CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-28-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
Lindsay Grant

Profile:
Is Crossfit enough?

Hello

I have been doing Crossfit for about 4 weeks now. I have a gym membership through Golds Gym but haven't gone since joining Crossfit and am thinking about canceling it. I used to do spin classes or some kind of cardio but now all I do is Crossfit. I just wanted to know...should I be doing more than just crossfit exercises? My workouts vary from as little time as 12 minutes all the way up to 30 or 40 minutes. Is this enough to lose weight and tone up? I am scared that I am still not getting the right amount of exercise but I have heard so many people say that doing short HIIT workouts will give you better results than long low intensity workouts. I have been going for about a month. I haven't really seen anything different in my body but I feel better and stronger. I just want to lose weight and tone up but how can I use Crossfit to efficiently do that? It seems like so many people say they have lost like 20 pounds in a month or have seen amazing results in a month and I haven't so I am just wondering.

Thanks for any input or ideas!
Old 09-28-2009, 11:42 AM   #2
Jacob Kulyn

Profile:
Re: Is Crossfit enough?

Yes crossfit is enough, before asking about increasing your training you should take a look at your nutrition and see where thats at. There are hundreds of resources in these boards which can help you. If it were me i would start by eating paleo.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:08 PM   #3
Tom Seryak

Profile:

There is a big difference between being fit and the appearance of being fit. I highly recommend that you aim for improvements in performance. Track and measure your "results" in terms of your physical performance, not your weight or body fat %. These are side benefits of being fit, they are not aims in and of themselves.

Desiring these side benefits is one thing. Aiming for them is another. When you aim for weight loss/fat loss, inevitably you will end up doing something unnecessary and more than likely, unhealthy (like cut calories or do "extra" cardio). Crossfit is all that you need to improve your fitness level. If you really would like to make significant and dramatic gains, focus in on your nutrition. As Dr. Sears said in his most recent CFJournal video "don't let your diet work against you"...

If you have no desire to actually be fit, and you only care about your appearance...then i think you need a change of mindset...
Old 09-28-2009, 12:21 PM   #5
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

If you do the workout of the day, sensibly scaled to your abilities, and hit every single day with as much intensity as you can muster, then yes you should expect progress on the body composition front. However, as has been said already, diet plays an important role. Get at least 7 hours of sleep, preferably 9, every night. Take short naps. Read the CF Journal, the entire FAQ, and every resource posted on this thread already. Good luck and keep us posted. And btw use the search function because threads exactly like this one are all over these boards.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:38 PM   #6
Lindsay Grant

Profile:

Thank you everyone for the input. I did just start Paleo last week. It is more of a combo between Paleo and Zone. I don't eat any dairy but I do use Stevia in my coffee and drink the 0 calorie juices which I am trying to wene myself off of. I don't eat any breads. I do eat the zone bars for a snack before my workout and I sometimes have protein powder mixed with water for a morning snack with my veggies.

I do feel way better than I have when I was doing long workouts. I just need to give it time I guess. I will try to keep everyone posted!
Old 09-28-2009, 12:45 PM   #7
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Grant View Post
Thank you everyone for the input. I did just start Paleo last week. It is more of a combo between Paleo and Zone. I don't eat any dairy but I do use Stevia in my coffee and drink the 0 calorie juices which I am trying to wene myself off of. I don't eat any breads. I do eat the zone bars for a snack before my workout and I sometimes have protein powder mixed with water for a morning snack with my veggies.

I do feel way better than I have when I was doing long workouts. I just need to give it time I guess. I will try to keep everyone posted!
be wary of the 0 calorie beverages. what have they done to that juice to make something, that should have sugar and calories in it, have none?

rule number one of diet: eat real food
Old 09-28-2009, 12:49 PM   #8
Michael Ingley

Profile:

if you are even thinking about asking if crossfit is enough, you aren't going hard enough at all
Old 09-28-2009, 12:56 PM   #9
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ingley View Post
if you are even thinking about asking if crossfit is enough, you aren't going hard enough at all
True story.

Also, whether or not you'll be able to "tone up" will really depend on how much of a handle you have on your diet. If you get it dialed in and hit CF hard, then I don't believe there's a better recipe for getting "shredded."
Old 09-28-2009, 01:53 PM   #10
Tom Seryak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
be wary of the 0 calorie beverages. what have they done to that juice to make something, that should have sugar and calories in it, have none?

rule number one of diet: eat real food
+1!

Regarding the "not going hard enough" responses...I have seen in clients and in myself that the ability to "go hard" may not be there right off the bat. With improved fitness comes improved psychological ability to train hard. Aslo, if you compare someone that is extremely fit to someone that is much less fit, the fitter person's "going hard" will always induce a much higher nuero-endocrine response. Which brings me back to my initial response...get fitter!!

I use regular sugar in my coffee and when I very rarely drink a soda, it's the real version not the diet. "Diet" foods are poison and make you fat, real foods don't.