CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:25 PM   #1
Jeff R Tucker

Profile:
Philosophical question CF VS. Globo GYM

So,

We were discussing this thought over a nice Pinot Noir the other night after we all cleaned up and licked our wounds from the WOD, "about if the LA Fitness/24 Hr Fitness/Lifetime Fitness/ Golds Type Gyms decide to embrace the CF lifestyle as the norm or as a facet of what they offer - how, what affect, would this have on the current status quo?"

Meaning - do any of you see a day in the future when a globo gym says - Why are we not offering CF classes for those out there who do CF? It seems like a logical thought or step and yet all I hear is the resistance to CF from the Globo Mom and Pop owners and CEO's of Globos. What is to stop the Life time fitness gyms from merely adding CF as part of the system of bizz as usual?

Then, what is the cause and result of such. Personally - I hope CF takes over the world! A Cross Fit Jihad if you will for fitness.

Last edited by Jeff R Tucker; 02-09-2008 at 12:29 PM..
Old 02-09-2008, 12:36 PM   #2
Joe Waguespack

Profile:
Re: Philosophical question CF VS. Globo GYM

I think it would be something like Michael Bolton trying to sing for the Sex Pistols. He could learn the words and even get through the songs , but it just wouldn't work. The attitude and the mentality just wouldn't be there.

I actually just had someone ask me about that recently, since I have been training clients at a commercial gym until my place is up and running. A few of the more mainstream trainers at the gym have been adopting some of the things they see me doing with clients and my buddy asked me if I was worried about someone getting the idea and trying to start a Crossfit style class at the commercial gym. I said HELL NO! I hope they do, it will get more people into it and once your in your in, (as we all know) and once they feel the limitations of a commercial gym atmosphere guess where they are going to go ? Straight to my front door. I say ,let's never fear competition , let's welcome it. It will keep us improving and always offering something that they cannot. Good topic. It will be interesting to read everyones thoughts.

Last edited by Joe Waguespack; 02-09-2008 at 12:39 PM..
Old 02-09-2008, 12:47 PM   #3
Howard Wilcox

Profile:

I'm not sure, but I suspect they are??

I doubt they'll call it crossfit (though, the Anytime Fitness here hires a certified crossfit person) and it is likely bastardized to some degree...but I bet they do offer some sort of "functional fitness" class.

When I say bastardized, I think they'll leave out key stuff like olympic lifting (no bumpers and no one to teach it). I suspect they'll look at the WODs and think it is just a random collection of movements and create what they think is something similar for their classes. They'll likely be less effective/easier too.

howard
Old 02-09-2008, 01:03 PM   #4
Daniel Hubbard

Profile:

If they really investigate CF, then they'll realize that it's a lot of people who are really dedicated to their workouts. Dedicated means that once they pay for their gym membership, they . . . use it. Globogyms don't want that. They want people who will pay for a membership, and then not use it. CF hurts their profit margin.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:08 PM   #5
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

I was looking through the list of affiliates and I saw one affiliate location at a Gold's Gym, I believe. I guess---though I don't know for sure---that there's a certified trainer who was able to convince his Gold's gym to pay the affiliation fee and they run a program alongside other classes.

Susie
Old 02-09-2008, 01:10 PM   #6
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

The Globo gyms use a high volume, self-service, discount business model. They have huge capital expenses while paying as little as possible for good labor. Their self-service membership business is actually a negative incentive for providing excellent service seeing as they rely on customers NOT using the service they pay for. Crossfit is a low-volume, labor intensive, low-capital, premium service. Crossfit relies customers getting great results and word of mouth. That's why Globo gyms and Crossfit are not a good fit.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:27 PM   #7
Jeff R Tucker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
The Globo gyms use a high volume, self-service, discount business model. They have huge capital expenses while paying as little as possible for good labor. Their self-service membership business is actually a negative incentive for providing excellent service seeing as they rely on customers NOT using the service they pay for. Crossfit is a low-volume, labor intensive, low-capital, premium service. Crossfit relies customers getting great results and word of mouth. That's why Globo gyms and Crossfit are not a good fit.
We all know this and agree with all your above stated wisdom.

