CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-09-2011, 06:16 PM   #31
Eric A. Brown

Profile:
Re: Defranco on Crossfit for Athletes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Boyle View Post

I think I'll just agree to disagree here. I believe you've drastically oversimplified things and forgotten a key aspect of physical conditioning: Injury Prevention.
This.

Coaches who wind up with injured athletes wind up in the unemployment office.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #32
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
I think I'll just agree to disagree here. I believe you've drastically oversimplified things and forgotten a key aspect of physical conditioning: Injury Prevention.
Which -- does it really have to be pointed out? -- is not really known as a strength of Crossfit.

Katherine
Old 08-09-2011, 07:08 PM   #33
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric A. Brown View Post
What exactly do you base this on?

Take several athletes:

1. Volleyball player.
2. Offensive lineman.
3. Swimmer.
4. Triathlete.
5. Ultra-runner (who finishes)
6. SHW powerlifter
7. 99 kg weightlifter.
8. Fencer
9. Downhill skier
10. Hockey player.

Are you seriously telling me you can train them using a general program? Or that their needs are not that different? And your answer must encompass both strength and conditioning.

Hell, even the two strength athletes need to train differently.
I see what you did there.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:40 PM   #34
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

What is the point of this thread?
Old 08-09-2011, 08:12 PM   #35
Mark Boyle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Europa View Post
Mark,

So you don't believe that many of the world's most highly respected experts on periodization are correct when they say that there should be a period of time dedicated to GPP at the beginning of the season?

The GPP phase is the time when athletes are able to work on stuff that ISN'T directly related to their sport, but builds their OVERALL fitness. And yes, this is advice directed at elite-level coaches and athletes. The SPP work comes in either intermittently during the initial phase of training or stays out completely until the athlete rolls into "Phase 2" of their plan.
No, I absolutely believe there should be a GPP phase. I'm not sure how I could make that more clear.

However, you and I disagree about what GPP is. Its purpose is to build a fitness base for the sport in question. This does NOT necessarily mean overall fitness and it is still sport specific. GPP for a weightlfiter is going to be very different than GPP for a distance runner which will be different than GPP for a basketball player.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #36
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

So GPP like crossfit is great for LE and .mil and the average joe. Sport specific for everyone else, check. This is silly.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:10 PM   #37
Boris Bachmann

Profile:

Bill,
GPP and SPP, as defined in CrossFit, is quite different than the way the rest of the S&C world defines it. As long as those definitions remain as disparate as they are currently, there's really nowhere to go with it.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:43 PM   #38
Alex Europa

Profile:

Quote:
No, I absolutely believe there should be a GPP phase. I'm not sure how I could make that more clear.

However, you and I disagree about what GPP is. Its purpose is to build a fitness base for the sport in question. This does NOT necessarily mean overall fitness and it is still sport specific. GPP for a weightlfiter is going to be very different than GPP for a distance runner which will be different than GPP for a basketball player.
No, you disagree with the top minds on the subject...I'm just parroting their information:

From Peak When It Counts by William H. Freeman (on the suggested reading list for USATF Level 3 Coaches):

Quote:
General training (basic conditioning) is training for the general functioning capacity of the athlete. It is the foundation of endurance, strength and mobility through training units...The objective here is to ensure that the athlete will be fit to accept and benefit from special training.

Special or specific training is training that develops the conditioning, traits, and technique that are specific to success in the athlete's events. Competition-specific training is training where technique and conditioning are completely rehearsed by applying the fitness acquired through special training to the event itself.
Note the underlined portions. It is quite clear that there IS a period of training that is devoted to preparing an athlete for their sport-specific training. I don't understand why you're having such a difficult time with the words "general" and "specific," as their definitions are already quite clear.

Furthermore, from Supertraining by Yuri Verkhoshansky:

Quote:
The GPP is intended to provide balanced physical conditioning in endurance, strength, speed, flexibility and other basic factors of fitness, whereas the SPP concentrates on exercises which are more specific to the particular sport. Characteristically, the GPP may include participation in a variety of different physical activities which provide low-intensity, all-round conditioning with little emphasis on specific sporting skills.
If that's not "overall fitness," I don't know what is.

- Alex
Old 08-09-2011, 10:44 PM   #39
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
They would benefit.

But they would likey benefit more from something taylored specifically to their sport.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you do Westside do you not? Would you be willing to switch to a strength based CF routine for your sport? Do you think that would be as good for you?
That is a bit of a ridiculous comparison. Powerlifting is an extremely specific sport. Most sporting activities involve more than one type of physical expression.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:05 PM   #40
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Europa View Post
Characteristically, the GPP may include participation in a variety of different physical activities which provide low-intensity, all-round conditioning with little emphasis on specific sporting skills.
That doesn't sound much like Crossfit to me, though...

Katherine