CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:51 AM   #1
Brian Strump

Profile:
Moving next to a globo?

Any affiliates, or any members of an affiliate that is next to a globo-gym? Planet Fitness, Gold's, Bally's, etc?

We're looking for a place to expand, and found place next to a Planet Fitness. My biggest concerned is the wording that does not allow another "fitness" facility in the building. The lease agent thinks it ok, and meeting with the landlord later this week. Just wondering if Planet Fitness could sue the landlord for breach of contract after the fact....I know they can, just not sure if that's a mess I want to be in the middle of.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:51 AM   #2
Ken Nodes

Profile:
Re: Moving next to a globo?

I've been looking for a place for my affiliate and two of the places I liked were in the same complex as Globo's (both Retro Fitness's, they're popping up all over the place in NJ), one wasn't even in the same building, just complex. Both landlords said that they can't have another fitness facility in the complex. It would be a big issue. Not something I'd want to deal with......
Old 08-24-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
Stuart Brauer

Profile:

Definitely an ideal location. As a former member of upper-management for a globo here in Charlotte, I can tell you that a small box model like Planet Fitness is going to have 10+ cancellations per day. What better for them to walk out to when ****ed off and frustrated because they were drafted twice again this month than a CF gym!

Also, if you happen to not have showers in your facility, your clients can just purchase a Planet Fitness membership for $10 and shower there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
Any affiliates, or any members of an affiliate that is next to a globo-gym? Planet Fitness, Gold's, Bally's, etc?

We're looking for a place to expand, and found place next to a Planet Fitness. My biggest concerned is the wording that does not allow another "fitness" facility in the building. The lease agent thinks it ok, and meeting with the landlord later this week. Just wondering if Planet Fitness could sue the landlord for breach of contract after the fact....I know they can, just not sure if that's a mess I want to be in the middle of.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

I'd insist on having Planet Fitness's okay in writing before signing the lease. You and they are really going after different demographics, so it could work. But the bottom line is that when push comes to shove the landlord would rather lose you than PF, and you don't want your business to be in the middle of a landlord-PF dispute.

Katherine
Old 08-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
I'd insist on having Planet Fitness's okay in writing before signing the lease. You and they are really going after different demographics, so it could work. But the bottom line is that when push comes to shove the landlord would rather lose you than PF, and you don't want your business to be in the middle of a landlord-PF dispute.

Katherine
This is what we're asking to get, not holding my breath, as I don't think they would see it like you do. We have some members that actually do have a membership there for times they want to do things and we are not open. So I was trying to present it to them as such.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:57 PM   #6
AnsonYoung

Profile:

Most times the big gyms have non compete clauses in their lease.

Ran into one with a CURVES. Seriously, not even a women only compete clause, a full on NON COMPETE clause for any fitness facility in the same strip mall.

Of course we would have had to get their full written permission to sign a lease there. That said, I'm 99% sure Golds, planet fitness, 24 hour fitness, et al have their *** covered in their lease with the landlord.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:19 AM   #7
Rich Borgatti

Profile:

I ran into a non compete with Planet fitness. Same building but on the other end. took a week for the landlords lawyers to go through the lease and everything.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:06 PM   #8
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Borgatti View Post
I ran into a non compete with Planet fitness. Same building but on the other end. took a week for the landlords lawyers to go through the lease and everything.
omg, rich...are you guys moving to where i think you're moving?
Old 08-25-2011, 01:10 PM   #9
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Borgatti View Post

And? Not going there now?
Old 09-02-2011, 07:17 PM   #10
Rich Borgatti

Profile:

Yeah, we didn't go with that spot.