knowing the affiliates in Boston, this doesn't come as a shock to me.

EDIT: Also? Katherine? I love you. I don't say that enough
Old 09-16-2011, 06:38 PM   #8
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

Just got in two workouts at crossfit LA. They returned my email :-)
Love that box
Old 09-16-2011, 06:52 PM   #9
Mark Ritchie

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
NOW, what isn't cool is the phone call at 5am...some of you East Coasters need to keep in mind the time difference and the fact that in San Diego, you don't wake up before 7am unless you're surfing, at MCRD, or in BUD/s.
We get loads of visitors here in Chiang Mai, as well. 5 AM? We're exactly 12 hours off EST for part of the year, so the 1 AM calls are really not so fun... At least it is an international call and that keeps the number of middle of the night calls down!

We've also found that visiting CrossFitters are pretty good about emailing first. Of course, when I tell them the taxi from the hotel in Bangkok to our gym in Chiang Mai would take 9 hours they are sort of startled if they've never looked at a map of Thailand.

Last edited by Mark Ritchie; 09-16-2011 at 07:12 PM..
Old 09-19-2011, 05:13 AM   #10
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ritchie View Post
We get loads of visitors here in Chiang Mai, as well. 5 AM? We're exactly 12 hours off EST for part of the year, so the 1 AM calls are really not so fun... At least it is an international call and that keeps the number of middle of the night calls down!

We've also found that visiting CrossFitters are pretty good about emailing first. Of course, when I tell them the taxi from the hotel in Bangkok to our gym in Chiang Mai would take 9 hours they are sort of startled if they've never looked at a map of Thailand.
Chiang Mai breeds hard-as-nails Muy Thai boxers. I've always wanted to visit there for a month the train.