We dont see it as a threat to us here or to CF as the standard - as stated in the original post we were just pontificating a philosohical thougt to its conclusion and wondered what others thought. Good thoughts.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:34 PM   #8
Dennis Marshall

Profile:

IMHO, there is no reason why a globo could not run a perfectly legitimate CF program alongside their other programming. Many clubs already offer some form of small-group training, which act as profit centers within the club's business model. These individual programs do not rely on poor customer service and people not showing up, but rather the opposite. In order for these programs to be successful, service and instruction must be excellent and people must see results. CrossFit classes would really operate no differently than any other fee-based class.

I also don't think that if globos were to begin offering CF classes (they already have by the way) that it would necessarily take away from the integrity of CrossFit. While I've seen some horrendous training going on in gyms, there are a lot of very good trainers that call globogyms their home as well. The same way that good/bad affiliates will either find success or failure as a result of their product and service, good/bad CF programs in globogyms will do the same. In the end, the integrity and principles that underlie the programming is what makes CF so successful, and as long as globos can create programming that adheres to that same level of integrity, I don't see why CrossFit Gold's/Lifetime/24 Hour/etc. can't work.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:27 AM   #9
Joe Waguespack

Profile:

I agree with Dennis to a certain extent, but one of the main things that I know attracted me to Crossfit was the sort of renegade attitude and pride in being the outcast, I kind of related to that. I think the mechanics and the actual physical act of doing Crossfit could really work anywhere, but i think it is so much more then just burpees and pull ups. I would love to see everyone doing Crossfit , but I would hate to see it lose it's community oriented feel. I strongly think that if it became a mainstream thing it would lose alot of the spirit that goes with it. Commercial gyms also are nothing but rules, "yes you can do Crossfit here but don't drop the weights, no chalk, you cant do squats right now because that guy has to do 10 sets of curls on the rack, sorry you can't get to the dumbells you need because I have to pose in front of the mirror right now, hey are you going to be doing pull ups all day I have to use my Ab slings, are you crazy? don't throw the ball against the wall we just had it painted!" I could go on all day with these.LOL
Old 02-10-2008, 09:15 AM   #10
Wade Smith

Profile:

I work out at a Golds with a CrossFit-style area. They call it SST: Sport Specific Training. Most of the equipment (C2s, balls, bars, squat racks, bumpers, rings, GHD, kettlebells, etc) are there, but I'm not convinced it's being utilized effectively.

My reasoning relates to management/trainers understanding how best to use/maximize the equipment. For instance...
  • In another thread earlier this week, I relayed the "funny" story of the two young studs curling an oly bar with one 5lb bumper on each side, tying up one of the three squat rack areas.
  • The rings are very RARELY used for ring dips (only by me, as far as I've seen) and NEVER used for muscle ups. Usually, they are used for pullups or reverse rows (decent uses) but most often unstrapped and thrown onto the floor.
  • Basically, people doing NON-CF style workouts are coming over to do stuff like curls, stability ball abs, etc staged in a squat rack area. Ties them up and makes it hard to get set up for more complicated WODs.
  • All C2 rowers are set at damper 10. The trainers tell the trainees that it makes for a better more intense workout. Though there may be disagreement on the boards about what damper to set it at, I think that brand new trainees ought to be given the choice if not started at a lower setting to be adjusted as form improves.
  • To the GloboGolds credit, the trainers do ALOT of training in this CF-type area doing many CF-style workouts. Maybe they will do more and more. I know I've turned a number of people on to CrossFit just because they see what I'm doing and are interested. Re: the training that goes on: Too long of breaks between exercises, in my opinion. Too much talking, flirting with clients, the usual. Having said that, I am impressed that they have purchased that equipment, freed up alot of floor space for it, and seem to be including CFish philosophy in their program.
  • To the GloboGolds discredit, they lock away all the Dynamax balls (I had to buy my own because I got tired of asking and being refused), most of the slam balls (the 20lb one is always locked up).
Ultimately, I don't see why a "CrossFit within a Globogym" wouldn't work if (a) understood CrossFit methodologically and philosophically and (b) implemented properly. I could see my Golds pull it off this summer with some minor changes inside and an opening up of the outside areas too.

Doesn't it all relate to money, though? If more and more people ask for CrossFit and are willing to pay the money to join the gym, wouldn't that influence the Globogym's direction? Just wondering.