CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-08-2005, 12:19 PM   #1
John Walsh

Profile:
I started training in my garage gym 3 years ago. Even though I trained in gym for over 2 decades it’s hard to imagine training in a commercial gym on a regular basis. Not that there is anything wrong with gyms. There are some really good gyms. I just like the freedom of training any way I want whenever I want. Over the summer I got tired of even being confined to the garage gym and have brought my workouts outdoors as often as possible. It’s cold here in Boston this time of year but this evening I will be at the field at Garvey Park tossing around my kettlebell that I got for my B-day last week.

My garage is not heated by it shields me from the wind when it’s cold. One thing I found is that I feel much better after training in the sunshine. So on a sunny but cold day like today I’ll opt for the outdoors. Are there other extreme weather trainers like me out there? Sorry but 55 degrees in Santa Cruz doesn’t count as extreme.

Also are there any disadvantages or advantages health wise from training outdoors even in extremes? I have noticed that the few times a year that I do train in a climate controlled gym I seem to perform much better.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:36 PM   #2
Bart Jones

Profile:

When I first got here in Iraq, it was extremely hot and we did exercise outdoors, and like you I found that I perform better in a climate controlled environment. However, I felt a lot worse when I used to run outside in Mississippi. It was just a different kind of hot, extremely humid. I don't know if there advantegous or not.
What part of Boston are you in? I'm originally from West Roxbury.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:48 PM   #3
John Walsh

Profile:
Bart,
Dorchester near Adams Corner.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:30 PM   #4
Jesse Woody

Profile:
I train outside as often as possible. Tonight I will doing a second workout in the snow...fun times! :D

I live in Virginia and there's a chance we'll have some freezing rain/sleet over the next two days, so I'll take advantage of this "nice" weather...28 degrees and snowy.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:51 PM   #5
David Easton

Profile:
Come to Scotland dude...its never "nice weather"!!!
Old 12-08-2005, 04:33 PM   #6
Steven Stackpole

Profile:
John
Come to Ottawa! Coldest capital in the world!

:-)
Old 12-08-2005, 04:52 PM   #7
Steven Stackpole

Profile:
In all seriousness John, I dont think there are any real problems with training in cold weather. I've run/played/fought fires in some of the coldest weather imaginable. The only thing that I can really think of, if you really exert yourself is some edema in your lungs, which may cause some fluid build up. Just the same its only temporary. The swelling will subside, and the fluid will dissipate. Other than that its the simple things like frostbite, slippery surfaces like ice and snow, shorter days, so have a headlamp available, in case you get caught out after dark.
Personally, I can deal with the cold, better than the heat.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:31 PM   #8
Eric Moffit

Profile:
the last two nights i was doing squats and pushups to stay warm while camping on top of a mountain in Yuma, AZ. i was pretty amazed at the warmth generated. also, the experience reminded me of the story where two guys are stuck in the snow. they hear someone else calling in the distance. one guy goes to help, the other one opts to stay where he is. the guy who stays dies, and the other lives. selfishness kills. move to live.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:56 AM   #9
Ian Holmes

Profile:
I think anyone in Canada would attest to the fact that any workout done here between Octobter and March could be considered to be in extreme conditions.
Other than running in -40, I really haven't had too many issues. Though I do find that as you put on more layers your mobility drops (think of it as extra weight), and it takes a lot longer to really get fully warmed up.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:01 AM   #10
John Phipps

Profile:
Me and my boys have been working out in our garage gym since spring of this year. I have always worked out before indoors in climate control gyms. It is more of a challenge now, less comfortable and harder but I think it is worth it. It feels more old school and more in touch with the natural world. Its like caveman cardio.

I took Judo for some years and they have the same kind of tradional summer and winter training. There is the winter training season called Kangeiko. Students ran from the Dojo for a distance of three or four miles, and then back again, in the cold dead of winter, then practiced vigorously in the cold Dojo for two hours. Then there is Shochugeiko, rigorous workouts in the summer heat.