CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-26-2007, 08:00 AM   #1
Jason Naubur

Profile:
Today is my 3rd day on the Zone diet. My diet previously was decent but I ate more during the day. I used the worksheet in Mastering the Zone to calculate my LBM, and Protein Prescription.

2 hours after some meals I almost feel hungry. I say almost because my stomach isn't grumbling and my cravings are tolerable. Just a vague feeling in my stomach where previously I would've eaten something.

My question - is this hunger, or lack of fullness? Am I getting used to eating less, or should I up my intake? Generally I try not to change anything I try from prescription until I have done it long enough to have a good handle on it.

TIA,
J
Old 03-26-2007, 10:08 AM   #2
Eric Lester

Profile:
Jason,

People that were carb junkies previously usually encounter a couple of weeks of feeling very hungry, but if you had a decent diet before this may not be the case. Also you say this is a vague hunger.

Would you mind sharing some numbers with us such as height, weight, body fat% and how you are going about the Zone? How many blocks a day, how many meals a day, etc. A day's list of meals might also be helpful to see what you are consuming.

There are lots of smart people on here that I imagine could help answer your question with a little more info.

Good luck!
Old 03-26-2007, 10:23 AM   #3
Jason Naubur

Profile:
ok, off the cuff-

5/8" Male, 168lbs, 15-17% BF (depends on how I test). I am using 16 blocks per day. 4/4/2/4/2

This morning was 1 cup cooked irish steel cut oats with 1TBS protein powder, 3/4 cup cottage cheese, 1/2 cup pineapple, 5 walnut halves.

Last night snack - 1/2 cup non fat yogurt with pecans.

Yesterday dinner was 6 oz catfish, 1 cup milk, 2 cups greens (mostly spinach), 1/2 apple, 4 macadamias.

Drawing a blank on my snack, memory is going!

Yesterday lunch was 4oz skinless chicken, 2 cups spinach, apple and pecans. This lasted pretty well as for hunger.

OK, as I write this I second guess the spinach / greens and realize that 4 cups is one block, not two. OK, need more carbs I guess. Man, that is a lot of greens. But this morning was good I think, and still the feeling which doesn't really get worse even going on 3.5 hours, from where it starts to become more hunger like.

j
Old 03-26-2007, 02:53 PM   #4
Eric Lester

Profile:
You and I are about the same size (I'm a tad shorter) and I'm doing 15 blocks. I generally don't start feeling hungry until 3.5-4 hours. If I wait till 5 I am starving.

Your diet looks very good to me. Upping the carbs like you said may hold you over that extra couple of hours. What I have found for the carbs is that variety is the key. Maybe do a cup of spinach and then some mixed vegetables. Trying to get very many blocks from one type of vegetables can become overwhelming fast (and is just boring for the sense of taste!)
Old 03-26-2007, 03:22 PM   #5
Kevin McKay

Profile:
If you try to get the majority of your carbs from non starchy vegetables than you will never again complain about lack of fullness and you will be getting much better nutrient density to boot.

Cheers.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:45 PM   #6
Jason Naubur

Profile:
What are some examples of non starchy veggies?

I always thought that Spinach was a good leafy green. Maybe that was indoctrination by popeye as a kid. :-)

j
Old 03-26-2007, 08:34 PM   #7
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Spinach, kale, cabbage, broccoli, celery, asparagus, cauliflower, it is almost impossible to eat to much of that stuff. Eat as much as you can and then fill in the carb deficit with a little fruit and you will never feel hungry

Cheers

(Message edited by kmckay on March 26, 2007)
Old 03-27-2007, 02:18 AM   #8
Chris Forbis

Profile:
And don't forget brussels sprouts. Only 1/2# needed for a block (compared to broccoli's 1# per block).