CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-11-2011, 01:59 PM   #31
Brad Weiss

Profile:
Re: Need Help on Paleo Diet

Article is exactaly describing my situation.

Skinny Fat Syndrome- increased perfromance but no fat loss because carbs are too low resulting in mid-section fat.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:47 PM   #32
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

I agree 100% with everything said in that article but for many on these boards they just don't get it. I often times steer people towards more of the bodybuilding type websites because despite what many on these boards want to believe those are the folks who know about how to make changes in their bodies and it works.

Instead they want to read some research paper that says grains are bad! And tell us all how to eat. Who looks better a natural bodybuilder or Gary Taubes? You decide where to get your info from.

This should be posted as a sticky on the nutrition forum:

"Before the rise of information overload, practical advice regarding post-workout nutrition was simple down some damn protein and carbs as soon as you can after finishing your workout.

Lately, I've seen a disturbing trend rising amongst the gym population, particularly amongst those who fall victim to over-intellectualizing or over-theorizing everything. Turns out some scientist or evolutionary theorist somewhere stated that carbs in the post-workout period inhibit the fat burning environment created by exercise.

Thus, people are starting to believe that to maximize fat loss, you must go low carb all the time, even in the critical post-workout window."
Old 10-11-2011, 03:24 PM   #33
Eric Lester

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Samuels View Post
Instead they want to read some research paper that says grains are bad! And tell us all how to eat. Who looks better a natural bodybuilder or Gary Taubes? You decide where to get your info from.
You can spike your insulin post workout without eating grains.

Body builders do have expertise in achieving a certain physique. But their goal excludes all others. Might it be possible to achieve low body fat while refraining from eating foods that our bodies do not digest well?

This is not an either/or proposition.

We can take advice from body builders (such as having a 2:1 carbrotein post workout meal, for example) while also taking advice from Paleo writers (choose fruit rather grains, for example).

In my opinion, doing this is what CrossFit is all about. We do not have to stick to one camp, we combine what works from all camps to avoid the pitfalls of any one.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:45 PM   #34
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

Sure you can certainly get carbs without eating grains and if you have a medical problem with eating grain dont eat it. But other than that, nothing wrong with grain. There is already a thread on this.

I'm just pointing out the obvious. Which is these researchers and scientists can write all the garbage they want but if you want to know how to do it look at the poeple who do it.

I'm not TELLING people to eat grain I'm telling people not to exclude anything including grain simple because some dude on the internet said the cavemen didnt eat it.

I should also point out I used the grains argument as simply an example of research gone wild. Plenty of other sources for carbs that may work better for you.

Last edited by Rob Samuels; 10-11-2011 at 03:55 PM..
Old 10-11-2011, 05:01 PM   #35
BMH

Profile:  

I cast my lot to saying you should think about a banana or something in and or maybe a glass of juice or something and get a few more carbs in there. With your activity level, you might just be carb deficient. Believe it or not, they aren't bad for you as part of an athletic diet. Paleo folks can blow them out of proportion. If you do nothing all day, sure you don't need a whole lot, but an active 200lb male needs more than a yam for his daily carbs.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #36
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

I felt a little identified with that article. Thanks for the link.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #37
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Schul View Post
There is no thing as overtraining just undereating. Eat more, esp carbs!
Yeah right...

Adrenal fatigue can be cured by eating more.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:46 PM   #38
Zach S

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Riddle View Post
Yeah right...

Adrenal fatigue can be cured by eating more.
Train smart, not less often.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:55 PM   #39
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Schul View Post
Train smart, not less often.
except that smart may = less often
Old 10-11-2011, 06:08 PM   #40
BMH

Profile:  

I think adrenal fatigue and insulin insensitivity get way blown out of proportion around here. Eat more and try to get more sleep when you can. Add more carbs for the love of god. How hard is that?