CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-09-2011, 01:40 AM   #31
Eric A. Brown

Profile:
Re: Is this a muscle up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
Hopefully no one really cares... But I'd like to believe folks would care about the difference in skills, and realize there are different ways to get on top of the rings, and the way he did it was not a standard muscle up.

You don't have to read into that fact that anyone thinks this was not impressive or to be heralded and respected.

Now the folks talking about no repping his DL or Cleans...different story, and there's room for argument there.

Food for thought though, if he was using LESS weight than Josh Everett used, and was not an ex-olympic athlete, would you care more??
It has nothing to do with the weight he was using. I was comparing his form to many crossfit vids that are said to be acceptable. These includes vids of snatches and jerks that are pressed out, etc. If you are going to allow 20 percent slop, that is what you have to accept in return.

It is not as if the little bit of effort it would have taken him to finish every rep would have added significantly to his time.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:47 AM   #32
Chris Hede

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
What is up with people commenting about him not hitting full extensions on the DL's and cleans?
Haters gonna hate.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:23 AM   #33
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric A. Brown View Post
It has nothing to do with the weight he was using. I was comparing his form to many crossfit vids that are said to be acceptable. These includes vids of snatches and jerks that are pressed out, etc. If you are going to allow 20 percent slop, that is what you have to accept in return.

It is not as if the little bit of effort it would have taken him to finish every rep would have added significantly to his time.
I think you missed my point a little...basically I'm saying who cares?

It wasn't a muscle up, that should really be the end of this thread...
Old 08-11-2011, 02:10 AM   #34
Barry Corcoran

Profile:

Hey Ashion.

What does the swing or rolls to support are not permitted part of this description mean that was given as a standard for the Games

Muscle-up
In the muscle-up you must pass from a hang below the rings to support above them. A kipping muscle-up is ok, swings or rolls to support are not permitted. The hands must roll out while at a full hang (with or without a “false grip”). The elbows must fully lock out while supporting yourself above the rings.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:01 AM   #35
Dave Traeger

Profile:

In one of the journal videos coach glassman teaches someone to do them that way. I can dig up which one it was if anyone cares. He should get straight arms at the bottom thought.

But he can move really well, I'd be happy if I could do that.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:07 AM   #36
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Corcoran View Post
Hey Ashion.

What does the swing or rolls to support are not permitted part of this description mean that was given as a standard for the Games

Muscle-up
In the muscle-up you must pass from a hang below the rings to support above them. A kipping muscle-up is ok, swings or rolls to support are not permitted. The hands must roll out while at a full hang (with or without a “false grip”). The elbows must fully lock out while supporting yourself above the rings.
Swings are not permitted? Did you see the muscle ups of all the competitors?
Old 08-15-2011, 11:33 AM   #37
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Corcoran View Post
Hey Ashion.

Muscle-up
Yeah that standard was not upheld, agree with Steven, I definitely saw some swings....

I didn't see these rules but I wasn't competing, so I didn't really care to look for them.

This guy is doing Ring Swings

Here is a Backward Roll to Support

Here is a Forward Roll to Support Remember your WFS designations. You're usually good about this, so I won't delete them.

Last edited by Aushion Chatman; 08-15-2011 at 11:38 AM..